Javelina Canyon and Ridgeline Loop Trail

Javelina Canyon and Ridgeline Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 561 feet Route Type: Loop

Go in March! Everything will be in bloom.

It’s a workout up along the ridgeback. The valley was a nice change on the return. Next time pack more water to continue further on the ridgeback. Hiking poles would have been nice.

Not a difficult trail...but what a work out! The small ups and downs along the Ridgeline are like a stair master workout. Really felt like I had a workout - not just a hike - when done.

If you start on the ridge trail your legs will not be as fatigued with the climbs. It was an easy path to follow, well marked. I would definitely do it again

Great trail, well marked but at south mountain there’s a ton of trails so you have to pay attention. Very little shade so go early or during the cooler months. Will definitely do again

Great trail, hooked up with ridge line trail back to Beverly trail very nice work out.

The loop, Beverly-Ridgeline-Javelina trail, going counterclockwise would be easier because you will hit the steep undulations of the trail in the beginning when your legs are stronger. The return loop is a more gentle downhill walk. Also, you will be rewarded with the Ridgeline view earlier in your hike. My family went clockwise and we were feeling the fatigue in our legs at the end. The Beverly trail starts at the same area as Javelina trail except it’s on the opposite end of the parking lot. Loved the hike. Will go again going counterclockwise.

I did this with a friend and then we went to The Farm afterwards for lunch. Great choice!

Great view of downtown. Very beautiful right now.

Did this hike in early March and it was beautiful. Started up on Javelina and came down Ridgeline. I did get lost ~1/3 mile after turning onto Ridgeline and went down to Beverly Canyon (I think). About .5 miles into BC I decided that I really wanted to finish on RL so I backtracked. Took me just under 2 hours for 4.5 miles. The flowers are beautiful around this time of year so definitely recommend it. Probably saw ~15-20 people during the hike but it didn’t feel crowded. I did this hike alone and didn’t feel unsafe at any moment. I would definitely comeback but I’d like to hike as much of South Mountain and I can. Next time, I would do RL to JC. This would give me a good ascent/descent workout in RL and could jog back down on JC if I wanted.

Great trail for hiking, running, or biking. Javelina is gorgeous and once you turn on ridgeline, it’s exactly that: an awesome hike on the ridgeline with amazing views. And it’s never overcrowded, overall great hike

Great trail system. Many options.

Great trail. Nice wildflowers with all the rain.

Lots of flowers the other week.

Quick and relatively easy hike. Went counterclockwise so the second half was mostly flat

Awesome workout and the views of Downtown Phoenix were amazing! The trails weren't confusing and level of difficulty was perfect.

Awesome quick hike in South Mountain. The day I was here the fog was so thick it was like being on a movie set. Great views of the city and the rest of the park preserve!

Great scenery, easy trail markings. Wonderful how it connects to so many different trails on South mountain.

overall it was a good exercise. it is easier going counter clockwise. parking was free and well marked trail. the view was ok, I mean its normal rocky mountain nothing special

Love these trails!

Good views of the city easy in easy out

Amazing Hike with Friends.....Great Incline Workout....Moderate/Easy......

This was a great hike. The direction we took made for an intense workout because it was hilly. This is my first time hiking in Arizona and wow, the sun is no joke (it was in late October). Take the water advisory very serious. It was in the sun the whole time but really beautiful!!

Javelina was a nice trail but Ridgeline was amazing! The views of the Phoenix skyline are breathtaking from the ridgeline high points. I was baby carrying and the hills were tough, but it was a great workout. Definitely would do it again. Maybe I got confused with the switch from javelina to ridgeline trail but you have to pay attention to the posts. We focused on javelina trail and passed the ridgeline trail and just kept walking until we hit all the other trails. Overall, definitely think this trail rated moderate was accurate.

Kicked my Butt! Javalina Out and looped back in Boulder Trail :). Definitely a moderate hike from 9 am-11:00am....No washrooms, marked well! Great Incline and Workout

We have gone up this trail two weeks in a row and have really enjoyed the loop. The steep hills are probably the “hardest” part of the trail but not crazy.

Javelina trail is really fun, I go up Ridgeline for more scenic views

Started down Javalina at 5:30am and finished at 7am before it got too hot. The sun hits your face on Ridgeline so I recommend sunscreen. The hills on Ridgeline can be tough to varying degrees but each one pays off with a great view.

A great experience in the city. Moderate challenge from the elevation change on Ridgeline and a more relaxed hike through the valley on Javelina. Simple, beautiful views of the city and surrounding mountains throughout.