Humphrey's Peak is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Humphreys Peak is the highest point in Arizona at 12,633 feet and one of the most scenic viewpoints in the San Francisco Peaks. On clear days hikers can see the Grand Canyon from the summit. The alpine forest trail is located just north of Flagstaff. This is a strenuous rocky trail with over 3,000 feet elevation gain. Humphreys Trail is open year round but snow can make the hike difficult during the winter months.

Very challenging hike but the view at the top is worth it.

hey Sean, you didn't mess up on the recording, that's where u slid down the peak after that ice ledge gave out.. 1 mile airtime lol

Easy day. The saddle was the worse part.

Ps. You’ll need micro spikes in the winter months if you don’t want to fall.

Hiked on 11/11/18. Microspikes are a necessity. Not an overly difficult trail, but there were substantial sections of packed snow/ice before and after the saddle. Ran into a few college kids in cotton hoodies at about 10,500' who had already taken quite the tumble down the hillside and were turning back. Wind was ~45mph at the summit (forecast) and cold - maybe 15°F or less. I managed to keep my hydration pack line from freezing until about the saddle with frequent sips, but after the saddle it promptly froze. I brought a bottle as well; you should too.

I flew in from an elevation of 900' the day before, and spent the night in Flagstaff. After 11,000', my pace slowed drastically as I huffed and puffed for air. Expect to slow down a lot if you're not used to the elevation. There are a few false peaks, so don't get your hopes up. The views at the summit are definitely worth it. Very glad I went. Started at 9am, reached the summit at 2pm, and finished about 20 minutes before sunset at 5:30 pm.

Walking in the clouds was unforgettable!

On 11/17/2018 (7am) l hiked to the summit. For being mid-november, it was an awesome weather day! There was very little to no wind at the Summit plus it was t-shirt weather. My guess it was a weather fluke (the mountain weather report had predicted strong winds and 8 degree windchill factor at The Summit)

My advice is to bring crampons, they will be needed! If not, wear ice hockey protection and tie a pillow to your butt haha! but seriously, the ice in the last couple miles is treacherous and the last mile has a lot of snow, ice, Scree and Talus. Yaktraxs are okay but I recommend Kahtoola Microspikes. They gave me excellent traction on the ice and also on the occasional rocky, dirt with roots - spots. They cost $52+tax at REI and were worth it! Especially going downhill, where most butthurt occurs haha.

It’s an amazing hike. I could have hiked this in five hours flat easy !!!! Unfortunately ran into a bunch of ice pass the tree-line which slowed me up considerably. Bring crampons if you decide to hike this in the winter. I busted my ass a dozen times lol. Bring ample amount of water at least 2.5 liters.
~Things you need ~

1. A backpack

Awesome hike with killer views! I hiked it this past weekend as part of my training plan for Mt. Aconcagua in January. I climbed it with ease with 40lbs pack weight and my altitude training mask setting at 12,000ft. My moving time was just over 4hrs. Will easily shave off 30min with knowledge of the route and better planning.

The trail is not difficult at all. The reviews make it sound much more difficult than it really is, which is probably due to the distance and wind people experienced.

Has a good mix of climbing- that is, forest trails, rock trail, and tundra.

This is not a technical trail. It’s a trek needing only minimal equipment.

Do bring:

1. Micro spikes (at minimum) crampons do nicely. -Throw the yak tracks in the trash.
2. Trekking poles
3. Be ready for heavy wind
4. Helmet is a nice touch if you’re climbing solo
5. Warmer gloves than you expect

I highly suggest climbers unfamiliar with layering to seek advice before attempting. The temperature swing from the saddle to the summit is substantial. During my hike there were 45kt (52mph) winds. I saw a few groups of people who were inappropriately dressed and definitely put themselves at risk for frostbite.

All in all, a great mountain to hike and train on. Will do again soon!

This trail has it all. Views, elevation, good coverage, rocks, snow & ice. Bring poles and micro spikes. It’s gets very icy and technical after the trail splits at the saddle (11,4000) prior to final ascent to Humphrey’s peak. Not safe without proper gear. Beautiful 360 degree views from the top. Gorgeous sunsets from AZ Snowbowl parking lot of you time it right.

