Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Kent Spring Trail 156 is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sonoita, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,607 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Tucson: Leave Interstate 19 at the Continental Road/Madera Canyon Exit #63. Turn east and follow signs to Bog Springs Campground in Madera Canyon Recreation Area. Turn left into the campground and drive around the loop to the trail parking area. The trail follows an old roadbed past campsite # 13.

I also vote for counterclockwise. Way more water than I expected. Lots of shade and lots of steep.

Trail was in good shape. Echo the counter-clockwise for the loop section. Reminder that there’s an $8 fee for day parking in all of Madera canyon. Bring cash.

fee

Hiked this trail clockwise , had nice views. Steep at some parts but was fun. Going down loose gravel. Used my hiking poles for more grip. Nice are by the river to grab a quick snacks. Very green and pretty flowers. Don’t forget 8 dlls fee for parking have exact amount.

I reviewed this after doing the hike, but I can’t find it anywhere. I believe the distance is 5.8 miles because I didn’t make any major mistakes and that’s what my distance ended up being. Roma and I started early and loved the cool weather and the shade. We went counter-clockwise because I wanted to get the steep out of the way on the incline to save my knees and ankles coming down. Even though I saw the elevation for this trail, I underestimated how steep it would be at the top!! I had to catch my breath many times!! Roma kept pulling, she was in a hurry to go up and down! Down was rough (it always is) on my ankles and knees. I did not see Bog Spring, but I was confused by the sign. My best guess is that it was 0.1 miles in the direction of the “dead end” that someone added to the sign. We had mostly shade, only a little sun on the way down. We saw three other people/groups and they chose to go clockwise. I don’t regrew the decision to go CCW... I don’t think I could have gone down that super steep part!! Total time: 2 hr 39 min (would have been much slower without the dog)

recorded Kent Spring Trail 156

Second time on this trail. Hiked counterclockwise which I think is steeper. My daughter Christa and son in law Jon were also with me. All three springs had much water.

Great trail, but closer to 7.5 miles than 5.3. Trail in good shape. Take the left fork heading to Bog Springs if you want the steeper, narrower, more switchback portion of the trail to be going up. This is also the portion of the trail with views of the valley. Take the right fork to follow the canyon stream. Trail has a lot of rocks overall. Throughly enjoyed the trail, but would rate it closer to difficult given the rockiness and the grade. Not recommended if you have knee problems.

Beautiful trail. A nice cool day and not another person on the trail. Fall leaves on the white oak were gorgeous. Went up the Kent Spring trail and down the Bog Springs trail. Last half mile of Kent Springs trail was steep and first mile of Bog Springs trail down was quite narrow. Wonderful day!

Watch out for rattlesnakes, saw one about 1 mile in.

Sat May 11 2019

Good bun burning hike! Not very many hikers...lots of flowers and bees :)

Mon Mar 11 2019

Lots of down hill on a Jeep road. Many downed trees & limbs. They didn’t hamper our hike. Beautiful creek flowing along the road.

Mon Mar 11 2019

Sat Mar 02 2019

I started from Bog Springs Campground with my dog. I hiked the trail counterclockwise. There is a lot of debris on the trail. It makes it very difficult to circumvent. I think with all the snow we had the week prior it brought down a lot more trees and branches. It was a steady climb to Kent Springs and the snow at the highest elevation was calf deep. Coming down the trail from Kent Springs to Bog Springs the trail narrows significantly. It is also more difficult to keep track of the trail. When I got to the horseshoe on the map I lost the trail completely. There are so many downed trees and some snow I was unable to find where the trail picked up. I went back to the point where I lost the trail and tried again to stay on it with my GPS. I could not find a trail. Without GPS I would have been lost. I found my way to Bog Springs on my own. Even from there it was difficult to see where the trail picks up. There are no markers or cairns. After reconnecting with the trail I made it out alright. I would have given this hike 5 stars. It’s views are incredible the challenge is rewarding, but it needs some major cleanup in my opinion to be safe. I had Verizon cell service the whole hike.

Mon Feb 18 2019

Absolutely beautiful, especially when the water is running.

Mon Feb 11 2019

Did this trail on 1/5/19 .. started counterclockwise as I read in other reviews; and it was great!! there was a lot of snow, in some places as deep as 1 foot. we saw deer tracks and a mountain lion paw print, so be careful up there!! on our way down the snow was packed so it was slippery. I'll definitely do it again!!

Sun Jan 20 2019

I’ve done this trail a few times. I prefer going clockwise so I go down on the steep part from Kent Spring to Sylvester Spring. I like the scenery and the vegetation. Creek was running today which was nice.

Sun Sep 02 2018

great hike!!! Went clockwise and stopped at Bog springs first.. went onto Kent springs and finished thru Sylvester springs. Miles were very close to what it says and so was altitude. Has alot of shade and today is was 70 degrees when we started. We are slow so took us 4 hours but that included alot of stops to enjoy the views.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Great lollipop trail. We went clockwise one the loop. Climb was difficult and decent was steep. Great views, nice change of scenery, cool breeze.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Great day hike especially in winter when there is snow.

Mon Apr 17 2017

We did a bactrack once we hit Sylvester Springs (dog was getting a limp). The way back down was a little sketchy in spots but a beautiful fun trail. Can't wait to go back when it greens up too!

Sun Mar 05 2017

I've done this loop several times. The bulk of the uphill section is an old service road of some kind. There is one section that we've heard referred to as Heartbreak Hill, that is really steep as you approach Kent Spring. Then it becomes a trail as you do the downhill section on the way back. Nice loop and some huge oak trees at the Kent spring area. So this loop passes Sylvester, Kent, and finally Bog springs if going counterclockwise.

Sun Feb 12 2017

Great views- perfect distance for a good workout with mod elevation gain.

Fri Feb 03 2017

Amazing green trail! The trek blew me away. Fairly moderate hike. Trekking poles in some areas are nice going down hill. Overall the trail was well maintained. The trail was so lush! Totally forgot I was in AZ! Some much wildlife! It is truly an ornithologists dream hike! The water in the streams are also super crystal clear! I even dared a handful of water from a flowing pool! Highly recommended

Sun Nov 15 2015

It's early November- my family and I just finished the trail. It's challenging for littles, going uphill from Kent Springs to Bog Springs, but overall was a pretty easy trek. A portion of the trail followed a running creek. We spotted 4 white tail deer along the way!

Mon Aug 04 2014

My husband and I hiked this whole loop trail (Bog Spring + Kent Spring) yesterday. Moderately challenging, but not too long if you don't want to spend the whole day. Lovely, unexpectedly lush vegetation-- very easy to forget that you are in Arizona! I'm sure a botanist would love this hike... Plus, this was a great trail for wildlife viewing-- we saw tons of birds, and best of all, a momma black bear and her two cubs! (That was the first either of us had seen bears in the wild, so we were just thrilled!) They were 1/4 to 1/2 a mile off the trail, just after the end of the Bog Spring section. Unfortunately, it was too far off for us to get a photo. But overall, a lovely hike!