Indian Maiden Falls via West Clear Creek Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(113)
West Clear Creek Wilderness

Indian Maiden Falls via West Clear Creek Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Camp Verde, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips.

Length12.4 miElevation gain2,250 ftRoute typeOut & back
HikingNature tripsRock climbingViewsWaterfallWildlifeRockyScrambleNo shade
Description
Waypoints (0)

The road to the trailhead becomes difficult and rocky and only suitable for very high clearance vehicles. Also, beware the trail is not clearly marked. Be sure to bring enough water for the whole hike.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (118)
Photos (141)
Recordings (87)
Completed (164)
Paige Sommers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 14, 2021
HikingGreat!

Absolutely gorgeous. The hike down and up is a little bit challenging but it’s so worth it. Make sure you get started at a decent time as the sun was completely down for the last 2 miles of the hike.

wesley whiteman
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 4, 2021
Hiking

you. need off road car !

Joselin Hernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

EASILY one of my major life experiences! Was a very hard trail but absolutely a breathtaking experience! Do no recommend for new hikers ! Definitely pack water, snacks and floaters!

Baylee Reighard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 15, 2020
Off trailScramble

Had an absolute blast! What a wonderful hike! Would 10000% not recommend bringing your four legged friends between the tough rocky terrain to navigate and multiple creek crossings it was too much for my little buddies.

Lisa Bernardi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Beautiful hike. Amazing views, breathtakingly fresh water, red rock canyon walls make for wonderful views the entire times. After reading some of the reviews we were a bit worried about this hike but found it easier than expected, don’t get me wrong it was very hard and took us 10ish hours to go down and back with a short break at the falls. We are a fit group of people who are experienced hikers FYI. The climb down to the canyon is steep but definitely doable, just take it slow and sit on the ground on the way down if you need to as the lava stone is loose in many places. Easy to follow trail down and when you reach the creek travel upstream to the falls. At this point you basically follow the creek all the way up (roughly 3 miles) which means you choose the best path and cross the river many times (most of which are knee to waste deep walks and some you can choose to rock hope above the water). Be sure to bring floats for your bags and dry bags for your essentials as you have to swim 3x before reaching the falls, the first swim is roughly an Olympic size pool length. When at the falls you can jump off some of the cliffs!! So wonderful! Bring plenty of food and water (and get a filter like the Sawyer squeeze on Amazon super small and effective and since your spending more than half of your hike next to a creek it’s perfect!) as the hike takes time (steep, boulder hoping, river crossing, swimming ect). Start early we started around 9:30 and didn’t get off the trail until well after dark (the sun was completely down by 6:40pm) luckily we were a decent way up (had maybe 1.75 miles left 1.1 of which was on flat land) and flashlights so we got off safely and the hike was cool at night! Camping would be cool down by the falls as we saw a family doing just that! Highly recommend just be prepared and enjoy Gods beautiful planet

Sally LeBlanc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
Hiking

Camped at west clear creek. Hiked 2.1 miles to junction of Indian maiden falls, then hike 1 mile up towards falls before heading back to west clear creek to get our packs and hike out to bulk pen.

View Sally's Recording
James Dicken
Backpacking
View James 's Recording
jonny sorg
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2020
View jonny's Recording
Melanie Rauscher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
FishingBugsFeeGreat!Over grownRockyScramble