Hiked on 11/3 still lots of snow and ice but it’s pretty well packed, micro spikes are a must. I’m in pretty good shape and hike constantly, the elevation will kick your butt here, be prepared to go slower than you ever thought you’d need to, especially in the last mile. Last mile is very steep, the wind is serious and brings the chill well below freezing any time of day. Hike is worth every step, views from the top are to die for, Grand Canyon and Sedona can both be seen and it’s a 360 degree view of the world around you.

Amazing views but as of 11/2/18 there was too much snow to get to the peak without crampons or microspikes. We were were able to get to the 2nd false peak with just trekking poles and our regular hiking boots but as the temp dropped the snow began to turn too icy for us to continue. If you are going to try to make it to the top without proper equipment (which i do NOT recommend) then make sure you go within the next few days on a WARM day and get to the saddle by noon so that way the snow on the exposed portions of the trail on your way to the peak will be slushy enough for you to really dig in and make it to the top and back before the temp drops at 3/4pm and freezes over making it too dangerous to traverse.

10/26/18 I completed this hike left trail head about 7:30 am and hit the summit around 12:00 pm what a hike their was a lot of snow thankfully I was properly equipped the most rewarding hike I’ve done to date if you can only get to the saddle you would still love the view

I had to dig deep in the mind to finish this one I’m not sure if I want to ever go back this close to November but I will try it in summer

Considerable amount of snow up here on 10/19. Bring poles or an ice ax and wear boots with crampons/microspikes. Post-holed quite a bit near the summit so snowshoes should also be a consideration depending on weather conditions. High winds on the ridge the last mile or so. Hike was 10 miles roundtrip and the views were incredible. I could see both the Grand Canyon and Sedona from the summit. Also, AMS is real. If you’re coming from low elevation spend at least a night in Flagstaff to acclimate. You’ll feel better the day of your hike if you do.

Couldn't make it to summit due to snow and wind but will return soon. One of the best games that I ever had.

icey bring crampons a d poles

First time hiking Humphreys and did it on 10/20 and the trail was covered in snow and thigh deep past the saddle. It took 4 hours to get to the top and 3 to get back down. Definitely bring layers, a face mask for the wind, and lots of snacks. The winds were around 30 mph at the top. This hike is really satisfying to complete and you will feel accomplished afterwords! My fit bit said it was 14 miles. It was a long hike either way be prepared. I would do this again but maybe once the snow melts.

As good as it gets. Well worth the effort to the top. Strava clocked it at about 10.5 miles. Trail is well marked...it was covered in snow yesterday. Lots of it. Definitely wear sunblock. Drank about 2L of water. Bring salty snacks. Dress in layers... you'll go from cold to hot the entire hike. This hike won't disappoint...I'll be back again soon.

Pretty epic climb! My friend and I summited two weeks ago. It took a lot of physical strength and endurance, took us about 6 hours to the top and then another 5 back down at a very leisurely pace. We saw lots of people along the way, no wild life to speak of, amazing views thou once we got out of the forest and up to the saddle. Felt a little light headed at the top from high altitude but it wasn’t bad. Bring a lot of snacks, layers and wear excellent ankle support- the trail especially after saddle is very rocky. My iphone health app said we did 14 miles, climbed 200 stories and did 30,000 steps, holy moly!

• the trail is completely covered with snow (on 10/10). I started the hike at 9am and most of the snow was icy and slippery. When I made it to the ridge, it was difficult to locate the trail (had to watch for trail marker poles). On the way back, from 1 to 2pm, the snow was slushy as it began quickly melting
• the wind at the ridge was no joke, especially the last few hundred feet, forecast says it picked up to around 30mph.
• I completed the hike in around 5hrs, but this one is not a joke and involves stamina and knowing your body limits.

