Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1991 feet

This is a very unique hike. You first hike up to the middle and then it takes you down to the back of the mountain and then you have to hike back up to the peak.

Be patient while coming down, I almost lost my way while hiking down and was at a dangerous point near to the high elevation edge, thanks to my gut instinct I sensed the trail can’t be this slippery and walked back.

Always identify the right trail first and then proceed. Do take your hand gloves you will need it at many places. This hike is for the advanced hikers and I can say the views from the summit are terrific.

Very hard but very enjoyable

This is now my new favorite hike. If your up for a challenge, this is the one. It’s very rocky and you need gloves to protect your hands as well as in the cables. Toughest thing I’ve ever done, but so worth it. The views are amazing!

This trail was fun and challenging. my biggest challenge with this trail was my fear of hights, there is allot of slippery gravel and lose rocks so be careful. I attempted going down the sadle but had to stop half way though and come back as I was not able to complete it by with my fear of hights.

Scary is one word but totally worth it. Hard is accurate.

amazing views

great workout

One of the most fun and challenging hikes I’ve ever done, know what you’re getting into so that you can be prepared. It’s a lot of work but so worth it and moments in the experience gave us an adrenaline rush or two. Incredible 360 degree views at the top, would be gorgeous at sunrise or sunset. I’m in favour of bringing gloves, LOTS of water, and a snack for the top/on the way. If you have bad knees, maybe stay clear, and I definitely would NOT bring a dog up there or little kids. It’s rugged so make sure you’re going in good shoes, we passed a lady going up in Ugg’s and we weren’t surprised when we didn’t see her again on the way down. We had a 12 year old and a 15 year old and they made it just fine!

Just hiked this today to the top for the first time. UNREAL.

Great sunrise view from the top.

Great for a quick run or hike up. Nice views from the top. Don't really need gloves as suggested. The trail and cables are well maintained.

Location is well kept. There was even a bathroom on Barrett loop before you start your adventure. Hike had various transitions of elevation. The man made rail and wire systems was placed at key locations for safety. Leather gloves is importing bring. All in all fun hike.

Very difficult and I wouldn’t recommend bringing your dog. There’s about 8 to 10 spots where you use cables to help you get up.

A hard trail for sure but great hike with amazing views,, didn't need the gloves like I was told I was going to. Very busy trail. Most likely I will do it again!! I drove off and forgot to turn app off for a little bit! Oops!!

Our hiking tribe Summit Soul Sisters loved this trail to the peak! Definitely a challenge, but completely worth it! We had a group of 7 and all managed and had such a blast!

Summitsoulsisters.com

Fun, fun, fun trail !!!!!! Half hiking, half obstacle course. We had so much fun on this trail today. The ascent starts almost as soon as you step onto the trail head. Very well marked trail. A little longer than the 2.7 mile round trip we expected. The ranger said it was two miles up and 2 back. We moved at a reasonable clip and made the hike in a little under three hours. The same ranger said some of the armed services guys make it up and down in two. Only way I was making that in two would have been with the help of a hang glider. ;) There ARE bathrooms near the base of the trail head. Definitely not a dog friendly trail as you get closer to the top. Have fun! :)

Do not bring your dog!!

Lots of good scrambling. No technical climbing but close. Not easy but totally worth it.

fun take gloves

Great trail during the winter. Crowded and popular.