The drive in is not bad at all. I made it all the way to the turn off in an Impala, no lift. The FR in gets narrow at some points so you may have to stop as another car passes and vice versa. The only part that you will absolutely need a lifted clearance vehicle is when you make the right hand turn to drive to the trailhead. If you parked before that turn like I did, I think the walk is about a 1.5 miles to the trailhead. The beginning of the descent is slippery volcanic rock and the steps are steeeep sometimes. I'm just going to say, be careful the entire time (both down, to the falls, and up). When you get to the last little shimmy before the stream, I always go left and this takes you to a dab of climbing. Again, the red rock is fragile and slippery so be careful. You will then be down into a small pool that has always been dry when I'm there, save for a disgusting green, stagnant small pool. Follow that and the stream is right there! The falls are about 2 more miles to the left. I recommend having a dry bag and 2 pairs of shoes for river crossing. Very shorty after heading upstream, you will have to get at least chest deep, if not swim in the water but it's insanely refreshing. I took the left hand bank the whole way to the falls. Once you get to the falls, the water was running surprisingly well for a wicked drought season. The water was the perfect temperature and it has never been too crowded. If you plan on camping like I always do, may I suggest a tent? There are so many skunks you'd think Pepe Lepew finally caught up with that cat and they have been cranking out kids since the 60s. DO NOT leave food out! The skunks, ringtail cats, and I may have even seen a mongoose, will try to steal it. Tons of bugs so, just be aware. I completed the descent in less than 2 hrs, the ascent in just over 2hrs BUT I left late afternoon and asscrack of dawn. Otherwise, 100+ temps will be daunting and dangerous. Finally, if you bring it in, you bring it out. Please don't trash this place, it is one of the most beautiful places in AZ. Happy hiking!

Nemir S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2020
Zay Zay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
CampingGreat!

Beautiful waterfall, the place itself is amazing. We camped there for a night. The hike however took a lot longer than what we anticipated. To hike down it took us 6 hours, you do need to be careful in some places going down, there is loose rocks. Once you get to the water, is either going zic zac from one side of the river to the other side because there is no clear path. There is a point where you have to go inside the water to keep on going and the rocks are VERY slippery so be careful there. You do need a floatie to literally cross to the other side. You could swim without one but the swim is long. When we started to hike back it took us 8 hours to get to the car. It was hot, we had hiking backpack and we ran out of water almost at the end. I have so many cuts, bruises and blisters because you can’t help to get that in a place that is not well maintained and it’s nature at it’s finest. Would recommend if you can handle. Bring a lot of water, you will need it!!

Jackson Heiss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

BRING EXTRA WATER. Wife and I did this, in and out, all the way to falls and back, today. This trail is beautiful and exciting, but it is a serious drain between, hiking, climbing and swimming. We both agreed, our noon hike, in July, in Death Valley, was less strenuous. it was much shorter, but it was 124 degrees. This would be a beautiful 2 day, and lots of beautiful spots to camp exist along the route! Happy hiking!

View Jackson's Recording
Spencer Bates
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailRockyScrambleWashed out

If you’re planning on hiking this in the dead heat of the summer, I would recommend getting an early start, staying overnight, then hiking out the next morning. I tried doing it in one day and didn’t have the best experience. Heading down went pretty well until the trail disappeared right before reaching the creek. I had to bushwhack my way over and around before finding a way down. The trail was hard to follow and I ended up boulder hopping was pretty slow and I ran out of time and turned around before making it to the falls. By the time I was back on the steep trail out, the sun was blazing. It really sapped my energy on the way up and made the climb much harder than it needed to be. Next time I’ll plan on camping at the bottom with plenty of time to explore and recuperate before heading back up.

View Spencer's Recording
Sebastian Del Portillo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
Backpacking

fantastic trail. We made a weekend our of it and camped out 2 nights. Our packs definitely slowed us down but we enjoyed the views. hopefully you have conditioned cuz its a tough one.

Justin Charlebois
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
HikingRocky

I was a little worried driving out here from the valley because of some of the other comments about high clearance vehicles. There is a dirt road that's a little rough at times I took it slow in my GTI and made it just fine. You definitely need strong ankles for this one, the trails are not maintained very well and there are lots of loose rocks on the decent. Watch your footing. There is one part of the trail where you have to climb down a crevice. You're pretty much rock climbing for about 20 ft it's gravy after that.

View Justin's Recording
Brittany Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 12, 2020
View Brittany's Recording
E.L. Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 10, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

You need to be in good shape for this hike. It’s not for the novice hiker. Be prepared to get some scratches and bruises. There’s uneven terrain throughout the whole hike. You will fall on your ass more than once. Also be prepared to be sore for days. Watch out for poison ivy!