Island Trail

Island Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

partially paved

historic site

It has been more than 700 years since Walnut Canyon echoed with the words and sounds of a vital pueblo community. You'll see 25 cliff dwelling rooms along the trail; more are visible across the canyon. Spectacular canyon scenery and plantlife. Strenuous, especially for those not acclimated to 7,000' elevation. The trail descends 185 vertical feet into the canyon, and returns the same way. The trail is paved, but not accessible to wheelchairs, due to steep canyon terrain and many stairs.

A beautiful setting filled with rich history, fantastic views, and a good burn on the way up all the stairs. It's a short hike, but well worth it, especially if you go up and down the stairs twice.

Loved the trail. Hiked with a group of kids and they all did well! Paved and not very natural but it’s cool for what it is. Hiked it back in July

Awesome scenery

Really awesome to see the dwellings!

9/7/18, A.M.
After Wednesday’s fiasco at Doe Mtn., wanted to try this one out. Great trail for me in that it’s paved and many incline areas have handrails, not to mention the path is not narrow!

Great points of interest with info and great views along the way.

Have water handy, needed more so on way back up (those stairs are a cardio/heart rate killer! lol).

The history and views are awesome. The fact that you get to actually be inside the Sinaguas’ dwellings is amazing!
A must do hike!

I love this little trail. It's not very long, but the stairs back up make it physically satisfying. the canyon is beautiful, the plants are interesting, and the history is fascinating. It amazes me that such a gem is so close to town -- just a freeway exit out of Flagstaff. I like to visit this park every time I visit Flagstaff.

It's so interesting! Many rooms under the rocks. It's funny to live here.

More of a tourist walk than a hike, but so interesting to learn about the living conditions and culture of the Sinagua tribe and how they lived during the 1100s and during the period when the San Francisco peaks were active volcanos.

The steps will get the heart pumping.

There is a $10 fee per person as it is a national monument. If you are looking to hike Walnut Canyon, there are other more authentic trails.

Excellent trail and not too difficult a trail with good views of the park.

So nice

Lots of stairs, but we did this with children (ages 8-12) and they did it no problem. Fun with lots to look at on the way. Would definitely do it again.

Nice walk. Lots of wildlife. Good info from the rangers. Take it slow coming back up esp. if it’s hot out.

Nice quick walk! So different from the Grand Canyon but as beautiful to explore. I do not recommend for people who cannot handle stairs. My mom had a hard time going back up. But easy for most.

The cliff dwelling make it worth dealing with crowds. Good quick “walk”, more than a hike. The stairs are the only thing that will get you a little winded.

Nice! Interesting for sure.

This was an awesome unexpected hike. We stopped by because it was close and we needed to kill some time, but it ended up being a highlight!!! The kids loved the Indian ruins and they really are super cool!!!! But, wow...A LOT of stairs! My kids (11, 8, 5) did this but it was tiring! Plus, there are some areas that do not have railings. As a mom I was stressed in parts, but I would do it again. But I wouldn’t recommend for younger kids unless they are being carried.

An unexpected and really cool stop on our way from Bryce to Grand Canyon. We aren't usually big on human history, but this monument was well worth our time.

Well maintained trail with beautiful scenery. Definitely a good trail worth my trip.

Nice informative hike! Plenty to see! Trail is paved. The climb back up is a bit of a chore but not bad at all. Fun!

Fairly easy hike, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was a little winded going up the stairs on our return back though. We went around noon and there were a good many people there. Definitely neat little hike and great view.

An easy hike! It was a great follow up to Montezuma’s castle as now we got to see inside the dwellings. Lots of stairs, but short and easy!

Monday, January 01, 2018

Walnut Canyon is a great little stop if you are in the area. Canyon and cliff dwellings were neat to see! This hike is more towards easy if you are in shape. recommend for all levels to do though.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

I took my 3.5yo and my 11mo (in a pack) and this was a great hike. It’s more of a walk. Most (if not all) is paved and it has rails on a majority of the cliff edges. Some parts of the trail are a little narrow (just FYI). There are stairs, but it’s not too bad. Great views of the canyon and it was awesome to able to explore the ruins. Would definitely go on this hike again.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

A great trail me my husband and daughter enjoyed it very much. Be ready to climb stairs.

Friday, October 27, 2017

The trail is nicely constructed with stones stairs, very easy to walk on. Though certain segments require more effort to walk up/down, there are many benches available to sit and rest. There are trees along the trail, so it's cool. The best part is the view of Walnut Monument! You'll love this trail.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Great for tourists! Beautiful views.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Short nature walk on paved loop. Steep stairs coming back up to visitor center. Small-kid friendly trail. Sit inside ruins and cliff dwellings! My older kids enjoyed the educational and cultural aspect. Pay National Park fees $$$ at the gate or use annual pass. Should have taken a picnic and stayed a while.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Simple hike in the historic site. Interesting ruins. Was a fee for entry. Steep stairs to the "island". but doable by most, even if they have to take their time.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Did this short little hike a few years back when our daughter was at NAU. It's an easy hike, but does have some stairs that need to be climbed when heading back up. Pretty cool cliff dwellings and doesn't take long to do.

Monday, June 26, 2017

great place to check out Some ruins