Kiwanis Trail to Telegraph Pass Lookout

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(412)
South Mountain Preserve

Kiwanis Trail to Telegraph Pass Lookout is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 567 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Stunning view of the city when you are on your way back! Only downfall, a little buggier than normal and some horse poo. Great easy trail otherwise!

Another great trial! Loved it!

This is an absolutely fantastic hike. It’s in my top 10. Kiwanis is just nice. Kinda easy but scenic (in a plant filled canyon sort of way) then the steep but short climb to national trail. National is easy , with up and down. Seems to be either packed or empty. Took mine drop down...a bit steep with lots is loose small screw.. slippy but just on the lower side of steep so you’re not sliding. Heard rattler, hiding in rocks.. had to go off trail. . Mine Drop is WAY better downhill than eliminator... which is super slippery at the end and way, way better downhill than lost ranch, which is ridiculously slippery, and tilted towards the dropoff.. lame!!Hit pyramid at 95 degrees after a night of drinking and I paid heavily. Longest hike ever at 10 mi. I’ve done pyramid before just fine but not this time. I was Just plodding up trail and some older dude passed me by a long shot.. by the time I got to Kiwanis for the way down my knees were shot. (On way up I thought oh! This is going to be so fun jogging down all these grippy rocks) So, 95 degrees is too hot for me for a 10 mile hike. bUT I would definitely do it again EARLIER in day. Really nice variety. Great route! Need my body properly prepped for this one

I would consider this trail more easy than moderate. Lots of shade if you go early in the morning. Took a little over an hour to complete with a few stops along the way and a break at the top.

Overall pretty flat trail until the end

Short and sweet! Lightly trafficked. Nice mix between shade and sun. Limited parking. Will do this again. Took me 55 minutes with no breaks

Absolutely loved this trail! Perfect for a shorter hike.

No problem finding parking on this mid-afternoon Wednesday. Took me 2 hours round trip going at a slower to moderate pace with a few breaks to enjoy the scenery. The Telegraph Pass hut is pretty cool. Too bad the inconsiderates choose to leave their trash behind. Some petroglyphs can be seen not far from the trailhead. Look to the right just before the brick layered dam.

Lots of greenery in the area with some poppies starting to bloom. Gradual uphill from the start, frequent steps ranging in height from 6-14”. From the road at the top to the viewpoint is a more strenuous uphill with a rockier path.

Enough elevation for a cardio workout. Beautifully green desert plants mid-February. Nice rock formations. I would not recommend this trail for anyone with cranky knees. There are many places with 9-16 inch step ups/downs.

trail was good for first mile up for dogs. would not reccomend the last part for smaller dogs. We didn't go the last part of the trail because it was too steep and you have to cross a road. the road is busier on weekends with traffic. fun hike and we got some good exercise while enjoying the nature and people on trail with us. go before sunset as this trail is blocked from the sun part of the way.

Great for beginner hikers. It is a shorter trail but once again the top you can begin other trails. Shaded for the most part and dog friendly

We did about 4.8 miles up to Telegraph Pass Lookout The parking lot was not full when we got there mid morning. We did Kiwanis to National to Ranger to Las Lomitas Trail Loop in the South Mountain Preserve. It was an easy hike. There were a couple of dogs doing it without any problems. The Kiwanis trail was busier but when we got to the rest of the trail and onto the loop, we only saw a couple of hikers. On the ridge, you get some nice views of the city.

This is a nice and easy trail both in and out. The trek to the lookout provides some elevation gain but nothing too difficult. It provides great desert views as well as a fun look over downtown Phoenix. You can combine this with the Telegraph Pass Trail for a good 5-mile hike. Went on a Monday morning and the traffic wasn't heavy at all.

Loved this trail, it has beautiful sights and is pretty well kept. I took my seven year old daughter and there were a few parts that had steep drop offs, but felt confident that she would be fine. Definitely a great one, cant wait to discover more trails in South Mountain!

I started at Scorpion Gulch Los Laminas to Ranger To Goat Hill across National Trail to the Overlook back down Kiwanis to Los Laminas so it was close to 8 miles for the loop I made but I highly recommend doing a big loop because you get to see everything in the Park, get lots of exercise, beautiful views and rock formations .

Good trail, 1 mile there, hiked in December, overcast, some rock stairs pretty easy going overall.

This is my favorite hike on South Mountain. It's minimally traversed, and it is just majestic on a Phoenix scale. In the spring, there is nothing that compares to its beauty!

great easy hike,mostly shady in late afternoon.

I've hiked the nearby Holbert trail to Dobbins Lookout multiple times, and while I enjoy the sweeping views of the Valley from the lookout point, the trail up there is always busy and the summit is mobbed with visitors both hikers and not. The Kiwanis Trail was a refreshing change of pace: similar terrain (even a few petroglyphs!) but hardly anybody on the trail going up and not a soul at the Telegraph Lookout, which offers a great perspective on far SW Ahwatukee and the Gila River reservation as well as the radio antennas. Be aware: I ran into two tiger rattlesnakes on my hike around sunset/early evening—just give them their space and they will move along.

Thu Jun 06 2019

The first original trail on South Mountain carved out by Kiwanis Club members, this is a quick out & back, up & down route for anyone short on time. The end of the trail marker is across the main park road. The National Trail takes you up to the Telegraph Pass Lookout where there are 360 views of Phoenix and Ahwatukee. From there, you can extend your hike and continue along National up to Goat Hill or descend back down to the road and jump on the Telegraph Pass Trailhead. It took me about an 1.15 hours.

Mon May 20 2019