Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

The trail is challenging but with great viewing rewards. The "canned" description with this ap says dogs may use trail. Dogs are not petmitted beyond the saddle area, which is apx. halfway to the final destination (peak).

I was not ready for this hike! The trail plays a mean trick on you: once you get to the saddle you have to go back down in elevation and come back up the other side. So in reality your total elevation gain is more than you might be mentally prepared for. Also, be prepared to use your upper body strength in order to climb up rocky passages. This is a difficult trail, but the views are worth the effort.

Great hike! Be prepared to do a little climbing!

Awesome! Tough and dangerous, but beautiful.

This was a very fun hike because it was different from what I'm used to. The up-and-down and the need for cables to climb certain portions made it very enjoyable. The payoff at the summit wasn't anything to write home about compared to something like Flatiron, but the climb and descent were what made this hike cool. Those with fear of heights and no grip or upper body strength might have problems with this hike. But we saw all types of people make it. Where there's a will there's a way!

Very funny trail. Sometimes you need to climb the steep cliffs with the help of cables.

My wife and I just hiked/climbed Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak.The views are amazing, the rating of difficult is valid. There are some sections on the back side that are more rock climb than hike. Also, the trail does get uncomfortably close to the edge in a couple of spots. If you're in good shape, go enjoy, but wear some good hiking boots.

First time and certainly not the last

Good workout. All the cables make the hike different. Bring gloves. You need them. A lot of hikers on trail.

Very fun hike. Measured it with the GPS at 3.3ish miles roundtrip. Started on a regular Sunday morning at about 7AM, took 2 hr 30 min at a very casual pace with several photo taking stops. There was virtually no one else on the trail on the way up; we passed just a handful of sporadic groups on the way down. It was shaded for the majority of our hike in the morning, so keep that in mind if you go in the A.M; can get chilly in that shade!

This is a very unique hike. You first hike up to the middle and then it takes you down to the back of the mountain and then you have to hike back up to the peak.

Be patient while coming down, I almost lost my way while hiking down and was at a dangerous point near to the high elevation edge, thanks to my gut instinct I sensed the trail can’t be this slippery and walked back.

Always identify the right trail first and then proceed. Do take your hand gloves you will need it at many places. This hike is for the advanced hikers and I can say the views from the summit are terrific.

Very hard but very enjoyable

This is now my new favorite hike. If your up for a challenge, this is the one. It’s very rocky and you need gloves to protect your hands as well as in the cables. Toughest thing I’ve ever done, but so worth it. The views are amazing!

This trail was fun and challenging. my biggest challenge with this trail was my fear of hights, there is allot of slippery gravel and lose rocks so be careful. I attempted going down the sadle but had to stop half way though and come back as I was not able to complete it by with my fear of hights.

Scary is one word but totally worth it. Hard is accurate.

amazing views

great workout

One of the most fun and challenging hikes I’ve ever done, know what you’re getting into so that you can be prepared. It’s a lot of work but so worth it and moments in the experience gave us an adrenaline rush or two. Incredible 360 degree views at the top, would be gorgeous at sunrise or sunset. I’m in favour of bringing gloves, LOTS of water, and a snack for the top/on the way. If you have bad knees, maybe stay clear, and I definitely would NOT bring a dog up there or little kids. It’s rugged so make sure you’re going in good shoes, we passed a lady going up in Ugg’s and we weren’t surprised when we didn’t see her again on the way down. We had a 12 year old and a 15 year old and they made it just fine!

Just hiked this today to the top for the first time. UNREAL.