Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,366 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Humphreys Peak is the highest point in Arizona at 12,633 feet and one of the most scenic viewpoints in the San Francisco Peaks. On clear days hikers can see the Grand Canyon from the summit. The alpine forest trail is located just north of Flagstaff. This is a strenuous rocky trail with over 3,000 feet elevation gain. Humphreys Trail is open year round but snow can make the hike difficult during the winter months. Since the snow cover and lack of signage can make navigation difficult, it is recommended that you use the app's recorder feature to avoid getting lost.

Hard is a good rating. It is challenging. This trail provides lots of great views and tons of diverse terrain. This trail is rocky and root covered. Great hike

Hail and thunder turned us around- not worth the lightning risk. Will try again on a better weather day

Trail seems longer, reinforcing elevation is real! Some challenging portions. Beautiful vistas on a relatively clear day with low winds.

Highest peak in Arizona

Climbed Aaloosaktukwi again on Friday. Evidence of recent precipitation, with attendant fragrances - absolutely wonderful. Almost no light-headed-ness at the top, thanks to the miracles of modern medicine. Clear weather on the trail despite a forest fire that obstructed views in certain directions from the peak. Enjoyed it so much the first time - decided to turn-around in the parking lot and climb a second time. The latter descent was in darkness (with headlamp) because the full-moon hadn't risen yet.

Challenging trail as I am not a very outdoorsy person. Altitude sickness wiped my partner out as he was used to sea level altitude so beware guys!

Hard trail but well worth.Amazing views from summit .

Beautiful hike, glad I got a 6am start-lots of people coming up as I was heading down. Steady summit through forest then you make it to the ridge and get some great views. As you follow the trail up to the summit after the ridge is where your false summits begin, stay steady, take breaks in areas with plenty of room for others to pass and enjoy the views. Your almost on a stair master the entire trek BUT you won’t regret it. The trek down is easier, obviously, but stay alert and watch your step on the tree roots. Hikers coming up have the right away as you come down which gives you some time to catch your breath, say hello to fellow hikers and stay hydrated. Have fun, be safe, be smart, pack snacks and plenty of water. 5hrs total for my moving time with about 40mins total of stops and breaks. You’ve got this!!

Excellent trail for a summer hike! I started @6am right as the sun had risen & temp was about 57F. I’m glad I brought a light sweater to keep me warm. Took me approx 3hrs to get to the peak! I have to admit...it felt like one of those never ending trails & actually started experiencing some fatigue & headaches as I gained elevation. Great hike overall!! Hiked it over Labor Day weekend & the views were so great :) the gain is gradual but once you hit the last stretch it definitely gets the sweat going!

Very nice hard trail. Started at 7:23am and it took me 6 hours 21 minutes and clocked at 10.45 miles. Brought my pup, lots of dogs on trail. everyone was friendly, even the dogs. lots off leash which is fine with me.

Did this hike 2 days ago and it was definitely a tough hike if you are from lower elevation and haven’t done a big hike in about a year like myself. Loved the different layers of the hike with the atmosphere constantly changing. Really nice to start an alpine hike below tree line and then make it above. Unfortunately I started having symptoms of altitude sickness once we were above 12,000 feet. Made it up the ridge line to the first false summit and then decided to chose safety over desire, so we turned back. However, even if you get just to the saddle or the first false summit you still get amazing views. We were able to see the beginning of the Grand Canyon from the first false summit - truly amazing. Going down on this hike is not one of those that is super quick where you can basically just “run” down the mountain because of how rocky and tree root heavy this trail is. So be prepared to have a tough hike down as well. Really worth it in the end though!

private property

Spectacular views from the top, but you will definitely work for it the last few miles to the summit. Every hiker we encountered was encouraging and friendly. Lots of dogs on the trail as well. I highly recommend this trail as it is easy to follow, but come prepared with plenty of water and layers.

Awesome hike, very trafficked tho, we did 7 hours because we stopped 2 times , one to eat at the saddle and one to take pics and eat more snacks :) my husband and I started the trail behind snowbowl, we got lost at the beginning because that trail is not marked and the weeds are tall but we made it with the app! Very recommended and we would do it again at an earlier time , today we started at 7:30 am

Great Hike!

Beautiful trail that will be a challenge for our-of-shape lowlanders. The views on the way up are worth it. Even in the summer the peak can be temperate or chilly due to wind chill, so pack a light jacket depending on the weather conditions.

Strenuous but beautiful. Did this hike in about 5 hours. Starts at the snow bowl parking lot and during the right time of year you’re walking through a bunch of beautiful wildflowers where the ski lanes usually are. Then you shoot in a thick coniferous forest for some time with some nice switchbacks once you hit the saddle. I heard you can kinda see the Grand Canyon on a clear day. Unfortunately I went during some local fires. But nonetheless it’s a great hike with wonderful plant life.

Certainly a strenuous trail but worth it for the views at the top. I went at the end of August and was on the trail for 6:30am. I would certainly recommend starting as early as you can if you want to reach the top and avoid the heat.

Hiked this trail for the first time yesterday and it was awesome! Round trip took me 8 hours with a 10 min rest at the saddle and a 40 min rest at the summit. My gps says 12 miles starting from the beginning of the trail at the parking lot. Weather was perfect!

great hike

Awesome trail!! Hiked with my boyfriend for the first time. We had a late start so we didn’t summit because of time. We plan to make a trip back and plan to start early in the am as most say it’s an 8-10 hour hike. Overall it was a great experience!

This one has been on our list for a while now, and my husband and I made it out this weekend with our dog (the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, 9/1). We started around 7 am. The trail is very heavily trafficked. Lots of rocks and tree roots mean you really need to watch your footing. The elevation gain is significant but is relatively easy to the saddle. It then becomes quite rocky from there to the summit, which is challenging given the sheer number of people completing this hike. It took us 2:23 to reach the summit. Be prepared for the false summits so you aren't discouraged. The weather was absolutely perfect for us, with great views of surrounding peaks and the Grand Canyon in the distance. We spent 50 minutes enjoying the summit then 2:43 to make it back down (lots of yielding to uphill hikers). Definitely recommended; just be sure to start early.

Fun and well maintained trail. If you’re fit, this isn’t hard. Started catching rain and hail at about 11,000ft which continued to summit where wind was whipping and temps dropped to about 40, recommend gloves, raincoat, and baselayer while monsoons are still on the horizon.

Beautiful hike. On trail @ 5:45 AM. Off trail 11:20 AM. Slightly crowded coming down. Lots of dogs on trail

Did this hike on the Saturday before Labor Day. We started at 10, were at the peak by 12:30 and back to the car by 2:30, the weather was perfect (I put my windbreaker on from the peak down to the saddle because it was slightly chilly). There was plenty of parking and the trail wasn't too busy. The hike from the trailhead to the saddle is shaded and not too bad, strenuous but not too tough. From the saddle the up past the 2-3 false peaks it gets tough, I don't know if it was elevation (we live at sea-level) or just the general steepness and continual pulling yourself up and over big rocks but we were really moving slow the last mile to the peak. Between two people we drank 6L of water (brought 7L) and consumed about 600 calories each.