Hugh Norris Trail

Hugh Norris Trail is a 8.9 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and horses and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,395 feet Route Type: Out & Back

An absolute beast of a trail. Lots of upwards hiking, so getting back down can be a problem. One of those slow in, fast out kind of trails. This was brutal on me during the end. I got started at 8 AM. The mountains were shady, and it didn’t get hot until on the way back down. By the time you’re at the end, I was on my last legs. The views are worth it though. As you’re going up the back and forth trails, you get a glimpse of the view and how high you’re up. Wasson Peak and the walk to it are 360 degree views. Parking is pretty narrow. Not a lot of spots unless you come from the picnic area which is a hike itself.

Amazing trail, did it in Mid-September in about 4-5 hours. An early start is a must otherwise you will be left to cook on the exposed mountain. I went through about 2.5 litres of water with liberal use...

Beautiful trail especially when the saguaros, ocotillos and other desert plants are blooming. We didn’t go all the way, but the trail is wide and well made.

This is a heavily trafficked trail, we came out 8 o’clock on Thursday, and must’ve been 20 to. 30 People. It was a great hike beautiful wildflowers.

My apple watch clocked this at 10.04 miles. I think the rating depends on your fitness level. It is a solid moderate, but if you don't hike much it will be difficult. This is a gorgeous hike with 360 degree views as you travel up. Today, there were loads of poppies, lupine, sage, and mallow. They were less prominent as we started but really were beautiful about 1/2 way up. The 1st mile is stone risers, 1,168 to be almost exact! At about mile 3.1 there is another 0.2 - 0.3 miles of risers. You will lose elevation before the last push to the top, which is the steepest. The trail is well maintained, fairly smooth with the exception of a few sections of small cobbles, but not too bad. We started at 7 a.m. and ended at 1 p.m. This included lots of photo ops and about 30 minutes at the top. I'm glad we started early (highly recommended) as it was getting toasty on the way down. The trail is exposed, so while you can get in the shade of a saguaro to cool off you won't be hiking in shade. Take plenty of water. This is the longest hike I've done since December 2018 due to surgery and I did fine. We have hiked to Wasson via King Canyon before and I think this trail is prettier.

Gorgeous desert hike. Probably on the border between ‘moderate’ and ‘hard’ for some. Amazing views the whole way plus birds and wildflowers!

The views are fantastic! Exposed the whole way so ideal in spring or fall when temps are cooler. Enjoyed it!

Great day,beautiful trail!

Beautiful trail even when rainy windy and cloudy.

Good Hike. Unlike other comments, going to the top of Wasson peak was not the best part of this trail. The view was OK at the top, but the hike up had much better moments. I do think this trail is the more scenic way up the mountain.

Great trail. First part is like a stairmaster. Mileage is approximately 1 mile longer than stated. Still worth the trip. Will do it again and again.

Hugh Norris is 9.8 not 8.9. Nice trail; lots of stairs. Can be really windy on the peak!

I did this hike solo in just under 5 hours. It was absolutely stunning. The scenery was amazing. The hike isn’t technical or overly difficult, just long and sunny. Bring lots of water and lunch so you can eat it atop Wasson Peak and enjoy the view.

Saturday, September 01, 2018

Very scenic hike - from the perspective of the mountains themselves, the breathtaking views from elevation, and the vegetation. Not difficult from a climbing perspective, but a long slog with virtually no shade (was like a long cool drink of water when a cloud passed over on the way back) - recommend doing in early morning or when temps are a little lower.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Best hike in saguro

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Beautiful scenery, 360 view at the top of Wasson Peak.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Hugh Norris to WassonPeak: We started at 9am and finished at 4pm. It was 10-mi RT. Very steep in spots and hard on the knees, but worth every ache and pain! Take plenty of water, food, and trekking poles!

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Started around 7:20am. it was cold and quite windy. We didn't go all the way to the peak this time but we did hike 7.4 miles and 5 hours of workout. the sun rise was so beautiful with all the colors, I just had to snap some photos.

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Beautiful hike! Went with 6 and 8 year old granddaughters on Xmas day. Easy to begin the hike got more difficult once you reached the hills. Kids had no problem because it was such a gradual incline with easy steps. Will do again anytime!!

Friday, November 24, 2017

Gorgeous hike. Extremely well-built trail. Views throughout. Probably the easiest summit hike around Tucson.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Great elevation gain. The stairs make it an interesting hike. Beautiful desert scenery!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Really awesome trail. Great views. Lots of stairs at the beginning though.

Monday, February 13, 2017

A great hike. With some amazing views

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

I had been on the Sweetwater and King Canyon trails on the way to Wasson Peak in the past. This past weekend, I took this one (Hugh Norris). In my humble opinion, this is the most scenic way to Wasson peak. I simply couldn't stop taking pictures along the way. In fact, I took so many pictures, I didn't have time to go all the way to the end of the trail. So I've only seen about the first two miles. The incline is pretty reasonable for the part I did. Can't wait to see the rest!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Great trail and we made it to Wasson peak. Started early so it wasn't too hot and returned on the Sweetwater and Kings Canyon trail. Loved the pictographs

Sunday, February 21, 2016

This was the first hike of our SE Arizona vacation. It was incredible! The trail is well maintained. There are erosion steps for the first mile or so. The grade is steady, not too steep, all the way to Wasson Peak, where you will find amazing panoramic views of the Tucson area. We met many other friendly hikers on the trail.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Definitely need a lot of water, and you should start early. Starting at 8am I went through 3L and this was in Feb. when it was only 83° and its peak. Took me a good 5hrs round trip, not pushing too hard and taking a lunch break at the peak. Some beautiful views of the surrounding area and saguaro fields. Very little shade throughout, and when the sun gets above the peaks there is even less. No facilities or water.