Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Humphreys Peak is the highest point in Arizona at 12,633 feet and one of the most scenic viewpoints in the San Francisco Peaks. On clear days hikers can see the Grand Canyon from the summit. The alpine forest trail is located just north of Flagstaff. This is a strenuous rocky trail with over 3,000 feet elevation gain. Humphreys Trail is open year round but snow can make the hike difficult during the winter months.

This was a beautiful hike. Did it in late October 2017, the weekend before the first snowfall happened. Also was a very calm (not windy) day luckily. Stunning. Gorgeous views from the top. Plus crossed it off my “highest state peaks” list. Gets rough at the top because of altitude and it’s rocky. 3 false summits, but it’s worth it. Took about 6 to 6.5 hours total. Didn’t stay at the top long because we started late in the day and were trying to get out before the sun set. Will do again.

Humphrey's crushed my soul, but was so rewarding at the end of it. I'm not the most experienced, nor am I adapted to altitude - so this required taking it pretty slow. Went with a group of friends, 2 have gone many times before and live in Flagstaff so they were on a pace much quicker than the other 3 of us. I think we got up and down in 8 hours, including a break at the saddle and lunch/pictures at the summit. Overall, amazing hike with generally great weather!

Been up 2 or 3 times, not to be under estimated. Real risk of altitude sickness. Start early, and you’ll be rewarded.

Strenuous hike! We took about six hours, going about as fast as we could. My girlfriend and I are from MN and just got into Flagstaff yesterday; not a lot of acclimation time for the altitude! We are very experienced in the wilderness and had no problem route-finding. Take plenty food and water, and this time of year (January) ample insulation: it's windy AF at the top!

one of my favorite hikes in Arizona. it's a must

Took about 6.2 hours. Beautiful hike, not too steep till the end. The wind at the top was insane...
Saw a deer.

Hiking

This is a little over 10 miles out-and-back from Snowbowl. Careful with the altitude.

Began the hike at 8:15AM. It took us about 3 hr 20 min to go up and about 2 hr to get down. The first three miles were pretty easy terrain-wise, but miles 4-5 were much rockier, steeper. Towards the top, the trail will be marked by sticks placed vertically in the ground. Wind up top was minimal, temperature was great. I wore shorts, a t-shirt, and a light sweatshirt (which I ditched on the way down) and I was just fine. Snow cover was nearly nonexistent. Sign the little book in the ammo can at the top! Could also see the Grand Canyon from the summit out in the distance. Meow.

Amazing hike!

Took 2.5 hours to summit and 2.25 hours to return. AMAZING weather; zero wind, full sunshine, 68 degrees on November 24, 2017.

Do it!!

Incredible hike, nice to get a break from the desert! Air temperature definitely lower at the top and it is windy, but so worth it. I got a touch of lighted headedness with the elevation change but this was also the tallest peak I've done.

Amazing! First time hiking it. We made it up and back in 7.5 hours, after stopping at the top to eat lunch and take a ton of pictures. There were a few times I️ was ready to give up but so happy I️ did it!

Always love to hike Humphreys a couple times a year.

I did this on Tuesday. Very windy and cold (bring layers and gloves). It took me 5.5 hours and I started early. It was beautiful up there!

Made it to the peak, was cold and very windy but durable. Make sure to layer and bring xtra snacks and water for the trip.

Didn't make it to the peak, it was too cold! Will come back in the summer.

Highly recommend if you’re up for a challenge ! Start early ! 4 litters of water was perfect . Past the saddle is the hardest part ! I left some of my water weight at the saddle and SO glad I did ! Past the saddle is when you really start to have shortness in your breathing, Took me 7.5 hours total (30 minutes of that was lunch at the top) .

Lived up to the hype. I agree with the 4 ltr water recommendation. Ended up using about 3.5 today.

Definitely worth the challenge, but so many people can't handle the altitude change and get elevation sickness.... I always take extra food and water and helped at least 3 people that got sick on the way up, a few turned around.

Great trail for high altitude trail running and training!

Awesome views at the top,totally worth the long hike! i got lucky and caught a beautiful day,but make sure to check the weather before you go..and do take the suggested 4 lts of water per person,you would need all of it!