Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Humphrey's Peak [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1617)
Kachina Peaks Wilderness

Humphrey's Peak is a 10.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and ice climbing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,353 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Note: As of April 2020, Snow Bowl Road off Highway 180, north of Flagstaff, is closed 1 mile in from Highway 180. Humphreys Peak is the highest point in Arizona at 12,633 feet and one of the most scenic viewpoints in the San Francisco Peaks. On clear days hikers can see the Grand Canyon from the summit. The alpine forest trail is located just north of Flagstaff. This is a strenuous rocky trail with over 3,000 feet elevation gain. Humphreys Trail is open year round but snow can make the hike difficult during the winter months. Since the snow cover and lack of signage can make navigation difficult, it is recommended that you use the app's recorder feature to avoid getting lost.

Came when it was open. Cool hike, long but sweet view when your at top

You will get a good workout from this hike. The views are beautiful!

Amazing hike unfortunately the trail is closed still. Big sign at the bottom of Snowbowl saying trial is closed too.

I did this hike back in late June or early July and it was perfect. I think it was about 10 mi round trip but perfect for a day trip! Pack a lunch and plenty of water. Do NOT go up late in the day or get caught at the summit anytime after noon. Last time we had a random storm roll in and we got thunder, lightning, torrential downpour, sleet, snow and medium sized hail. Lol. Since it’s a very long trail and I’m used to the Phoenix Booty buster mini mountains...cardio wise I was more than prepared! No scrambling or anything like that. Pretty simple and peaceful :)

Don’t try hiking Humphrey’s! The road is closed at the bottom of Snowbowl

Amazing hike - recommend attempting a morning summit, seeing sunrise at highest peak in AZ is epic. I recorded the hike in 4k - posted on my channel for reference: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFCcB03vM-nepESoPJ4KvA

By far the best hike Ive been on in Arizona! I went up on March 15th. It was easy to follow the trail on the switchback part but after that I pretty much went straight up. Once you get to the ridge line its a straight shot which gave me a huge boost of hope. Super rewarding view at the top.

icy

DO NOT FOLLOW THE ALLTRAILS MAP I attempted the trail twice last week and could not reach the summit the first time. 1st attempt: The first time I followed the Alltrails map but the trail after the boulder field approx 6 km (4 mi) into the trail was covered in deep snow(waist deep in certain places) making progress extremely sluggish even with snowshoes on. This section of the trail is probably good for the summer but should be circumvented in the winter. Still, I continued to follow the app and managed to reach the saddle but it took me roughly 6 hours to get there. Due to this, I had to disappointedly turn back so as to reach the trailhead by sunset. 2nd attempt: This time I followed the Alltrails charted trail till about 5.4 km (3.3 mi) in after which I followed a trail that went straight up. Keep a lookout and you will spot it. This trail goes straight up and joins the charted trail about 0.4 km (0.25 mi) north of the saddle. This is the trail everyone that reached the summit had used and was much easier and quicker to follow. I reached the summit in just 4.5 hrs during this attempt. I also didn't need to use my snowshoes but I did use my crampons although microspikes are enough to safely hike the trail. There are a bunch of false trails due to people taking shortcuts but those false trails have softer snow and will slow down your progress, therefore, I recommend that you follow the Alltrails app until you need to start deviating to follow the above-mentioned trail. Other than that I'm glad I hiked this trail as the views were amazing. I could even see Grand Canyon to the north. It often is quite windy so make sure you have windproof clothing.

icy

Absolutely beautiful!! I did this in March so after about 4miles and I was so close to the top I couldn’t find the trail and didn’t make it and I’m super disappointed. Definitely want to try again in summer

Great hike. I summited the peak with my friend (10/12/19) at 13:03 and it was great! I also summited the peak on (02/29/20) from 09:45-15:44 with the same friend and we nearly died. There was too much snow and the top 300ft was domed with ice. It was terrifying slipping on such a steep mountain in all that ice/snow. DO NOT GO IN THE WINTER.

Started this trail fairly early in the morning. The start of the trail was easy to find and begin — I completed about half of the trail and had to turn around. There were no clear signs of which direction to go (all trails map was also bugging out). There were shoe print in going in several directions which were great to follow initially but ultimately I was unable to complete the route and had to turn around as I wouldn’t complete the summit in time. I would recommend this trail probably in the summer. There was just too much snow (I am 6ft and at certain points went knee deep because of freshly packed snow). Definitely bring snow shoes or spikes and trekking polls Again, not clearly marked and probably about 2-3 people on this trail a dayc(based on a sign in clipboard a quarter mile into the trail

Awesome day, fresh snow and no tracks on the way up. Cut it short about a mile from the summit due to time constraints.

I started from the Parking Lot 1 trailhead. The snow on a trail is well packed all the way to the first boulder field. I lost the trail there, but it happened to me in the summer too, so I was not freaking out, but rather followed some scattered foot and ski trails uphill. I did not use microspikes at the beginning although there were some slippery spots, but I definitely put them on once above the treeline. The snow there was well frozen and could hold me well, of course I tried to avoid uncovered boulder fields which are plentiful up there. But you can make it on the snow all the way to the ridge. The trail is well visible there and there are poles to guide you too. It took me 4 hours to the summit. The snow became less firm on the way back, but with the microspikes, there were no major problems. It took me 2 hours back to the parking lot. I have not seen any other hikers all day long. It should snow this weekend, so the trail will probably need to be broken with the snowshoes afterwards.

This is a tough hike, but it is an amazing view once you reach the top. The last leg above the tree line has a lot of loose rock and you really have to watch your footing.

icy

An amazing choice for a hike. Be warned it was very challenging and going down from the saddle was pretty tricky without snowshoes. Ice spikes worked really well, however i wish i would have brought snowshoes and trekking poles.

icy

Amazing trail, and a ton of fun to hike. Above tree line, the trail is well marked and fairly easy to follow. Make sure you follow it to avoid loose slabs of snow and cornices. Overall, Trail was in great condition this morning and the weather was perfect. Micro spikes were needed and an ice axe came in handy (glissading, mostly), although it can definitely be done without it. Highly recommend this mountain, the snow makes it that much better.

Early morning start, bring plenty of water and good shoes for rocks. Overall great hike

Attempted this peak Jan 19, 2019. Postholing most of the route, lots of fresh unpacked snow made for a LONG day. Snow shoes most of the way up. Turned back reluctantly close to the saddle, when the trail became harder to follow. Descended the ski slope when we could - nice shortcut to the parking lot. Headed to flagstaff for mountains of hard-earned Thai food.

A good hike (at least in the summer). But for very experienced (or motivated) hikers.

Very nice and challenging trail. I hiked it Jan 2nd, and there was lots of deep snow. Trail head is not very easy to find. The first half is relatively manageable, but about halfway up the snow is less packed and the trail is not very well marked. I ultimately had to turn back near the saddle. I recommend snow shoes in the winter time. Beautiful and rewarding hike though!