Kendrick Mountain Southside Trail

Kendrick Mountain Southside Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coconino, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Take Hwy. 180 North to FR 193, about 10 miles north of the turnoff to the Arizona Snow Bowl; turn left on FR 193 and continue to FR 171. Turn right on FR 171 and go 2 miles to FR 190; turn right on FR 190 and go 1 mile to the parking area.

Loved the 360 view from the top!

A very well maintained trail with beautiful views. There were about a million flying ants at the tower which prevented me from exploring not up top. A little over nine miles and I was tired after I returned to the car. Fun hike

Very nice views and trail was easy to follow; even in the rain.

Fabulous! Even in the rain!

Great alternative to Humphreys which was closed at this particular time. Well marked trail. Can do this with sturdy tennis shoes. Very cool manned fire lookout station at the top and helo pad. Great view! Started early. Very sunny on way back down. Great hike!

Tons of hikers as good alternative to Mt Humphreys that was closed due to fire restrictions. Views from top are great in all directions. Fire tower was manned and he gave great info on whole area. Constant up hill for entire hike.

Loved it. Trail is in great shape. Perfect grade to get the heart pumping. Wonderful 360 degree vista from the summit. Plus the nicest people for our fellow hikers. Glad we made the trip from Phoenix.

There aren’t many trails that I would jump on doing twice. This trail is one I would. It was beautiful from walking through the pines, hiking through different views of the nearby mountains, and roaming along the beautiful wild flowers. I really enjoyed this hike and was surprised that it wasn’t harder with the elevation that is gained. This one I mapped at 9.5 miles, taking me 4 hours and 20 minutes. I took 150 pictures in that time. I felt the top was nice but the saddle near the cabin was better. It is a bit windy at the top so make sure to have a proper jacket if the weather is cooler. The dirt road (7 miles) to drive to the trail head was well maintained and I had no issue with my low clearance vehicle. You certainly do not need a 4x4 to get to this one.

Steady climb all the way up. Views from the top are beautiful!

Good steady climb mostly moderate grade the whole way up, great views from the summit. Perfect day hike or elevation training for humpreys etc. Well maintained trail.

Beautiful hike. Minimally rocky constant uphill to the top. You pass through burned forest areas. Fire lookout on top not manned today. Views on north side simply stunning — all the way to the Grand Canyon.

Beautiful hike up, just in time for the sunset. Don't plan on coming down in the dark unless you have a good trail dog or a headlamp, as some of the switchbacks are also runoff channels, and you could easily wander wrong. 2 hrs up in the daylight, 2 down in the dark. as of 4/21/18, no snow to speak of on or around the trail. great views of the SF Peaks and the NSF has done a terrific job rebuilding the trail after the big fire.

Fun trail. Very lightly trafficked on a Sunday morning.

beautiful hike

The long dirt road leading to the trailhead is an adventure on its own. Once you arrive the trail there is a pit toilet and map to get your bearing. There is a creek crossing which was dry in December. Lovely views throughout and the almost 360 views from the lookout are terrific. 3 hours up and 2 hours down. Definitely a nice trail. A few spots of larger loose rocks which I call ankle twisters and then some loose gravel so take some care there.

Cool hike with interesting and beautiful views. Gradual but consistent incline the entire way with many switchbacks. The trail is very well maintained. I loved the smell of the mountain air, very refreshing. There were many areas where the trees and plants are burned from the recent Boundary fire as well as past fires, but new plants and wildflowers have grown and bloomed since then, so it is recovering. The upper 1/3 of the trail appears to have been minimally affected by the fires. Was interesting to see the 100 year old cabin near the top. Views from the summit are amazing - can see the Grand Canyon, many other mountains and hills. Hundreds of birds over the course of the trail. There was nobody in the lookout tower on a Sunday afternoon so we couldn't enter. Only saw 7 other people over the entire hike. It was 4.42 miles from the trailhead to the summit, 8.85 miles round trip, according to my GPS.

Friday, August 18, 2017

I hiked this in April of 2015. It's steep the whole way with a few good views before reaching the top. Much of the trees on surrounding hills were burned from the Schultz fire several years ago (I think 2010). I was not dressed for a hot day, so was fairly miserable in long pants. Other than that, it was a good hike. It doesn't beat the views from Humphreys but it's still quite euphoric to reach the summit and stand on the old helicopter pad, looking out on the green hills and valleys below. Bring plenty of water! And be prepared to sweat.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Great hike beautiful views

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Hiking sticks highly recommended. The incline starts at the trailhead and doesn't stop. A lot of switchbacks, probably would not recommended for those not in hiking shape (we thought we were on hiking shape - thanks goodness for our hiking sticks). We only saw about 5 other people on the trail and there was some tree maneuvering/climbing the higher we got. We didn't make it to the top due to no yak tracks and some leftover snow in the way but we will absolutely be back to finish.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

I'm sorry Hoang, I misspelled your name.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

just did the trail today, and it was GORGEOUS!!! Thanks to Huong, I was able to calculate the time accordingly, thank you.

Friday, October 28, 2016

The trail is much longer than 7 miles, i think it's about 11 miles round trip. Trail is well maintained and easy to follow. It's not rocky or steep like the elden lookout trail. It is windy up top. The view is beautiful, you can see all the area around when you get to the cabin. And you may have to drive through the dirt road to get to the trailhead. This is my first unexpected long trail, but i still manage to finish it in less than 6 hours. Cheers!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great hike our devices said it was about 10-11 miles round trip . Counted only 24 people on trail and only 12 that went all the way up to lookout.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Beautiful hike that was way less crowded than Humphrey's Peak, but still had pretty great views. We added this hike into our plans pretty last minute after we finished the Lava River Cave and were not ready to set up camp. It is longer than 7 miles for sure, but the trail itself is pretty mild--less rocks and difficult sections than you would expect for a peak this high. It is much easier on the knees on the way down than Humphrey's Peak. Since it is located in the forest, it was very easy to find a good place to camp 10 minutes away from the trailhead, although the area surrounding the parking lot is closed to camping.

Monday, July 11, 2016

I've done this 3 times and it never gets old. Good trail with amazing views as you climb. The cabin is always cool to check out and sign in. It is about 9 miles all the way to the tower.

Monday, June 13, 2016

The round trip distance from the trailhead to the look out tower is more like 9.3 mi. Nice smooth trail which allows for trotting every so often. Great views!! Cabin and look out tower are worth the trip.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

My favorite hike in Flagstaff hands down! So beautiful! The views are spectacular especially of the peaks. I wouldn't call it easy though because you are gradually going up the whole time.

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Awesome Trail that showcases views of the San Francisco Peaks back to east & the fire damage from 2000. Highlights were the Fire Watch Tower & cabin circa 1912 near the summit. Entirely smooth & runnable trail! Seth, can you send that loop info to rundavejames@yahoo.com. We were looking at Pumpkin to make a longer loop. Thank you.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

The roads getting to the trailhead are so washed out from all the monsoons we've had this summer. A 4x4 is HIGHLY recommended, Otherwise, it may be a 4 mile additional trek on foot to the trailhead. Destination to trailhead is 90A.

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Beautiful hike. My girlfriend & I completed it in 4 hours. Moderate difficulty only because there aren't really any steep gains until you climb to Kendrick Lookout. But gaining 2600' is no small feat. Really enjoyed the breeze at the top. Great views all around.