Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive north on US 180 for 7 miles to FR 516, the Snow Bowl Road. Drive 7.4 miles on this paved road to the lower parking lot of the Snow Bowl facility. The trailhead is located at the north end of the parking lot.

WOW!!!!! Awesome that we have mountains like this to hike be ready to take amazing pictures and incredible work out with almost 3500 on elevation gain because the peak is at almost 13000 little hard to breath. Have fun lets hike AZ

Starts off in a beautiful meadow and finishes with ~1.5 miles along the ridge line (sweeping views on either side!) Challenging trek but the trail crew obviously did a great job--numerous check steps and switch backs made the ascent much more manageable!

Very rewarding hike!! Difficult, but about as difficult as I expected. Took us 8 hours to complete; 5 up with leisurely breaks, 3 down with no breaks. We left at 11:45 pm and were prepared to hike the last half hour or so in the dark. I went through my entire Camelback (2 litters) on the way up and could have drank more, had a Nalgene for the way down. My GPS read 5.5 miles from the sign at the start of the trail to the top. GPS read the same 5.5 on the way back. The US Forest Service sign says 4.8 miles. Saw many people with dogs, I am not sure I would ever take my extremely fit Labradors to the top. I would worry about carrying enough water, the rocks are sharp at the top, and the dogs getting altitude sickness. I wouldn't be able to carry them off the mountain if they did get sick. We went on July 4th, someone earlier in the day placed an American Flag at the top; it made for fantastic pictures and a great sense of gratitude about our freedom.

Difficult trail but absolutely stunning. Amazing to walk above the treeline. Very windy at the top and it is advised to bring layers and stay as dry as possible.

This hike was more difficult than expected!! We started hiking at 9:30 am and after continuous hiking uphill (with short breaks every 45 minutes or so) we finally reached the summit at around 1:30 pm. We then reached the bottom at around 4:30pm. All that to say- plan for about 4 hours up and 4 hours down. Bring the suggested 3 liters of water or more, we drank all of ours almost exactly at the bottom. However challenging this hike was the view from the summit and the victory of reaching the peak is totally worth the hike. The saddle and false peaks can be a little soul crushing and we saw a few hikers give up but press on to the end and you'll be well rewarded!! Intense hike but a good one. Fun being on top of Arizona too