Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive north on US 180 for 7 miles to FR 516, the Snow Bowl Road. Drive 7.4 miles on this paved road to the lower parking lot of the Snow Bowl facility. The trailhead is located at the north end of the parking lot.

great hike to highpoint. gets windy at top and involves some scrambling at the end. definitely a summer hike

1st trip up Humphreys. Day trip from Phoenix where I'm on spring break with the family. Left at 4a and started the hike at 6:30a. Saw two other people leve about the same time I did and that was all I saw on the summit route. Forecast was clear in morning with winds and some precipitation in the afternoon, but we got plenty of both in the morning. Wind above the tree line was 30-50mph - I was crawling at the summit to avoid being blown away, and the wind chill was for sure below zero. Felt like being back home in MInnesota (and yes I was thinking "why am I doing this on spring break??). Thankfully it wasn't nearly as windy down lower, but a fresh two feet of snow last week made for deep powder in the tree line. I debated packing the snowshoes but was very glad I did, both going up and down. The two other people I saw didn't have them and I saw all kinds of postholing remnants they had left on my way down, and it was only going to get worse with the snow warming up mid morning. I also used crampons above the tree line at it was rock/ice mix up to the summit. I packed the ice axe but didn't use it, instead sticking with hiking poles both ways. Only layer I brought and didn't use was the hard shells. Used about 3 liters of water and 3 cliff shot blocks. I started feeling the altitude effects quite a bit on the way down - not unexpected given I live in MN and had gone from Phoenix (1K) to 12,600 in about 5 hours. Overall fun trip. Didn't get the beautiful view at the top, but the mix of snow/weather conditions combined with altitude made for a challenging hike. Definitely a worthy peak to go after in winter conditions.

Did this hike on my 50th birthday. The switchbacks to the saddle are nice and long and not real steep. Once above tree line though, the trail was a little hard to find in a few places, and you do get fooled by thinking you're at the top and yet another peak is beyond and higher. We had a beautiful day and there was next to no wind on top. Definitely worth doing.

I hiked it back in October. Great hike, pretty easy going and steady paced until you start towards the false peaks. Those are disappointing but reaching the peak is awesome. I barely drank over a liter of water over the entire hike.
Highly recommended!

This hike was easier than anticipated. I do recommend going at own pace not at others.

We trekked up in early October after staying the night in downtown Flagstaff to adjust to the elevation. This was the highest peak I've climbed but not the most difficult. Unlike a lot of Oregon mountains, there was no scrambling up scree. The trail was clear and solid. I would suggest this hike for someone who is in shape and used to hiking and looking to start climbing higher and more challenging peaks. We made sure to schedule the hike for a clear, low-wind day, and the weather was perfect.
The hike started around 7 a.m. It was quite chilly at first, so I suggest layering, gloves and a mid-weight coat. It will quickly warm up, and I ended up doing most of the hiking in a lightweight base layer and leggings. The fall colors were beautiful and there were several viewing spots along the way.
We could even spot the Grand Canyon at the summit! The false summits are a little soul-crushing but keep pushing--- it's worth it. The trail begins in a field and transitions into the forest. The evergreen trees give way to birch trees and shrubs. The last stretch is rocky and exposed.
Bring plenty of water-- we brought 5 liters for two people and ran out in the last hour. Snacks and energy bars are a must. I kept a bag of BBQ potato chips in the car that I was practically sprinting to at the end of the hike. Trekking poles made the scrambling near the summit much more manageable. Hiking shoes probably would've been the best option, but my Pure Grit Brooks trail running shoes were fine. Start this hike early! It takes awhile. We were done by 4 p.m. and passed many people that I feared would be finishing the hike in the dark.

Hike was great, from parking lot it is about 11 miles their and back. Winds weren't to bad, if you thought they were bad you should hike Boundary peak mid December.... that's intense.

This trail will beat you up! I hike La Luz in Abq several times per year and this jagged rocky trail is similar but tougher thanks to the volcanic geology of Humphreys. The saddle is only 2/3rds to the summit, but at that point you're committed to several false peaks before bagging the top of Arizona. Don't make the Arizonans upset by hiking off trail into their only chunk of tundra.

The hardest hike I have done 'yet' I left at about 11am and didn't return back until 6pm. I got down right before the sunset. I packed light, I brought a DSLR camera 3 snacks and a water. Once I got to the top it was such an amazing view of the highest point in Arizona. You can see the grand canyon and much more. The time I went the winds were super intense I would say it was 50-70mph winds that I was being pushed by the winds, so I didn't stay on the top long. And there is a few false summits so don't stop until you see the sign. A few notes: Plan a weekend to get used to the climate because the elevation can kick your butt. Bring plenty of food and water. Bring a wind breaker for the top. Bring a camera/phone for memories. And eat a big meal before and after. And get an early start.

Incredible!

Great time! Defiantly harder then expected with the elevation... especially when your from San Diego! There seams to be another loop that goes to the other side to locket meadows... maybe next time!

So worth it, making it to the top. I finally made it on my third try. I started late on the other one and was too late to make it to the top. So, I had to come down, and thank God for one guy who actually came down with me. By the time we got back to our car, it was dark. Must hike this mountain!