Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail to the summit is well marked and maintained. The trail is challenging and requires strong arms to grip the cables on ascent and descent- gloves are highly recommended. Views from the trail and the summit are great! The nature is amazing - you have a great chance to spot the bald headed eagle and see blooming ocotillos. Dogs are not permitted beyond the saddle area, which is about halfway to the final destination (peak).

Being a novice type of hiker, Picacho Peak on the Hunter Trail was difficult but very satisfying when we completed it in 3.5 hours. Spent about 25 minutes on top taking pics and enjoying the view. The two of us also had around 3 or 4 small breaks while doing this trail to take more photos and catch our breathe. Well worth it and will do it again in the future.

This is really difficult. I couldn’t quite finish the last 15 minutes to the peak because of the height. I’m a lil afraid of heights so I turned around. I’ve never seen anything like this hike. Definitely need gloves for all the cables. Beautiful trail. Fairly populated on a Saturday

that was really fun! never a dull moment.

Maintain three points of contact and move deliberately...

Challenging but worth the views!

Nice place

Good hike with outstanding views. A few steep vertical ascents - cable in place to assist, and not hard finding footholds. Sharp drop offs at some points - not hard to navigate, but requires attentiveness. Fun!

Great challenge.

good exercise, try to hit in the am before it gets hot.

overall I'd give the challenge a 4-5 views and the adventure factor 8 was a fun trail. Check out the ostrich farm while down there.. who woulda thought that would be way out there.

Yikes, a lot more fun and challenging than we expected! This was difficult! The view, however was a lovely stretch of I-10... lots of awesome hiking for a less than stellar view

Hiked Picacho yesterday, the trail is really bad. It got washed out by the rain we had last weekend. I have done this trail before and it was nice last time. They have a lot of work ahead of them to fix the trail. Boulders and rocks have fallen in the trail. Some of the steps have broke. If you go be very careful and take your time. I really love this trail, I hope to do it again when it gets back to how it was.

Challenging and beautiful!!

I took this hike/climb today. That’s something I I’ve been saying I would do since we moved to Arizona almost five years ago. I am certainly glad I had gloves to grip the cables. It is challenging but well worth it to be able to say you’ve done it and for the fantastic views. I started at 5:45 a.m. Later starts will encounter some serious heat. Although the hike is short plan on three or four hours because of the climbing it’s no sprint, at least not for this 74 year old!

Pretty cool hike. Some steep areas. Took about 2hrs. 50min. to complete going up and back. Make sure u have good shoes and some light weight gloves for those with easy to bruise or cut hands because of lifting and pulling on cables.

As advertised, solid workout, especially with current temps. Hustled to keep it under 2 1/2 hrs, with a steady pace. Surprised a large bird of prey on the trail, 1/2 way up the backside ascent... redtail hawk? Definitely bring gloves or you'll wish you had. Must be off the trail by 7pm (misdemeanor violation), so evening hike isn't allowed. No place to take your pet...last time I checked, they can't navigate a cable system...

Month ago was great. Makes angles landing look like a joke.

This trail is so much fun! Dog and family friendly but only to the saddle, after that it gets too difficult in my opinion. The last section of the hike your are reliant on cables. Amazing 360 views from the top and really the entire hike. Enjoy!

Love Picacho! It’s close by and a great challenge! The views are spectacular and a must hike!

Be sure to take gloves for the top

It was a fun hike. We did Picacho Peak first then headed to Romero Pools. It was amazing. Picacho Peak would be best done during the week, weekends are too busy.

This is an exciting hike. If you are a good hiker and you would like a challenge - hit the Hunter trail and summit Picacho Peak. The trail to the summit is well marked and maintained (Good job Park rangers!). The trail is challenging and require strong arms to grip the cables on ascent and descent :-) as others already mentioned gloves are highly recommended. Views from the trail and the summit are great! The nature is amazing - you have a great chance to spot the bald headed eagle. Blooming ocotillos - wow! Don't hesitate, put this hike on your bucket list!

It's a short but challenging hike. Definitely bring gloves if you plan to make it to the peak. Thankfully the cables weren't too hot last week so we managed okay, but I can't imagine how hot those can get in the summertime.
It took us about 4 hours round trip.

Amazing view from the top! Definitely take at least 3l of water, work gloves to hold on to cables and start early! Great accomplishment for me I'm so glad I did it. We we got refreshed at DQ right after.

Picacho peak is a nice 2 hourish hike with a few spots that are vertically challenging. Cables are set up in several areas to assist as you traverse the trail. The Dairy Queen across the street is a well deserved treat afterwards

Extremely hard! Dogs cannot make it up this trail. There are vertical areas where you are basically rock climbing with wires along the rock- gloves are highly recommended. If you have any fear of heights, don’t do this trail.
HOWEVER the peak is amazing once you get there , absolutely beautiful views everywhere. Just know that this is for experienced hikers only.

Amazing. Comparable in difficulty to Flatiron, but shorter. A very proud day for me.

Just remember...you go up, you must come down! Not your ordinary trail! Pictures do not do the Peak Justice! You have to do it and see it to feel the beauty of it at the top! This is as close to heaven that I have been!

The park, facilities and trail are really well maintained. I was impressed with the condition of our route. the cables were secure and even though I was nervous at the technical footing required, I didn't feel like I was putting myself at risk. I'm so glad we hiked in spring. The green desert was overwhelming and flowers were popping up everywhere.
I am in decent physical shape and exercise regularly. I would not recommend this trail for someone who is not active. It's an amazing climb, but tough. I used my upper body more than I expected to. Also, wear good shoes, bring lots of water and snacks, and wear gloves! The cables and gripping rocks are no joke.

Great hike, a bit hard at times but manageable. Once at the top it is amazing, I would do this one again. I would definitely recommend to bring gloves and the right kind of shoes for hiking. I seen lots of people who were not prepared.

awesome hike