Josephine Saddle Madera Canyon Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(156)
Mount Wrightson Wilderness

Josephine Saddle Madera Canyon Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Green Valley, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,666 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 1-3 hours

The Super Trail is great. Decent shade all the way up with a nice gradual grade. Came down Baldy Trail and there are some spots where the dry sand made for some slips so exercise caution if heading down this way.

Went up Super Trail and down Old Baldy. With my knee I might try the other direction. Nice hike with plenty of shade. Super Trail is narrower than I like.

Took old baldy up.. very snowy and icy. Took super trail down and while longer.. it seemed better given the condition of the other trail! Loved today’s hike!

To baldy saddle. Heavy snow. Crampons and gators used

steady ascent up the mountain, once you get to the saddle, you will see several trails converge at that area. if you take the super trail to descend the mountain, the distance is longer, but it is more scenic and the descent is more gradual. we will hike this trail again. My only negative comment was we did encounter some dogs thatwere unleashed. we will do this hike again.

fee

No sure what happened Got lost but found my way.

easy trail and very fun on the way up there is a small natural spring and the water isn't so completely clean but from the pipe it's great cold water

areas were a little rocky but nice

This is a solid hike. Mountain covered in wildflowers. challenging but worth it

It was okay

Sun May 12 2019

Fairly easy hike with shade. Came across a turkey, squirrels, and a woodpecker. The views were beautiful. Will definitely come again in the fall.

Sat May 04 2019

beautiful view amazing work out.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Beautiful scenery and moderate incline definitely doing again!

Tue Mar 26 2019

Our group of ladies likes going up the Super Trail and going down Old Baldy Trail. Great day in the mountains. We do this trail every year in the spring.

Sun Feb 17 2019

I clocked at 6 miles round trip. I like this hike for a relatively easy, leisurely hike. Lots of shade and wildlife.

Fri Dec 28 2018

Nice trail. Well kept and some good views of Baldy.

Sat Nov 24 2018

Went up via Old Badly trail and it was nice moderate climb, not to bad. In the shade of the mountain most of the climb so it was chilly especially at the top of the saddle. Came back down via Super Trail which is an easier trail and more scenic in my opinion. (I took more pics on the super trail) More sunshine more views of the valley below and a running stream of water next to the trail.

Fri Nov 09 2018

Great Hike... will returne soon!

Mon Oct 08 2018

Dog friendly. Nice hike. Good climb to the saddle. Got cold and rainy on way down. Early October.

Thu Mar 22 2018

We went up Super Trail to Josephine Saddle and back via Old Baldy. Great scenic ridge views both ways. Super is a much more gradual climb, which was essential for us given we are here from the North and acclimating to the elevation change.

Mon Mar 19 2018

I went up via Old baldy Trail and returned via Super Trail. For me it was more than moderate on the way up. I think that route should be listed as Josephine saddle loop trail.

Sat Feb 10 2018

Hiked up super trail side and down old baldy. Nice hike with some beautiful views.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Super trail rt to Josephine sadle. On the way down, a bear was spotted about half a mile before we got to the out house. So much water and the gushing sound was so beautiful!. Did a little more than the trail called for and that because I kept forgetting things in the car so had to go back and forth from the old baldy trailhead where our car was parked to the trailhead 5 times. Must be age!

Tue Jul 25 2017

Not a hard trail at all,, was shooting for mount wrightson summit but my new hiking friends didn't make it, so we took a turn and still put in 6 miles!!

Sun Jan 08 2017

Good uphill hike. Very shaded and an amazing view at the saddle.

Mon Sep 12 2016

Lots of shade with a steady uphill climb. I have done it several times and will definitely do it again.

Tue Apr 26 2016

Old Baldy up to Josephine saddle is a good steady uphill climb. The saddle area has good camping sites too if you want to backpack in. Dog friendly!

Thu Feb 18 2016

Good workout using Old BaldyTrail to Saddle, returning via Super Trail. Totally different environment from local desert mountain trails. Lots of overhead conifer cover similar to Colorado.