Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive north on US 180 for 7 miles to FR 516, the Snow Bowl Road. Drive 7.4 miles on this paved road to the lower parking lot of the Snow Bowl facility. The trailhead is located at the north end of the parking lot.

This is a good hike. The trail is a bit washed out and there are lots of exposed roots and rocks. It’s not terribly steep (I think Elden is harder). At the saddle, the wind really picks up. Make sure you dress appropriately. The summit gives you tons of great views. It was about 10 degrees at the top with about 35-40 mph winds. It was intense. But there is something to be said about being on top of Arizona. There were a ton of people (like in 100’s, not exaggerating) on the way down which is frustrating. Lots of dogs off leash (which is frustrating given the leash law and posted signs). Overall, a good spot and I really enjoyed it.

Only 3 stars because I'm not sure I'd do it again. It's beautiful, challenging, and the hard rating is not to be taken lightly. Hadn't hiked at this high elevation but it does get to you, neither I nor my bf got "sick", my dog did very well for his first time. We brought more water than we needed, and we needed it all. Bring food, and definitely bring a beer for the top, got a little shaky and the beer restored the lost glycogen so fast. It was insanely windy at the top today, it was hard to breath, whipped you to the bone and pushed us over. It's been all summer since we hiked anywhere, and my lower extremities are swollen and in so much pain. But looking back from the bottom at what we just did blew my mind, such a great experience! Bring more thank you think you need, prepare for perfect weather and super cold.

Humphreys was definitely one of the toughest hikes I've done but was worth every second

The best hardest and rewarding hike I have down thus far. This hike was a last minute decision with two my dear friends. Three weeks prior to the hike I got very sick to the point where my Dr stated "no more vigorous activities." Aa soon as I felt normal, off I went to accomplish my goal to make it to the Peak.

This was my second attempt. First time the weather allowed only to the saddle; this time the weather was perfect. No clouds all sunshine...

Take plenty of water and food/snacks to make this hike. Good luck!!!

Loved this trail! Such a challenging and rewarding hike.

This was my second attempt. I came first in November, but there was a lot of snow already. This time there was still some snow on trail and I got lost, but you could always just follow boulder field and you get to the trail eventually. The views are stunning, but the altitude is high and will require extra effort. Fantastic hike!

Very hard hike. Take lots of breaks if you're not a seasoned hiker. It may take you a while to get up but once you're at the summit, it is definitely worth the pain getting there. The last part of the hike, I thought, was the hardest, so pace yourself from the start. Bring lots of water and snacks because you will need energy. Once you're above the tree line, it tends to get a bit colder so plan what you'll be wearing accordingly. I went in August and it was very cold at the top to the point that I need gloves because my fingers were freezing. Lots of wind too.

Great hike. Trail was a little busy later in the morning. Made it to the top at a quick pace just under 2 hours and 20 min. The really noticed the elevation the last mile.

Awesome personal challenge accomplished. I can't stress enough that if you want to test yourself and consider yourself a hiker, this is a good test. Not only do you feel that elevation, you will have a couple false summits before getting to the top.

Loose rock near the top. Beautiful scenery all the way. Step inclines last 1.6 miles to the summit. Going down will take you just as long.