Kendrick Mountain Southside Trail

Kendrick Mountain Southside Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coconino, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Take Hwy. 180 North to FR 193, about 10 miles north of the turnoff to the Arizona Snow Bowl; turn left on FR 193 and continue to FR 171. Turn right on FR 171 and go 2 miles to FR 190; turn right on FR 190 and go 1 mile to the parking area.

The long dirt road leading to the trailhead is an adventure on its own. Once you arrive the trail there is a pit toilet and map to get your bearing. There is a creek crossing which was dry in December. Lovely views throughout and the almost 360 views from the lookout are terrific. 3 hours up and 2 hours down. Definitely a nice trail. A few spots of larger loose rocks which I call ankle twisters and then some loose gravel so take some care there.

Cool hike with interesting and beautiful views. Gradual but consistent incline the entire way with many switchbacks. The trail is very well maintained. I loved the smell of the mountain air, very refreshing. There were many areas where the trees and plants are burned from the recent Boundary fire as well as past fires, but new plants and wildflowers have grown and bloomed since then, so it is recovering. The upper 1/3 of the trail appears to have been minimally affected by the fires. Was interesting to see the 100 year old cabin near the top. Views from the summit are amazing - can see the Grand Canyon, many other mountains and hills. Hundreds of birds over the course of the trail. There was nobody in the lookout tower on a Sunday afternoon so we couldn't enter. Only saw 7 other people over the entire hike. It was 4.42 miles from the trailhead to the summit, 8.85 miles round trip, according to my GPS.

I hiked this in April of 2015. It's steep the whole way with a few good views before reaching the top. Much of the trees on surrounding hills were burned from the Schultz fire several years ago (I think 2010). I was not dressed for a hot day, so was fairly miserable in long pants. Other than that, it was a good hike. It doesn't beat the views from Humphreys but it's still quite euphoric to reach the summit and stand on the old helicopter pad, looking out on the green hills and valleys below. Bring plenty of water! And be prepared to sweat.

Great hike beautiful views

Hiking sticks highly recommended. The incline starts at the trailhead and doesn't stop. A lot of switchbacks, probably would not recommended for those not in hiking shape (we thought we were on hiking shape - thanks goodness for our hiking sticks). We only saw about 5 other people on the trail and there was some tree maneuvering/climbing the higher we got. We didn't make it to the top due to no yak tracks and some leftover snow in the way but we will absolutely be back to finish.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

I'm sorry Hoang, I misspelled your name.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

just did the trail today, and it was GORGEOUS!!! Thanks to Huong, I was able to calculate the time accordingly, thank you.

Friday, October 28, 2016

The trail is much longer than 7 miles, i think it's about 11 miles round trip. Trail is well maintained and easy to follow. It's not rocky or steep like the elden lookout trail. It is windy up top. The view is beautiful, you can see all the area around when you get to the cabin. And you may have to drive through the dirt road to get to the trailhead. This is my first unexpected long trail, but i still manage to finish it in less than 6 hours. Cheers!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Great hike our devices said it was about 10-11 miles round trip . Counted only 24 people on trail and only 12 that went all the way up to lookout.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Beautiful hike that was way less crowded than Humphrey's Peak, but still had pretty great views. We added this hike into our plans pretty last minute after we finished the Lava River Cave and were not ready to set up camp. It is longer than 7 miles for sure, but the trail itself is pretty mild--less rocks and difficult sections than you would expect for a peak this high. It is much easier on the knees on the way down than Humphrey's Peak. Since it is located in the forest, it was very easy to find a good place to camp 10 minutes away from the trailhead, although the area surrounding the parking lot is closed to camping.

Monday, July 11, 2016

I've done this 3 times and it never gets old. Good trail with amazing views as you climb. The cabin is always cool to check out and sign in. It is about 9 miles all the way to the tower.

Monday, June 13, 2016

The round trip distance from the trailhead to the look out tower is more like 9.3 mi. Nice smooth trail which allows for trotting every so often. Great views!! Cabin and look out tower are worth the trip.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

My favorite hike in Flagstaff hands down! So beautiful! The views are spectacular especially of the peaks. I wouldn't call it easy though because you are gradually going up the whole time.

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Awesome Trail that showcases views of the San Francisco Peaks back to east & the fire damage from 2000. Highlights were the Fire Watch Tower & cabin circa 1912 near the summit. Entirely smooth & runnable trail! Seth, can you send that loop info to rundavejames@yahoo.com. We were looking at Pumpkin to make a longer loop. Thank you.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

The roads getting to the trailhead are so washed out from all the monsoons we've had this summer. A 4x4 is HIGHLY recommended, Otherwise, it may be a 4 mile additional trek on foot to the trailhead. Destination to trailhead is 90A.

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Beautiful hike. My girlfriend & I completed it in 4 hours. Moderate difficulty only because there aren't really any steep gains until you climb to Kendrick Lookout. But gaining 2600' is no small feat. Really enjoyed the breeze at the top. Great views all around.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

I hiked this trail with my son Ron while we were visiting my other son Bob, who was working. The trail was moderate and the 8 mile RT to the top took us about 5 hours. We lingered for a long time at different view points. We saw a coyote on the trail, it didn't even give us any notice. The views of the SanFranciscos were great once we got to the top. We have nothing to compare to 10,400 foot mountains back in Rhode Island..out highest point is Jerimoth Hill at 812 foot, quite a difference! Nice hike, the "old man" made it.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016