Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Humphreys Peak is the highest point in Arizona at 12,633 feet and one of the most scenic viewpoints in the San Francisco Peaks. On clear days hikers can see the Grand Canyon from the summit. The alpine forest trail is located just north of Flagstaff. This is a strenuous rocky trail with over 3,000 feet elevation gain. Humphreys Trail is open year round but snow can make the hike difficult during the winter months.

Incredible hike, nice to get a break from the desert! Air temperature definitely lower at the top and it is windy, but so worth it. I got a touch of lighted headedness with the elevation change but this was also the tallest peak I've done.

Amazing! First time hiking it. We made it up and back in 7.5 hours, after stopping at the top to eat lunch and take a ton of pictures. There were a few times I️ was ready to give up but so happy I️ did it!

Always love to hike Humphreys a couple times a year.

I did this on Tuesday. Very windy and cold (bring layers and gloves). It took me 5.5 hours and I started early. It was beautiful up there!

Made it to the peak, was cold and very windy but durable. Make sure to layer and bring xtra snacks and water for the trip.

Didn't make it to the peak, it was too cold! Will come back in the summer.

Highly recommend if you’re up for a challenge ! Start early ! 4 litters of water was perfect . Past the saddle is the hardest part ! I left some of my water weight at the saddle and SO glad I did ! Past the saddle is when you really start to have shortness in your breathing, Took me 7.5 hours total (30 minutes of that was lunch at the top) .

Lived up to the hype. I agree with the 4 ltr water recommendation. Ended up using about 3.5 today.

Definitely worth the challenge, but so many people can't handle the altitude change and get elevation sickness.... I always take extra food and water and helped at least 3 people that got sick on the way up, a few turned around.

Great trail for high altitude trail running and training!

Awesome views at the top,totally worth the long hike! i got lucky and caught a beautiful day,but make sure to check the weather before you go..and do take the suggested 4 lts of water per person,you would need all of it!

Fun fun fun!
Tough hike mostly due to elevation. Take lot of water and snacks :)

Fun fun fun!
Tough hike mostly due to elevation. Take lot of water and snacks :)