Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

A hard trail for sure but great hike with amazing views,, didn't need the gloves like I was told I was going to. Very busy trail. Most likely I will do it again!! I drove off and forgot to turn app off for a little bit! Oops!!

Our hiking tribe Summit Soul Sisters loved this trail to the peak! Definitely a challenge, but completely worth it! We had a group of 7 and all managed and had such a blast!

Summitsoulsisters.com

Fun, fun, fun trail !!!!!! Half hiking, half obstacle course. We had so much fun on this trail today. The ascent starts almost as soon as you step onto the trail head. Very well marked trail. A little longer than the 2.7 mile round trip we expected. The ranger said it was two miles up and 2 back. We moved at a reasonable clip and made the hike in a little under three hours. The same ranger said some of the armed services guys make it up and down in two. Only way I was making that in two would have been with the help of a hang glider. ;) There ARE bathrooms near the base of the trail head. Definitely not a dog friendly trail as you get closer to the top. Have fun! :)

Do not bring your dog!!

Lots of good scrambling. No technical climbing but close. Not easy but totally worth it.

fun take gloves

Great trail during the winter. Crowded and popular.

Picacho Peak. Was. Amazing. You can watch my experience here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6liYlq99PmE).

I've been wanting to do this hike since I moved to Tucson a year and a half ago. 2.7 miles. Rated difficult (and it was). But totally worth it. I hiked it in November during the afternoon. It was still pretty hot, so make sure to bring plenty of water (1-3 L). The hike is dog friendly, but only until the saddle. There are no public restrooms or places to fill up your water bottles. $7.00 fee to enter the park but they do accept Visa and Mastercard credit cards.

This hike was essentially an obstacle course for adults. But in nature. And cheaper than most. If you love adventure, you should definitely plan to hike this.

This is an awesome trail that offers lots of diversity. Hiked this today with three other people. I am the only one that brought and used them. I highly recommend them although the cables are smooth enough you can do fine without. Just makes gripping more comfortable. This is a hard trail with a few difficult spots, but so worth it. I saw ages 8-70 making it to the peak and back. Took us about 4.5 hours. I highly recommend this for anyone that enjoys a challenge, has good balance, and is not afraid of heights.

Beautiful hike!!!
Really rewarding.. did it today in and out in 3 hours with 1 ltr of water.
Would suggest that carry atleast 2 and people with weak heart and who are afraid of fall or height should not do this!

Tough climb, great views, bring gloves for climbing cables, wished trail is was longer.

A fun and challenging hike with a beautiful view on top! Definitely bring a pair of gloves if you have some. I ignored the other comments and did it without and it made certain parts of the hike far more difficult. It wasn’t blisters forming on my hands that was the problem. Rather it was gripping the metal cables with sweaty hands. The cables were worn smooth so I had close to no grip when I needed it most. I would highly recommend this trail!

Awesome experience! Challenging but so worth it!

Did this one on 9/17/17
Beautiful trail, hard but worth it !