Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1958 feet

The trail to the summit is well marked and maintained. The trail is challenging and requires strong arms to grip the cables on ascent and descent- gloves are highly recommended. Views from the trail and the summit are great! The nature is amazing - you have a great chance to spot the bald headed eagle and see blooming ocotillos. Dogs are not permitted beyond the saddle area, which is about halfway to the final destination (peak).

Challenging and beautiful!!

I took this hike/climb today. That’s something I I’ve been saying I would do since we moved to Arizona almost five years ago. I am certainly glad I had gloves to grip the cables. It is challenging but well worth it to be able to say you’ve done it and for the fantastic views. I started at 5:45 a.m. Later starts will encounter some serious heat. Although the hike is short plan on three or four hours because of the climbing it’s no sprint, at least not for this 74 year old!

Pretty cool hike. Some steep areas. Took about 2hrs. 50min. to complete going up and back. Make sure u have good shoes and some light weight gloves for those with easy to bruise or cut hands because of lifting and pulling on cables.

As advertised, solid workout, especially with current temps. Hustled to keep it under 2 1/2 hrs, with a steady pace. Surprised a large bird of prey on the trail, 1/2 way up the backside ascent... redtail hawk? Definitely bring gloves or you'll wish you had. Must be off the trail by 7pm (misdemeanor violation), so evening hike isn't allowed. No place to take your pet...last time I checked, they can't navigate a cable system...

Month ago was great. Makes angles landing look like a joke.

This trail is so much fun! Dog and family friendly but only to the saddle, after that it gets too difficult in my opinion. The last section of the hike your are reliant on cables. Amazing 360 views from the top and really the entire hike. Enjoy!

Love Picacho! It’s close by and a great challenge! The views are spectacular and a must hike!

Be sure to take gloves for the top

It was a fun hike. We did Picacho Peak first then headed to Romero Pools. It was amazing. Picacho Peak would be best done during the week, weekends are too busy.

This is an exciting hike. If you are a good hiker and you would like a challenge - hit the Hunter trail and summit Picacho Peak. The trail to the summit is well marked and maintained (Good job Park rangers!). The trail is challenging and require strong arms to grip the cables on ascent and descent :-) as others already mentioned gloves are highly recommended. Views from the trail and the summit are great! The nature is amazing - you have a great chance to spot the bald headed eagle. Blooming ocotillos - wow! Don't hesitate, put this hike on your bucket list!

It's a short but challenging hike. Definitely bring gloves if you plan to make it to the peak. Thankfully the cables weren't too hot last week so we managed okay, but I can't imagine how hot those can get in the summertime.
It took us about 4 hours round trip.

Nice trail. Well maintained. Please stop throwing orange peels and pistachios and sunflower seeds on the trail they last forever in the desert.....besides your mother raised you better!

Amazing view from the top! Definitely take at least 3l of water, work gloves to hold on to cables and start early! Great accomplishment for me I'm so glad I did it. We we got refreshed at DQ right after.

Picacho peak is a nice 2 hourish hike with a few spots that are vertically challenging. Cables are set up in several areas to assist as you traverse the trail. The Dairy Queen across the street is a well deserved treat afterwards

Extremely hard! Dogs cannot make it up this trail. There are vertical areas where you are basically rock climbing with wires along the rock- gloves are highly recommended. If you have any fear of heights, don’t do this trail.
HOWEVER the peak is amazing once you get there , absolutely beautiful views everywhere. Just know that this is for experienced hikers only.

Amazing. Comparable in difficulty to Flatiron, but shorter. A very proud day for me.

Just remember...you go up, you must come down! Not your ordinary trail! Pictures do not do the Peak Justice! You have to do it and see it to feel the beauty of it at the top! This is as close to heaven that I have been!

The park, facilities and trail are really well maintained. I was impressed with the condition of our route. the cables were secure and even though I was nervous at the technical footing required, I didn't feel like I was putting myself at risk. I'm so glad we hiked in spring. The green desert was overwhelming and flowers were popping up everywhere.
I am in decent physical shape and exercise regularly. I would not recommend this trail for someone who is not active. It's an amazing climb, but tough. I used my upper body more than I expected to. Also, wear good shoes, bring lots of water and snacks, and wear gloves! The cables and gripping rocks are no joke.

Great hike, a bit hard at times but manageable. Once at the top it is amazing, I would do this one again. I would definitely recommend to bring gloves and the right kind of shoes for hiking. I seen lots of people who were not prepared.

awesome hike

i Really like . this hike

Tough hike. Beautiful. 1500 ft elevation gain, may not seems like much but the way in which you climb up, then down, then back up will get cha

This is our second time up Hunter. We loved it so much last time, we came back to see if it was as good as we remembered - it was. :) The first time around, we took it nice and slow... 2.5 hours up, 1 hour down. This time, we wanted to see what we were capable of... we made the top in 1 hour and 4 minutes and down in 53 minutes. Needless to say we're not going to the gym today. :)

Seriously though, super fun hike.

Give it a shot!

Was a great hike, perfect weather!

The trail is challenging but with great viewing rewards. The "canned" description with this ap says dogs may use trail. Dogs are not petmitted beyond the saddle area, which is apx. halfway to the final destination (peak).

I was not ready for this hike! The trail plays a mean trick on you: once you get to the saddle you have to go back down in elevation and come back up the other side. So in reality your total elevation gain is more than you might be mentally prepared for. Also, be prepared to use your upper body strength in order to climb up rocky passages. This is a difficult trail, but the views are worth the effort.

Great hike! Be prepared to do a little climbing!

Awesome! Tough and dangerous, but beautiful.

This was a very fun hike because it was different from what I'm used to. The up-and-down and the need for cables to climb certain portions made it very enjoyable. The payoff at the summit wasn't anything to write home about compared to something like Flatiron, but the climb and descent were what made this hike cool. Those with fear of heights and no grip or upper body strength might have problems with this hike. But we saw all types of people make it. Where there's a will there's a way!

Very funny trail. Sometimes you need to climb the steep cliffs with the help of cables.

My wife and I just hiked/climbed Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak.The views are amazing, the rating of difficult is valid. There are some sections on the back side that are more rock climb than hike. Also, the trail does get uncomfortably close to the edge in a couple of spots. If you're in good shape, go enjoy, but wear some good hiking boots.