New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Kachina Trail #150

Kachina Trail #150 is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,528 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 7 miles northwest of Flagstaff on US 180 and turn north (right) on the SnowBowl Road (FR 516). Follow this paved road about 7 miles to the Snow Bowl Ski Area. Drive into the first parking lot on the right (south). The Kachina trailhead is located at the south end of the parking lot.

recorded Kachina Trail #150

icy

We only made it about 0.5 miles in because of snow and ice. Bring crampons if you want to do any considerable distance. The portion we did was serene.

gorgeous trail. hiked a few miles of it this morning with the pups.

Super pretty, but the trail was hard to follow at certain points... only went up 2mi though

Good hike, fall colors this time of year with the aspens

The fall colors are ridiculous. Beautiful only begins to describe.

Beautiful trail with aspen groves, fields of ferns, and tall grass meadows. Provides great views. I was running for a few portions of the trail and completed it in about 4.5 hours. Well worth it!

Did a three trail loop over three days.. Day 1) Weatherford trail; beautiful but it was tough with a pack! Only went in a few miles past Kachina Loop from Schultz Creek and set up camp. Day 2) 15 miles up to Humphrey’s saddle and down into Snowbowl into the Kachina Loop trail for second camp. Day 3) Kachina Loop back to Schultz.. All three trails were great. Weather was chilly and windy. Couldn’t summit Humphrey’s due to crazy wind and clouds blowing blocking visibility. No water anywhere on trail so we had to carry 8 liters each.. I finished with an extra 1.5 liters still. Highly recommend if you have a long weekend! Just be prepared for some elevation and a lot of water!

Although it’s a bit of a long hike the meadows and the views are well worth it.

First part of the trail is well shaded and through a beautiful forest. It then opens out onto a south facing slope with grand views.

Nice cool and shady. Very pretty the mile and half I hiked

We didn't complete the whole trail, but we loved the parts we did do, and will be back to finish it :) Absolutely beautiful, and lots of shade!

Great cardio workout on this hike. We did the whole 10 plus miles. Beautiful cool afternoon. I highly recommend downloading the map.

Awesome trail and a must hike. Aspens were beautiful and want to return in the fall. I didn't have trouble following the trail on way out but followed wrong trail twice on way back so check All Trails. I don't believe 10.2. we measured with multiple devices including all trails. slight variations but all over 11 miles total.

recorded Kachina Trail #150

Great, HARD hike with Carolynn. Museum Fire active.

Loved this trail! Very green, shaded. Lots of grass, trees, ferns. In a dumb ass move of the century I forgot my hiking shoes and ended up hiking about 3 mi in my flip flops and still made it. That is to say that the trail is well marked, flat, with occasional rocks and is easy to navigate. At least as far as I made it. Being from Phoenix, the altitude sickness def made itself known with headache and dizziness so be careful. Would love to come back more acclimated and do full 10 mi

A beautiful trail! Be the early bird to enjoy some solitude, as usual. If you're not a local and journey up from the Phoenix area, be mindful of the altitude. Stay hydrated and listen to your body. The trail is well established and easy to follow. Enjoy and don't forget your camera!

Fantastic hike. We didn’t go the entire distance. We hiked about 3/4’s of the hike, then turned around. Beautiful evergreen trees, aspen trees, fern, and great views. No problem hiking in, but lost the trail on our way back. Pay special attention near the boulders.

Kachina Trail was an excellent hike! Once you arrive to the trailhead there is plenty of parking in a maintained lot. Along the trail I saw other hikers, but the majority was clear! I recommend taking it easy and just enjoy the scenery as you go. Overall Kachina Trail is an easy hike with terrific scenery.

Definitely a good hike to get out of Phoenix and the heat. Don't run into too many people on the trail and it's got some great views as you get up there but the scenery along the way is great too. Plenty of shade throughout, a few open air spots but they aren't bad.

Great hike to get out of the Phoenix heat in the summertime. There’s a big lot for parking and the trail is well maintained but some trees had fallen over the trail and you have to jump over them. It wasn’t very crowded and the dog loved it.

Beautiful forest and in some areas beautiful views of Flagstaff. The trail is great, but watch your step as there are many roots across the trail & some rocks. A mile or so in we heard a bird singing loudly (never heard a bird sing so loud & continuously), then 2 hours + later upon returning, and in the same area, we heard the same again. As there were also a few fake flowers placed in the same area, it made me wonder if this were a recording? Why fake flowers? Just noting it here to see if anyone else made the same observations. It’s definitely a favorite trail!

This is a very nice and scenic Trail. It is well-maintained. Just be careful on the boulder section at about 1 1/2 miles in and stay to the right. Go directly over the boulders do not venture to the left. The vegetation especially the ferns and the lupines were very pretty today. I would highly recommend this hike.

A really pleasant and chill day hike. Great variation between shaded tree cover and beautiful clearings. Song of the hike: heart and my car - summer salt

Absolutely gorgeous trail. This is definitely my new favorite trail in AZ. It's not a difficult trail at all, and the scenery is gorgeous from the get-go. But you can still get some exercise. The mix of tall pines, aspen, boulders, and fern made for some stunning views all along the trail. The fern at some points were taller than my six-foot tall husband. I like that you could easily make this into a shorter and still very satisfactory hike, or connect to another trail if you want to make it a longer one. I see this being a go-to hike.