Indian Garden via Bright Angel Trail

Indian Garden via Bright Angel Trail is a 8.2 mile out and back trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options.

Hiked down to Indian Garden and back. Was 100 degrees at Indian Garden so decided not to do Plateau Point. Was first time hiking a canyon and loved it. The last mile out was the easiest of the entire hike. I hate hiking downhill and the sun was setting so the canyon was mostly in shade below the rim. Water was on. Packed 4 liters in and drank 6-7 total.

This was my 1st big hike of the year, I had been training for what I thought would be enough preparation for this big 9 mile hike. Hiking is nothing new to me, but these larger distance hikes are; although, I had been power walking and doing light jogging for 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week, for 2 months. It was tough the last 2.2 miles of the trail going back up to bright angel trail. My gps said i was keeping a pace on 1.5mph going down and then coming up I was 0.91 mph and then the last couple miles I dropped down to 0.75-0.80, of course I took more breaks going up.

So we began our hike at 6:30 in the morning, and arrived at Indian gardens at 10:30 that same morning, rested and had our lunch, then started our way back up around 11:22 p.m. and after much strenuous pushing, we arrived back to the top of bright angel trailhead and 8pm that evening. This was a challenge for me but I accomplished it, I am not to thrilled with my time but I know with more training I can cut that time down. Now I know to increase my jogging pace a little longer and maybe a little harder and start working out my legs. With that being said, it was a beautiful hike and despite my minor meltdowns, I would do this hike again. For me, there is something about working out with a hike, you make your way to the destination and you have to make your way back, and with treadmill workout or gym workouts, it is so easy and tempting to just stop and not continue.

Going down I drank about 107 oz of water, about 32 oz of that was vitamin water.
Going up 132oz of water.
I ate 1 bag of store bought jerky, one of the smaller bags, and packed myself 3 granola bars and had 2 cans of Vienna sausage, and finished a store bought trail mix, and 2 sneakers. (apologies for the lack of measurement information). keep in mind I ate hearty the night before and hydrated all week, I was averaging about a gallon a day for 5 days before my hike. This is definitely in the books for another hike. I hope my information was helpful.

I am 5' 1'', and 265 lbs. with about 2 months of jogging.

Total time was about 13.5 hrs, about 8 hrs of that was going back up from Indian Gardens to Bright angel trailhead.

It was a beautiful hike, with such vibrant scenery. Majority of the hikers were kind and had good hikers etiquette.

The trail is wide and well maintained with lots of switchbacks. The sun never penetrated the inner walls, which makes up about 75% of the hike (in January).

There are 2 rest houses, one at 1.5 mile and 3 mile marker.

The hike up is strenuous and very rewarding. I probably went through about 1.5 liters of water.

We hiked down in 2.25 hours
We hiked up in 3 hours

Beautiful views of the canyon on the way down and up

Approximate time:
~ 3 hours going down
~ 4.5 hours coming up

Word of advice:
What goes down must come back up. What looks easy going down ain't so easy when you have to climb 3000 feet up. You should have good fitness. Start your trip early in the day like 6-7 AM and you will be at Indian Garden around 10 AM. Hang out there, walk around and enjoy your lunch. If you start again around noon, you should be up by 4:30 PM. I do not recommend doing this in summer.

My experience:
If this doesn't take your breath away, what will? When you walk through the walls of the canyon carved over 6 million of years with rocks as old as 2 billion years old, you would find yourself humbled. You witness one of the most surreal landscapes in the world. We got to do this again later in 2017 and found it equally appealing. Such is the beauty of the Grand Canyon that you would always find a reason to go back again.

Recommendation:
- stay overnight at the village so you can begin your hike early
- hiking shoes
- comfortable clothes with a light jacket
- 2-3 liters of water
- some salty snacks, protein bars, fruits, electrolytes
- trekking poles (good for support)
- toe nails cut (this is important)
- last but not the least, a friend or two in your company

AWESOME!! Look out for the Mule deer at Indian Garden, you might trip over them at night.