Learn more

King Canyon Trail to Wasson Peak

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(241)
Saguaro National Park

King Canyon Trail to Wasson Peak is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,840 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy but strenuous hike with cool desert scenery all the way up and a great payoff at the top. The Bighorn fire spoiled the westward view but the rest was beautiful. The trail is impressively laid out and maintained. However, its fully exposed from sunrise to sunset so wear sunscreen and start EARLY!

Holi cannoli I loved this hike! I went counter clockwise as I saw recommended and it was awesome! The trails down are longer but less steep than the trails up. This hike had a nice steady incline up to the summit with awesome 360 views. Then each trail on the way down was so different- and I especially enjoyed the nice sand/gravel on the way down- so it was easy to walk while admiring the beauty. I would absolutely do this one again. Happy Trails Friends!

This is a beautiful trail, easy to follow. A bit rocky in some areas. I would definitely do this one again

one of the best trails I've hiked in a longtime

excellent loved the flowers

Trail was extremely rocky majority of the way. Trail isn’t marked well. You start out in King Canyon Trail but need to take Sweetwater Trail which is in the washout area (1 mile +/-). Follow the stairs to the right. Great view of Tucson. Don’t forget to sign your name in the register at the end (peak).

Great hike! Was very fun and a good hike for the whole family.

Nice trail. Not in my top 5...but in that next tier. I found it easy to follow the trail. Didn't make it all the way to the summit. About .5 short. Next time for sure. I consider slightly into the upper portion of the moderate scale. Great aerobic walk. Definitely worth a hike if you have the time.

Great hike overall. Trail was clear cut and easy to follow. Rocky, like pretty much any hike in AZ is. No real shade, so plan for that. Parking lot was also fairly small. The flora along the trail however, was amazing. We took King Canyon trail up to Hugh Norris trail. The incline was consistent, but not to drastic. There is only a short section in which you hike through some soft sand. Once you hit the junction to Sweetwater trail, you'll start to go up a lot of switchbacks as you make your way over to the Hugh Norris junction. Then it is just a quick hike over to the summit. Up top, there are great panoramic views of Tucson and the surrounding mountains. It also gets pretty windy up there. Definitely a moderate level hike with no scrambling.

One of the best hikes in Saguaro NP West and not crowded. Here's a tip: You'll hike from Kings Canyon to Wasson Peak which is pretty moderate and a little rocky to start. Now coming back take the High Norris trail " to Esprenza trail this will loop you back to Kings Canyon Trial. The views are amazing and you''re not going out n back. Yes it's about 1.4 miles more but you'll be glad you did it. The best part of the hike was the back side of the loop. Bring water and snack with good hiking shoes. We started at 9:50 AM and finished at 1:30 PM. Best of luck and have a good hike!

Only did part of this trail due to getting a late start. Really enjoyed the section we hiked!

This was my favorite trail in Saguaro. We started our day on the opposite side of the park and stopped for lunch on our way through Tucson (Renee’s Organic Oven is delicious if you’re also looking for food recommendations), so we got a late start on this hike. Started around 4:45p for a sunset hike on Valentine’s Day, knocked out three miles in an hour and twenty minutes before we stopped to watch the sunset a little shy of the peak. The trail is a gradual climb, but the last 1.2 miles turn into switchbacks and it feels a lot steeper. The trail is very rocky and cacti are all around the edges, so definitely wear hiking shoes. I wore shorts and hit my legs on maybe one or two cacti prickles up and back down. Definitely recommend this trail for sunset or sunrise or the middle of the day!

Tough but very rewarding hike! Scenery at the top is amazing.

Great trail. Steep at times. Nice views on the wash on kings canyon