Hugh Norris Trail is a 9.8 mile out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and horses and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,395 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As usual, all trails is completely wrong with the mileage, it’s clearly marked that it is 4.9 miles each way, which of course means 9.8 miles not 8.9. This is a very beautiful trail with wild flowers and panoramic views. It’s tough though.

Great overall hike. First mile or two is a climb, mostly with stairs, in perfect Sonoran desert flora and rock formations. Next comes some gorgeous wildflowers followed by sweeping vistas in all directions. Then you work a bit to get to the summit, enough exercise without being whipped. Got to the top in 2 hours 45 minutes at a moderate pace.

Wild flowers are starting to bloom! Beautiful vista of the surrounding area.

Beautiful hike with cacti all around. Only went 1 mile in, uphill with stairs and switchback but not too hard. found a wonderful vista on the ridge to soak in the views. We had a 30ft camper so they told us not to drive up the dirt road, although I think it would have been fine. so we parked at the bottom of the loop and walked .9 miles on the road to beginning of trailhead. Beautiful views from the road too.

hiked 2/16 (Sunday) SAGUAROS! as far as the eye can see!! man, I loved this trail. I came after 11 am and parking at the trailhead was completely full (limited parking at trailhead). I drove around a bit and came back hoping someone might have left but no luck, haha. I parked in a spot at the beginning of the loop drive and hiked to the trailhead (I saw other people doing the same thing). low 60sF and absolutely perfect weather. Went through 2L of water. Zero shade! Trail is wonderfully paved but does have a bit of loose rock and gravel in some parts. Practically a staircase straight up. A small handful of people were at the top but it didn’t feel like the trail was busy at all. It was wonderful! and the views were amazing!

Did this in 110'f weather. Was manageable was left with about 2/4L in my pack. Trail is well worn with an amazing view of the surrounding saguaro forest.

We hiked 1 mile in and reached an incredible panoramic view. Totally worth it even if you want a shorter 2 mile hike.

Apple Watch got this at 10.12 mile out and back. Very hard trail and not for beginners. The first mile is uphill stairs and in my opinion, the most difficult part. Then it flattens out temporarily but the rest of the way up is up up up. Rewarding view at the top and easy on the way down. Took 6 hours exactly including a 20 minute break at the top.

An absolute beast of a trail. Lots of upwards hiking, so getting back down can be a problem. One of those slow in, fast out kind of trails. This was brutal on me during the end. I got started at 8 AM. The mountains were shady, and it didn’t get hot until on the way back down. By the time you’re at the end, I was on my last legs. The views are worth it though. As you’re going up the back and forth trails, you get a glimpse of the view and how high you’re up. Wasson Peak and the walk to it are 360 degree views. Parking is pretty narrow. Not a lot of spots unless you come from the picnic area which is a hike itself.

Amazing trail, did it in Mid-September in about 4-5 hours. An early start is a must otherwise you will be left to cook on the exposed mountain. I went through about 2.5 litres of water with liberal use...

Sat Apr 27 2019

Fri Apr 19 2019

Beautiful trail especially when the saguaros, ocotillos and other desert plants are blooming. We didn’t go all the way, but the trail is wide and well made.

Sun Mar 31 2019

There are a LOT of stairs. I had to stop to catch my breath. But, the views were great. Didn't make it to the top.

Thu Mar 21 2019

This is a heavily trafficked trail, we came out 8 o’clock on Thursday, and must’ve been 20 to. 30 People. It was a great hike beautiful wildflowers.

Mon Mar 18 2019

My apple watch clocked this at 10.04 miles. I think the rating depends on your fitness level. It is a solid moderate, but if you don't hike much it will be difficult. This is a gorgeous hike with 360 degree views as you travel up. Today, there were loads of poppies, lupine, sage, and mallow. They were less prominent as we started but really were beautiful about 1/2 way up. The 1st mile is stone risers, 1,168 to be almost exact! At about mile 3.1 there is another 0.2 - 0.3 miles of risers. You will lose elevation before the last push to the top, which is the steepest. The trail is well maintained, fairly smooth with the exception of a few sections of small cobbles, but not too bad. We started at 7 a.m. and ended at 1 p.m. This included lots of photo ops and about 30 minutes at the top. I'm glad we started early (highly recommended) as it was getting toasty on the way down. The trail is exposed, so while you can get in the shade of a saguaro to cool off you won't be hiking in shade. Take plenty of water. This is the longest hike I've done since December 2018 due to surgery and I did fine. We have hiked to Wasson via King Canyon before and I think this trail is prettier.

Tue Mar 05 2019

Gorgeous desert hike. Probably on the border between ‘moderate’ and ‘hard’ for some. Amazing views the whole way plus birds and wildflowers!

Sun Mar 03 2019

The views are fantastic! Exposed the whole way so ideal in spring or fall when temps are cooler. Enjoyed it!

Sat Feb 16 2019

Great day,beautiful trail!

Sun Feb 03 2019

Beautiful trail even when rainy windy and cloudy.

Fri Jan 11 2019

Good Hike. Unlike other comments, going to the top of Wasson peak was not the best part of this trail. The view was OK at the top, but the hike up had much better moments. I do think this trail is the more scenic way up the mountain.

Thu Jan 10 2019

Great trail. First part is like a stairmaster. Mileage is approximately 1 mile longer than stated. Still worth the trip. Will do it again and again.

Sat Dec 15 2018

Hugh Norris is 9.8 not 8.9. Nice trail; lots of stairs. Can be really windy on the peak!

Wed Dec 12 2018

I did this hike solo in just under 5 hours. It was absolutely stunning. The scenery was amazing. The hike isn’t technical or overly difficult, just long and sunny. Bring lots of water and lunch so you can eat it atop Wasson Peak and enjoy the view.

Sat Sep 01 2018

Very scenic hike - from the perspective of the mountains themselves, the breathtaking views from elevation, and the vegetation. Not difficult from a climbing perspective, but a long slog with virtually no shade (was like a long cool drink of water when a cloud passed over on the way back) - recommend doing in early morning or when temps are a little lower.

Mon May 28 2018

Best hike in Saguro

Sat Mar 24 2018

Beautiful scenery, 360 view at the top of Wasson Peak.