Island Trail

Island Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

historic site

It has been more than 700 years since Walnut Canyon echoed with the words and sounds of a vital pueblo community. You'll see 25 cliff dwelling rooms along the trail; more are visible across the canyon. Spectacular canyon scenery and plantlife. Strenuous, especially for those not acclimated to 7,000' elevation. The trail descends 185 vertical feet into the canyon, and returns the same way. The trail is paved, but not accessible to wheelchairs, due to steep canyon terrain and many stairs.

Nice walk. Lots of wildlife. Good info from the rangers. Take it slow coming back up esp. if it’s hot out.

Nice quick walk! So different from the Grand Canyon but as beautiful to explore. I do not recommend for people who cannot handle stairs. My mom had a hard time going back up. But easy for most.

The cliff dwelling make it worth dealing with crowds. Good quick “walk”, more than a hike. The stairs are the only thing that will get you a little winded.

Nice! Interesting for sure.

This was an awesome unexpected hike. We stopped by because it was close and we needed to kill some time, but it ended up being a highlight!!! The kids loved the Indian ruins and they really are super cool!!!! But, wow...A LOT of stairs! My kids (11, 8, 5) did this but it was tiring! Plus, there are some areas that do not have railings. As a mom I was stressed in parts, but I would do it again. But I wouldn’t recommend for younger kids unless they are being carried.

An unexpected and really cool stop on our way from Bryce to Grand Canyon. We aren't usually big on human history, but this monument was well worth our time.

Well maintained trail with beautiful scenery. Definitely a good trail worth my trip.

Nice informative hike! Plenty to see! Trail is paved. The climb back up is a bit of a chore but not bad at all. Fun!

Fairly easy hike, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was a little winded going up the stairs on our return back though. We went around noon and there were a good many people there. Definitely neat little hike and great view.

An easy hike! It was a great follow up to Montezuma’s castle as now we got to see inside the dwellings. Lots of stairs, but short and easy!

Walnut Canyon is a great little stop if you are in the area. Canyon and cliff dwellings were neat to see! This hike is more towards easy if you are in shape. recommend for all levels to do though.

I took my 3.5yo and my 11mo (in a pack) and this was a great hike. It’s more of a walk. Most (if not all) is paved and it has rails on a majority of the cliff edges. Some parts of the trail are a little narrow (just FYI). There are stairs, but it’s not too bad. Great views of the canyon and it was awesome to able to explore the ruins. Would definitely go on this hike again.

A great trail me my husband and daughter enjoyed it very much. Be ready to climb stairs.

The trail is nicely constructed with stones stairs, very easy to walk on. Though certain segments require more effort to walk up/down, there are many benches available to sit and rest. There are trees along the trail, so it's cool. The best part is the view of Walnut Monument! You'll love this trail.

Great for tourists! Beautiful views.

Short nature walk on paved loop. Steep stairs coming back up to visitor center. Small-kid friendly trail. Sit inside ruins and cliff dwellings! My older kids enjoyed the educational and cultural aspect. Pay National Park fees $$$ at the gate or use annual pass. Should have taken a picnic and stayed a while.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Simple hike in the historic site. Interesting ruins. Was a fee for entry. Steep stairs to the "island". but doable by most, even if they have to take their time.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Did this short little hike a few years back when our daughter was at NAU. It's an easy hike, but does have some stairs that need to be climbed when heading back up. Pretty cool cliff dwellings and doesn't take long to do.

Monday, June 26, 2017

great place to check out Some ruins

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Amazing! Great views of cliff dwellings and lots of cool desert fauna. You learn a lot about the Sinagua and their way of life. There are lots of stairs to climb but plenty of spots to pause and take breaks. Definitely worth the time.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Great hike! Lots of steps but we just took it slow and in chunks on the way back up. We are not in the best shape and it was a very enjoyable hike! The ruins were pretty amazing, great views, and lots of pretty birds.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

This was a fantastic trip! The scenery was beautiful and there are plenty of spots to rest on the way back up the stairs if you have/are older people. The ruins are amazing and you can see other ruins along the canyon. Very recommended.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Simply fascinating! See how many other dwellings you can find on the other canyon walls.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The trail begins inside the Visitor's Center and there are lots of steps to take you down into the canyon where the trail takes you through the cliff dwellings of the Sinagua people. What makes this trail a bit tough is the ascent back up to the Visitor's Center.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

We did this hike in the summer when I was 7 or 8 months pregnant to escape the heat of Phoenix . Besides there being a lot of stairs the hike was rather easy and enjoyable. Loved the ruins and the park rangers were so knowledgeable!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Cool cultural and historical experience but not an exercise hike.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The archeological site and nature trail signes were a big hit for my 8-year old son. The stairs down and back up are managable, but require functional legs for sure. The trail around the "island" about 1/3 to 1/2 -way down the canyon walls is paved and quite easy.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Excellent views into the past. Very well maintained trail.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Pace yourself on the stairs coming back. Beautiful walk, and cool breezes.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Not sure why this was rated as hard. I'd say moderate at most only because of the stairs going back up. Definitely worth it to see the canyon and ruins. There were plenty of little kids walking it.