My significant other and I don't hike. We also come from a city with an elevation of 350 feet. This was brutal. Gorgeous. But brutal. Started about 0820 and got back at 1610. You're going to see a scenic chair lift in the distance and hear the joy of those riding it. You will have several false summits. You must not cry, save that salt and water. People coming down the mountain will pass you with pure joy on their faces because they can finally breathe. Snacks, water (we had 2 liters and it was plenty), layers, good shoes, and change of socks isn't a bad idea. Just keep pushing. It's doable. Don't let it get you down if you have to stop every 30 feet towards the summits. You'll find new friends doing the same. Go early, don't do it on a cloudy day (it's a great view) treat yourself afterwards.

Great hike! Don't let those false peaks deter you, you'll know once you've made it to the summit. Like many have said, it's well worth the views! Not a novice hikers, still a beginner and I did it with my pack (which might have been overkill - weight-wise). I took my sweet time to avoid injury, brought poles, plenty of water, salty snacks... and took plenty of quick stops along the way. I'm used to cooler (30-40deg f) temps and didn't need all the layers. Instead of a 40l pack, I'd bring a smaller day pack or camel back.

Awesome hike! Incredible views and a leg and lung burner!

A hard, strenuous hike that is definitely worth it. Data on this trail says it’s 4.8 miles one way, but like others on here said, it seems longer. My fitness tracker clocked the entire up and down as 11 miles plus. You must be prepared for this strenuous hike with at least 3 liters of water and plenty of snacks. From the trail head through the forest, up to the saddle is moderate to difficult due to elevation gain, and uneven terrain. From the saddle, over 4 false summits and up to the peak is difficult and strenuous due to even more increased elevation, giant step ups and cold temperatures plus high winds. ( Our group hiked it the last week of September to avoid Summer monsoon storms) Least to say, for the average person, this is not a casual hike. That said, it is well worth the effort and the end payoff is the view and the sense of accomplishment you summited the highest point in Arizona and traversed one of the hardest trails in the state. Go prepared with layered clothing, ( you will put on, then take off, then put on layers again) plenty of water, food, good, sturdy hiking shoes and trekking poles. The right equipment will definitely help you tackle this monster trail and summit.

Scenic
Challenging
Fun
Windy
Cold
Uphill
Take snacks, layer up, hiking sticks were helpful.

It was a wonderful but very challenging hike. I would estimate it's closer to 10-11miles long. The elevation can easily tire you out, and you're exposed to a lot of freezing wind and burnimg sun so be prepared. Sunscreen is 100% needed. Start as early as you can! I did 7am and I wish I went earlier. DRESS IN LAYERS! Started at 35° and by the end I was sweating. I thought I packed enough water but I ran out on my way down. Basically do not take this hike lightly, it is a challenge, but it is very worth it. The view was incredible!

Great out and back. Took a little longer than expected from the saddle to the peak but it was still a good hike with my wife. Make sure you bring plenty of water, snacks and sunscreen. Ran into a few people that were out of water by the time they reached the saddle going up, not too smart on their part. Great views once you get above the tree line.

Coming from 620’ above sea level, this was a real challenge. Glad we had 1 day in Flagstaff before making the trek. Had to make lots of stops along the way, in total took approx 7hr 4min (including stops). Well worth the hike, beautifully breathtaking. Would do again in a heartbeat!

Hard but definitely doable hike if you pace yourself. Lots of friendly people on the trail. The first time we went in June, it was super windy at the top. The most wind I have ever experienced. But last weekend in September, the weather couldn’t have been more perfect. September is the month to go. Beautiful views even though there was a fire near Sedona that clouded up our views for a bit.

I did this trail, and summited for the 8th or 9th time, a few days ago. Perfect weather day. Trail is in decent shape. Wet roots and rocks at about miles 1.25 to 3.00 make for slick conditions. Strong winds and extreme cold past the saddle; at least the winds kept the black flies away. Warm clothing including neck, head and hand gear will improve your comfort level. Too many dogs off leash for my liking!

This hike can be as hard as you make it. I’m not in the best hiking shape but I made it to the top. I hiked at a pace that I didn’t get too winded or burn my legs out, in other words very slowly. 5 hours up, 3 hours down. Lots of roots, rocks and people on the trail but everyone was friendly. Enjoy the highest peak in Arizona.