Inner Basin Trail

Inner Basin Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Entrance to road is closed due to extreme fire risk

May 16th 2018. Yes the road is rough and narrow going in but totally worth it. The aspen are not quite yet fully leafed out and wildflowers haven't arrived but still a great hike and absolutely beautiful!! The elevation will leave you gasping for breath if you're not used to it - 9780 at the meadow - but it's a steady climb and never steep so just take it slow and enjoy the scenery.

road is currently closed 3 miles before Trailhead. closed for the season, unmaintained Road.

Who says after the leaves it’s not worthy. So worthy

I had a great time hiking the inner basin trail today. The dirt road to the trailhead was not too bad. I have a sedan and it worked just fine. I just put it in low gear and went slow. On the trail, I would highly recommend stopping once you hit the large meadow after the Jeep road. I hiked the whole trail till it hits the weatheford trail. For the amount of effort and time it took, it was not worth it. There is no grand finale at the end. Just steep climbs with no payoff. I hiked it at the end of November. I would recommend bringing a light jacket. At the trailhead there is no wind and you may think you won’t need a jacket. Once you hit the meadow, the wind is pretty strong.

Cold windy day so going up was challenging hiking into strong wind gusts but coming back was a breeze. Beautiful hike even without the leaves in the Aspens.

Really good hike however I would make sure the leaves havent dropped - not easy to get to - the last few miles to the trailheads are on a really poorly maintained road - if I had my SUV no problem - rental car different story

Did this trail the other day. The leaves had all fallen but the scenery was still amazing!! And coming around the corner to the view in the Inner Basin was well worth the hike! About 4 miles round trip and it took roughly 2 hours which included a decent amount of time spent in the basin admiring the view!

It was a nice hike. No leaves, but still fun.

We missed peak as all the golden leaves had fallen to the forest floor. But still heaven on earth. Nice moderate hike through switchbacks in the aspens out to the inner basin. A must do hike!

Very nice hike. Nearly all the fall leaves are gone. But I want to make a correction to the map. The Inner Basin Trail goes beyond the highlighted line as depicted. It actually continues along the Waterline Road for about four tenths of a mile and then continues on to the Weatherford Trail #102. So if you take the full trail, it is more like 8-9 miles. If you are really ambitious, you can take the Weatherford Trail all the way to the top of Mount Humphreys. There is a bit of a challenge getting to the Inner Basin trailhead. The forest road near the top of the approach to Locket Meadows is wide enough for only one and a half cars. There aren't many turnouts so you have to be respectful going up and coming down to other traffic. Parking can be a problem on weekends if you are not there by 8 a.m.

Went 10/14/2017 and 99% of the trees had lost their leaves. The ground had some yellow because of the fallen leaves but we we're just too late. Still pretty but disappointed that we missed it.

Beautiful even if part of the forest still shows signs of a past fire, which actually give it colors and color diversity worth seeing.
Moderately easy and with beautiful aspen trees that unfortunately had almost all lost their yellow leaves in mid-October.
No vistas however and too many people for my taste, which removes a star.
Worth it if you are near Flagstaff or even Sedona.

Absolutely beautiful with the changing colors. Only gave it a 4 because it was so crowded and the road getting there isn’t the best (narrow with a steep drop off). Loved the hike itself and the scenery.

Beautiful trail.

This is a trail I've hiked a few times now. Third year in a row to see the Aspen leaves at full fall colors. It's beautiful any time of the year, but it's really a treat to see the golden tree lines! If you have a chance to see it, definitely try to plan it. I'd say this weekend to early next week is the last chance for this year.
We went on a Thursday, and it was definitely better than trying on a weekend. During peak season, only the first 100 cars will be allowed in, so if you are going this weekend, plan a super early morning!

This was a beautiful hike! The trees were beginning to change and we were able to get great photos. A couple pieces of advice:

First, the road in is steep, twisty, bumpy, washboard at times, and dirt. Using a car will probably work, but be warned you may bottom out or strike the bumpers. If you have a truck (like me), SUV, or crossover, you'll be fine.

Second, there are a lot of people that hike here on weekends. It's surprising how empty the trail seems compared to the amount of cars. Parking is horrible. Do yourself a favor, pay the $8 per car and park in a guaranteed fee spot. Once you do, you get to use that area the whole day. You can have a fire, eat lunch, or just relax after your hike.

If you choose to "roll the dice" and try the free area, be warned. Don't park in the grassy areas along the road (because there aren't any spots) be prepared to get a ticket from a ranger. I'm sure the ticket is more than $8. Don't be one of those people. Otherwise, it's a really great hike and totally worth the drive in and out!

Fun

Hiked this today. Had the whole trail to ourselves on the way up. Made it to the Inner Basin meadow and it was beautiful. I strongly recommend doing this hike. The aspen stands are magnificent on the way up and the ascent is steady and fairly easy.

Breathtaking!

Beautiful hike. I went from Lockett Meadow to the Inner Basin Trail and up to Weatherford Trail. Totally worth it, if I had started earlier, I would have taken the Weatherford to Humphrey's Peak Trail.

I hiked this trail last week with my daughter and her dog. At 59 this was a Great trail for me, I enjoyed it. It was cooler on that day with rain. Aspens were nice a couple of switchback and before I knew it we where the inner basin hut.

I LOVE this hike! It’s my second time going and I will keep on coming back in the future! Some things to note from this trail is that it is
1. Up the mountain which requires you to drive up a 1 way dirt road (so go slowly!) 2. There is a steep incline near the end of the trail so if that is a problem I recommend just going until the end of the forest trail and turning around.
But other than that this hike is fun, a little challenging, and offered great smells, beautiful scenery, and is just overall great. I recommend going in either mid spring or summer as there might be snow anytime before that. And the trees will provide enough coverage to block out the hot summer sun!

Gorgeous hike, not too strenuous, amazing views. Easy with a steep incline at the end, and the weather was cool the whole time. Took somewhere around 3-5 hours to finish, but I took the trail slowly to soak it all in. Keep in mind there is a dirt road on the way to the trailhead, but it was nothing the sedan couldn't handle. Highly recommended.

Great gradual incline hike! Our pup loved it!

Awesome place with amazing scenery. Would love to come back.

This is a beautiful trail. I took it to Weathorford and then Weathorford to Humphreys Peak. That made it 16 miles round trip, so if you're going to do that bring plenty of water. Took me about 7 1/2 hours with only a few brief stops to apply sunscreen (which you really need!) or pull some food out of my pack to eat as I hiked. There was snow covering weathorford in a couple of places on the side of a mountain so that was exciting/scary depending on the condition of your quads at the time (on the way up, sort of fun; on the way down...I just didn't want to slip and die).

hiked it on the way up to the Weatherford trail and then to Humphreys trail. Alot of snow once you get to the spruce forrest