Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

Very difficult and I wouldn’t recommend bringing your dog. There’s about 8 to 10 spots where you use cables to help you get up.

A hard trail for sure but great hike with amazing views,, didn't need the gloves like I was told I was going to. Very busy trail. Most likely I will do it again!! I drove off and forgot to turn app off for a little bit! Oops!!

Our hiking tribe Summit Soul Sisters loved this trail to the peak! Definitely a challenge, but completely worth it! We had a group of 7 and all managed and had such a blast!

Summitsoulsisters.com

Fun, fun, fun trail !!!!!! Half hiking, half obstacle course. We had so much fun on this trail today. The ascent starts almost as soon as you step onto the trail head. Very well marked trail. A little longer than the 2.7 mile round trip we expected. The ranger said it was two miles up and 2 back. We moved at a reasonable clip and made the hike in a little under three hours. The same ranger said some of the armed services guys make it up and down in two. Only way I was making that in two would have been with the help of a hang glider. ;) There ARE bathrooms near the base of the trail head. Definitely not a dog friendly trail as you get closer to the top. Have fun! :)

Do not bring your dog!!

Lots of good scrambling. No technical climbing but close. Not easy but totally worth it.

fun take gloves

Great trail during the winter. Crowded and popular.

Picacho Peak. Was. Amazing. You can watch my experience here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6liYlq99PmE).

I've been wanting to do this hike since I moved to Tucson a year and a half ago. 2.7 miles. Rated difficult (and it was). But totally worth it. I hiked it in November during the afternoon. It was still pretty hot, so make sure to bring plenty of water (1-3 L). The hike is dog friendly, but only until the saddle. There are no public restrooms or places to fill up your water bottles. $7.00 fee to enter the park but they do accept Visa and Mastercard credit cards.

This hike was essentially an obstacle course for adults. But in nature. And cheaper than most. If you love adventure, you should definitely plan to hike this.

This is an awesome trail that offers lots of diversity. Hiked this today with three other people. I am the only one that brought and used them. I highly recommend them although the cables are smooth enough you can do fine without. Just makes gripping more comfortable. This is a hard trail with a few difficult spots, but so worth it. I saw ages 8-70 making it to the peak and back. Took us about 4.5 hours. I highly recommend this for anyone that enjoys a challenge, has good balance, and is not afraid of heights.

Beautiful hike!!!
Really rewarding.. did it today in and out in 3 hours with 1 ltr of water.
Would suggest that carry atleast 2 and people with weak heart and who are afraid of fall or height should not do this!

Tough climb, great views, bring gloves for climbing cables, wished trail is was longer.

A fun and challenging hike with a beautiful view on top! Definitely bring a pair of gloves if you have some. I ignored the other comments and did it without and it made certain parts of the hike far more difficult. It wasn’t blisters forming on my hands that was the problem. Rather it was gripping the metal cables with sweaty hands. The cables were worn smooth so I had close to no grip when I needed it most. I would highly recommend this trail!

Awesome experience! Challenging but so worth it!

Did this one on 9/17/17
Beautiful trail, hard but worth it !

If you’re looking for a good leg burn, you’ve found it. Just south of Phoenix is this gem. The elevation gain is worth the view atop.

Fun desert hike, arrived around 10am with decent parking options. This time of yr. I recommend 1-2L of water. Lots of trail signs to keep you on track.

Such a fun hike! Make sure you are prepared with proper hiking shoes as some areas definitely need the traction of them . We did a sunset hike in October and were fine without gloves. I would definitely recommend them if it’s hot though. A few areas required a bit of flexibility to get up and down so be prepared for that!

The hike starts with a good immediate incline to the saddle, its a good warm up for the second half up to the top. FYI- after the saddle you go down quite a bit in order to around and up to the top. I was a bit confused because you seriously go down a ways. The trail is easily visible, which I love because I often hike solo. The gloves everyone talks about is a good idea, but its not 100% necessary. There are parts of the trail that's somewhat rock climbing. The views aren't spectacular but the journey is all worth it. Finally, its a state park, $7.00 at the door ;)

The Hunter Trail gets down to business right away. The trail is well marked with constant significant grade. When you reach the saddle, you will feel as though you are getting close. This isn't accurate. You give back a couple hundred feel on a steep downhill cable section, and this is where the climb starts. I really appreciated the views from the top. You can see forever.Take your time and you'll be just fine. 1:20 up 2:00 down via Sunset Trail.