Javelina Canyon and Ridgeline Loop Trail

Javelina Canyon and Ridgeline Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started down Javalina at 5:30am and finished at 7am before it got too hot. The sun hits your face on Ridgeline so I recommend sunscreen. The hills on Ridgeline can be tough to varying degrees but each one pays off with a great view.

A great experience in the city. Moderate challenge from the elevation change on Ridgeline and a more relaxed hike through the valley on Javelina. Simple, beautiful views of the city and surrounding mountains throughout.

This is one of my favorite to mtn bike. Hiking it is too easy unless you are taking slower hiker(s) out to overlook the city.

I do this trail every morning before work, its perfect for beginner hikers or trail runners with easy to follow paths and lots of fun hills. Not a lot of clear signs where trails cross, so definitely check the map before your first time out. Great city views.

Great hills for a flatlander from Houston. I combined the JC and RL with an out and back section of the Mormon trail to get in a 6.5 mile run. I did get turned around a little because I’m new to using the app and the trail markings are weathered in some locations but it’s not like it’s so remote it was a problem. Great views of Phoenix at dawn. The elevation training was good, just enough climb to challenge me but not overwhelm. I don’t get many opportunities to run hills on the gulf coast so this was a welcomed change. I would definitely run the South Mt. Preserve again on future visits.

Awesome hike! If you are afraid of heights, I wouldn't advise Ridgeline. Took my husband, daughter, and I about 2 1/2 hours to complete but we took a few short breaks. Great views!

Not too strenuous, well marked and easy to run.

Did this one at night and it was pretty cool!

mediocre hiking but lools great for biking and alot of bikers

Kid friendly

great trail for a good quick hike

Mav & me SuperBowl Sunday pre-game hike. Very warm early Feb. weather, 78 degrees at end. went through 4 liters water between the 2 of us. Good mix of elevation increases and decreases. Beautiful day!

We actually did the Ridgeline to Beverly Canyon loop on this day. Trying to edit link to correct hike. Both loops are great! Javelina~Ridgeline a bit more difficult. Good choice for 1-2 hour workout, or into longer trails, with lots of extension/connection options. We headed up the Ridgeline/Javelina Canyon for quick 500’ elevation gain and good cardio with pretty views North into city, and then circled back down Beverly Canyon. Brought our dog who enjoyed it too!

Could be a great combo hike/trail run
Some bikers on javelina.
Decent parking that includes dirt lot.

Good workout. Not impressed with the scenery. Good views of Phoenix skyline. I think I saw 3 golf courses. Probably won’t go back. There are much better hikes.

Good workout, trail climbs and falls which is good
For fat burning. Highly recommend this one for a solid hour work out. Easy to navigate.

Good quick trail under an hour that still gets your heart rate up.

Lots of loose rocks on the way back down the ridgeline trail so watch your footing or you’ll wind up on your bottom like I did!
Clean trails and so many great views into the canyons and out towards the city.

So much fun doing this trail today!

Great views along ridge line at night.

Took a wrong turn and ended up on the ridge which added another 1.5 miles which was totally worth it!!

Amazing views from the Ridgeview section of this walk. Only 3.5 miles but lots of climbing to get those views. On the challenging side of moderate.

A lot of significant climbing up and steep downhill areas. Beautiful hike but more challenging than expected. Took my two dogs and they were exhausted at the end.

This was a fun trail! Some incline areas but not difficult at all. We went Beverly and around to ridge line then javelina and really enjoyed this trail.

This trail was a little rocky in certain parts. Lots of little incline sections. I would totally do this trail again. We were able to take our 3 and 6 year old as well and they loved it!

Friday, June 09, 2017

easily marked trail. Grest for biking.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Great hike, perfect for sunsets. Great views of downtown PHX.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Fun trail with some climbing, a few tight corners and a section on a thin highly exposed side of a small peak. Nice practice for the harder trails.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Great views Trail is Ricky and slippery so be careful.