Hutch's Pool is a 15.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, bird watching, and backpacking and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 15.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,879 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take Sabino Canyon Rd for the first 4 miles to the beginning of the trail. Follow this trail 2.5 miles to Sabino Basin and take the West Fork Trail 1.5 miles until you get to the turn-off for Hutch's Pool. This trail starts in the Sabino Canyon Recreation Area - which does not allow dogs.

Awesome trail, you are truly inside the canyon after you leave the main road! The tricky part is figuring out where the pool it! You have to cross the stream when you think you’ve arrived, there are rocks stacked in the the distance, keep going no more than half a mile and it’s to the right of you! Almost like a beach with a huge patch of sand! Be sure to bring plenty of water and snacks. I actually drank the stream water and had no problems! Best of luck!

Great hike. The Tram isn’t running right now so had to walk the road to get to the trail. There were only two creek crossings for us and easy enough to walk across the rocks so your feet don’t get wet. About 1.5 miles before you reach the pools there is a good stream to fill up water if needed. It took as about 3 hours and 50 mins to get there from our cars and 3 hours and 30 to get back. That was with breaks and stopping to fill and sanitize water. We also had our overnight camping packs ranging from 25-40lbs. The pools are beautiful and thankfully we were able to find a nice campsite by ourselves.

Sunday march 22nd, we walked the road, after crossing 8 bridges with so much water, we got to the end of it. time to climb up the switchbacks. When we got to the bottom, there was sooo much water and the current was too strong to cross. We stopped, had snacks, took some pictures and then headed back up. Don't know how much further to the hutch's pool, but our Apple watches said 7.01 miles to this stream. Very pleasant trail throughout. I posted a photo here.

Camped over night. Beautiful views. 9 and 12 yr olds handled it just fine.

Really great trail. Well maintained and always plenty of water to use or swim in!

as good as it gets. longer then expected. on the return trip be extra careful to take the right turn back to Sabino Canyon. bc at the junction is can be somewhat confusing as there are several pathways.

It was a long hike and just went I thought I got to the pool, you have to keep going.

flooded

PLEASE!!! Make sure your FIRE is COLD before leaving campsite. Found a fire pit with warm embers. Water is great, but if the wind picks up the embers can reignite underneath. Throw some dirt over it, but yeah wasnt too happy about that one...

Great hike! The third river crossing is tricky, look for cairns. Cairning is caring

Beautiful hike today up Phoneline and connecting to Sabino Canyon Trail, Only saw two others on way up, none on hike out. Used the Tram Road on return to parking area and Sabino Creek was flowing over six of the bridges, and very high volume over two of those six. Early morning start makes for completely shaded trail for first four miles on Phoneline, very helpful in summer months.

fee

Awesome trail. Hutch's Pool is totally worth it. Make sure to cross that last big stream to get to it! Also, on Sabino Canyon Road (paved) there were 3 water crossings. Bring large trash bags and put your legs in them for a quick crossing (and don't leave your bags!)

There are two ways to get to Hutch’s Pool, either from the trailhead at the last stop on the Sabino Canyon tram or from the Gordon Hirabayashi campground on the Catalina Highway. We’ve done it both ways but the longer route from the Catalina Highway is long for a day hike. We backpacked yesterday and stayed at a perfect campsite about a mile short of Hutch’s Pool but walked over after setting up camp after all the day hikers had gone. Beautiful hike.

I started at Bear Canyon Trailhead, maneuvered my way over to Phoneline Trail, and followed it to Sabino Canyon Trail and then to West Fork and finally to Hutch’s Pool. And then back, a total of 16.5 miles It’s early August and very hot but I went early and was at the pool by midday. There has been some rain this monsoon season, but not much really. Still, the pool had plenty of water in it, leading me to believe that there is probably at least some water there all year around. There was enough to swim even, so I waded in and it got deeper than I could stand eventually. The perfect desert oasis.

Tue Jan 29 2019

A nice, long hike with perfect weather conditions! I thought the trail was easy to follow, though the signs I saw don't actually say Hutch's Pool. I had looked at the map before going and had no trouble figuring out the route. The Phoneline portion is well maintained, but as expected the deeper backcountry you get the trail becomes more narrow and overgrown. I would only recommend doing this trail in the cooler months. If you try it when it is warmer, go early and bring sunscreen/hat/sunglasses (which you should really wear anytime of the year) and more water than you think you need. There is some shade from trees along the stream and at the destination, but the majority of the trail has no shade, especially at the peak of the day. In the morning much of the trail is shaded by the mountain side, which is the best time to go. Besides the first bridge on the road section, I only crossed the water twice and there were plenty of rocks to cross over. Overall and scenic day hike to a lovely destination.

Mon Dec 10 2018

would rate it but couldn't find the pools!!

Sun Jul 29 2018

Great hike!! Creek had lots of water going!! So good to see evidence(poo) of big horns in the Sabino canyon area!

Wed Apr 25 2018

My favorite Sabino Canyon hike❤️ upper hiking vistas into layers of canyons in Pusch Ridge Wilderness. Hike long or short time, it’s least crowded hike in Sabino.