New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Kiwanis Trail to Telegraph Pass Lookout

Kiwanis Trail to Telegraph Pass Lookout is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 567 feet Route Type: Out & Back

trail was good for first mile up for dogs. would not reccomend the last part for smaller dogs. We didn't go the last part of the trail because it was too steep and you have to cross a road. the road is busier on weekends with traffic. fun hike and we got some good exercise while enjoying the nature and people on trail with us. go before sunset as this trail is blocked from the sun part of the way.

Great for beginner hikers. It is a shorter trail but once again the top you can begin other trails. Shaded for the most part and dog friendly

We did about 4.8 miles up to Telegraph Pass Lookout The parking lot was not full when we got there mid morning. We did Kiwanis to National to Ranger to Las Lomitas Trail Loop in the South Mountain Preserve. It was an easy hike. There were a couple of dogs doing it without any problems. The Kiwanis trail was busier but when we got to the rest of the trail and onto the loop, we only saw a couple of hikers. On the ridge, you get some nice views of the city.

This is a nice and easy trail both in and out. The trek to the lookout provides some elevation gain but nothing too difficult. It provides great desert views as well as a fun look over downtown Phoenix. You can combine this with the Telegraph Pass Trail for a good 5-mile hike. Went on a Monday morning and the traffic wasn't heavy at all.

Loved this trail, it has beautiful sights and is pretty well kept. I took my seven year old daughter and there were a few parts that had steep drop offs, but felt confident that she would be fine. Definitely a great one, cant wait to discover more trails in South Mountain!

I started at Scorpion Gulch Los Laminas to Ranger To Goat Hill across National Trail to the Overlook back down Kiwanis to Los Laminas so it was close to 8 miles for the loop I made but I highly recommend doing a big loop because you get to see everything in the Park, get lots of exercise, beautiful views and rock formations .

Good trail, 1 mile there, hiked in December, overcast, some rock stairs pretty easy going overall.

This is my favorite hike on South Mountain. It's minimally traversed, and it is just majestic on a Phoenix scale. In the spring, there is nothing that compares to its beauty!

great easy hike,mostly shady in late afternoon.

I've hiked the nearby Holbert trail to Dobbins Lookout multiple times, and while I enjoy the sweeping views of the Valley from the lookout point, the trail up there is always busy and the summit is mobbed with visitors both hikers and not. The Kiwanis Trail was a refreshing change of pace: similar terrain (even a few petroglyphs!) but hardly anybody on the trail going up and not a soul at the Telegraph Lookout, which offers a great perspective on far SW Ahwatukee and the Gila River reservation as well as the radio antennas. Be aware: I ran into two tiger rattlesnakes on my hike around sunset/early evening—just give them their space and they will move along.

The first original trail on South Mountain carved out by Kiwanis Club members, this is a quick out & back, up & down route for anyone short on time. The end of the trail marker is across the main park road. The National Trail takes you up to the Telegraph Pass Lookout where there are 360 views of Phoenix and Ahwatukee. From there, you can extend your hike and continue along National up to Goat Hill or descend back down to the road and jump on the Telegraph Pass Trailhead. It took me about an 1.15 hours.

Hiked this trail yesterday for first time. Great views and lots of beautiful cactus and rock formations. Did NOT enjoy having to dodge the pile after pile of dog crap. Come on people, if you insist on taking your dogs, it is YOUR responsibility to clean it up and pack it out with you.

solid trail! little bit buggy in May though

Great, dog friendly trail. Amazing views at the lookout!

actually did only about half of the trail before turning back because we were losing sun and wanted to drive up to the summit for our last sunset in AZ. however it was one of the prettier trails we hiked in arizona due to the dense abundance of cactus.

When you get to the top of this trail, you can continue onto the national trail. Easy hike.

Hiked this trail on 4/6/19 and the weather was nice. There was some shade but mostly sunny on the trail. Went up to the end and then continued on National trail.

Great views and lots of flowers blooming. It’s a good one to do and can be done quick.

one of my favorite trails. I hit it almost daily

Took the day off and hit the trail with our puppy. He an awesome job and now it’s nap time! Great hike!!

This is really a great trail for us and our dogs. We love it!

Nice hike with the pup today. Not too difficult at all. Will bring the kids next time.

nice views, pretty rocky in some parts tho. all in all a great hike!

Trail is easy for all ages and should be a good place to start training for more difficult hikes.

Thu Jan 24 2019

Really nice trail, not too difficult but a steady incline with lots of steps the majority of the way! I took my two small dogs and it was the perfect distance for them. Really beautiful views too!

Thu Dec 27 2018