Kiwanis Trail to Telegraph Pass Lookout

Kiwanis Trail to Telegraph Pass Lookout is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 567 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The first original trail on South Mountain carved out by Kiwanis Club members, this is a quick out & back, up & down route for anyone short on time. The end of the trail marker is across the main park road. The National Trail takes you up to the Telegraph Pass Lookout where there are 360 views of Phoenix and Ahwatukee. From there, you can extend your hike and continue along National up to Goat Hill or descend back down to the road and jump on the Telegraph Pass Trailhead. It took me about an 1.15 hours.

Hiked this trail yesterday for first time. Great views and lots of beautiful cactus and rock formations. Did NOT enjoy having to dodge the pile after pile of dog crap. Come on people, if you insist on taking your dogs, it is YOUR responsibility to clean it up and pack it out with you.

solid trail! little bit buggy in May though

Great, dog friendly trail. Amazing views at the lookout!

actually did only about half of the trail before turning back because we were losing sun and wanted to drive up to the summit for our last sunset in AZ. however it was one of the prettier trails we hiked in arizona due to the dense abundance of cactus.

When you get to the top of this trail, you can continue onto the national trail. Easy hike.

Hiked this trail on 4/6/19 and the weather was nice. There was some shade but mostly sunny on the trail. Went up to the end and then continued on National trail.

Great views and lots of flowers blooming. It’s a good one to do and can be done quick.

one of my favorite trails. I hit it almost daily

In town visiting family from Chicago. My wife and 4 kids did this hike yesterday. BEAUTIFUL scenery on the hike. Saw several friendly groups out there and we took our time to enjoy the day. A few steep sections where poles would have helped or reaching for a rock was needed. My 7 year old daughter did fine and my 3 older boys enjoyed going ahead a little bit. Would recommend for sure. Took us 1:40 round trip taking our time.

Took the day off and hit the trail with our puppy. He an awesome job and now it’s nap time! Great hike!!

This is really a great trail for us and our dogs. We love it!

Nice hike with the pup today. Not too difficult at all. Will bring the kids next time.

nice views, pretty rocky in some parts tho. all in all a great hike!

Trail is easy for all ages and should be a good place to start training for more difficult hikes.

Really nice trail, not too difficult but a steady incline with lots of steps the majority of the way! I took my two small dogs and it was the perfect distance for them. Really beautiful views too!

Worth the view

Great trail, pretty easy and has nice views at the end.

I really liked this trail. Nice views and not too busy when I went. If you look close you can see some petroglyphs at the beginning of the trail.

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Great workout but I spent the whole time swatting away or running from swarms of monster flies the size of cotton balls. I couldn’t really enjoy my hike. :( Lots of dog poop on the trail too. Please clean up after your pets, people.

Monday, April 02, 2018

Not easy, but not crazy hard! Lots of stepping up, great views when you look back. We found a lot of little shady areas to take short breaks. I had to park down the street in an overflow lot, and we met at 10:00am.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Back to South Mountain today. I used to live there, three blocks from the trails, and I was on the mountain 2, 3, or 4 times per week. Alas, now I live away and I have to travel back to use the trails. Oh well, went back for a hike today. I had decided to take Kiwanis up to National to have a look at the radio towers, but I forgot the way to Kiwanis! I knew it was reachable from behind the Environmental Education Center, and wandered around there until I found Los Lomitas Trail. I remembered that one, even though I hadn't been on it in years. Started down the trail, and soon enough came to Hideout Loop. Hideout Loop leads to an old adobe house held within adobe walls. I believe that was built around 1938. It belongs to the City of Phoenix now, but it is quite striking. Walking to the front door, I found that locked, but right next to it was a side door that was open, allowing entrance to the house! It was pitch black inside, since the windows are all boarded up. I walked in a short distance and found in the front room bedding and empty bottles. There have been residents, or at least campers. I headed away from the Hideout and then found Kiwanis and started up, I have traveled down Kiwanis a few times, but this was my first time going up. It's probably not quite as easy as Alltrails makes it out to be, but it's fully manageable. A pretty trail with things to see. Well worth the hike.

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Definitely not EASY! I wanted to take my pup on his first hike and he was tired about halfway up, due to the steepness! It was undeniably a very beautiful hike and had clearly marked pathways!

Friday, March 02, 2018

It an easy trail with the very uneven footing more like moderate. Lots of step up. Really recommend it. Great views and worth the hike to the top!

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Not an easy trail. This is listed as Moderate by the park department website. This is second such trail this app has listed as easy and is not. The Ma-Ha-Tauk is easy on this app but listed as difficult on the official website. Enjoyed the trail. A lot of stair stepping with some steps higher than a normal stair riser. Great workout on the calfs.

Sunday, February 04, 2018

Not an easy hike. Rocky, inclines, and steep steps in some spots. I would classify this closer to a moderate hike.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Friday, December 15, 2017

Good easy to medium hike up South Mtn. My wife and I went 2.2 miles up and back. Great views of the Phoenix valley.

Friday, December 08, 2017

Nice little trail, no scrambling but still some inclines to reckon with. Beware unclaimed poops throughout first third or so. Picked up some trash along the way. Great views of the city and cactus!