Hualapai Mountain via Patato Patch Loop is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kingman, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome hike! Very well maintained with some beautiful views. Everything is very clearly marked.
The first part of this hike is fairly easy. Once you begin the ascent to aspen peak & dean peak it begins to become steep & rocky.
After me and my girlfriend reached the rectangular marker for aspen peak we went north past the bench and continued up narrow trails to a street sign nailed into a tree where a beautiful view is! But keep going past this to get to the best view! The very top takes a lot of rock climbing and is somewhat dangerous if you aren’t careful. Definitely worth the view!

My wife and I took our 5 month old on this trail today. We did the Patato Patch Loop and also hiked to Hayden peak. The trail was shaded well in most parts and overall well maintained, but there were some spots tough to navigate with a baby in a carrier. If I had one recommendation I would say the trail signs could be a bit better.

most awesome trail... deer elk squirrel and mountain lion...

My wife and I hiked to aspen peak from deer canyon yesterday. Starting at deer canyon adds two miles to the hike. So we traveled 7.4 miles.
It was a great hike and we saw a lot of wildlife along the way.
Weather was perfect, 85f and overcast.
Being from Bullhead City it was nice to escape the 118f weather.
We are looking forward to going to Hayden peak next.

I live in Kingman at the bottom of Hualapai Mountain so I have hiked this trail more times than I can count. There are two primary peaks to climb here: The Aspen Peak trail and the Hayden Peak Trail.

I'm writing this review to hopefully share valuable information. Aspen Peak is, without a doubt, the best view on the mountain. However, the true peak of Aspen Peak is hidden, and a sign throws people off thinking they have reached the top when they have not.

The top of Aspen Peak appears to be a bench with a little sign post that says "trail" - and it offers a mediocre view of the ranger station and campground. That little sign post should be removed as I have seen people stop here and assume this is the end of the hike.

KEEP GOING. Behind that bench is an incredibly obscured little trail. Look for the fallen logs marking the trail behind the bench. This little stretch is extremely steep and will take you up the last qtr mile or so. You will know you are at the top when you see a green road sign hammered into a tree saying, "Peak"

From here you can glimpse a breathtaking view to the northwest and see Kingman. Over on the rocks to your right, you can catch a spectacular view of I-40 East disappearing into the horizon towards Flagstaff and 93-S to Phoenix following the mountain ranges south.

The only direction you cannot see from here is southwest towards Bullhead or Havasu.

This time of year should of been cold but temperatures were 60’s. Absolutely gorgeous and very easy hike for regular hikers. There are many spots you can get peace and quiet. Meditation would be no problem. I am from Running Springs California and the trails here have the same rock structure as home. Worth it for sure

Wednesday, December 06, 2017

This trail is beautiful! Nice incline with several switchbacks. Trail is clearly marked and well maintained. Entrance fee of 7.00 and they take debit cards. Not bad for fresh air! I've driven past the exit from interstate 40 several times and finally decided to check it out. It's only a 20 min drive up the mountain and so very worth it! I will do this again.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Nice but very populated. The views are vast and for a northerner it was so refreshing to hike in trees and shade again. Saw many tarantulas. The hike out was less traveled, I could tell most people go to the first viewpoints and out again or to Aspen peak as an out and back. Nice area but not sure I'll come back here again, I prefer a lot more solitude.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We hiked the Stonestep Lookout trail and the views were wonderful! The hike was only about 0.5 miles but it was very steep and had lots of switchbacks. I would rate this trail on the high end of easy and the low end of moderate...somewhere right in between. The elevation is fairly high at 6840'. The trails is fair well traveled and the foliage is all cleared away, but there are some fallen trees to pass under and boulders to traverse. I also saw a few lizards and a deer cross in front of us. The views at the top are just so incredible and intense. I will absolutely go on this trail again!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Great Family Fun!

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Cool hiking trail : )

Monday, September 26, 2016

The views are neat on the Aspen and Hayden trails. However, kind of a tame place for adventurous folk. There is some mountain climbing towards Hayden peak, near radio towers, but otherwise a mild experience with the main loop being only 3-4 miles round trip.

Would be a great place for a family outing, though. Lots of cabins nearby for rent. Friendly rangers at the ranger station.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

I loved hiking this trail! From the ranger station, a short drive up the mountain through the campgrounds leads to the trailhead. The hiking trail offers a 3.3 mi loop, with offshoots on the loop to two separate peaks. I decided to do the Aspen peak. Exciting trail through lots of different biomes, and amazing views along the way as this mountain range has more elevation than most in the surrounding area. Extra props to the ranger station lady, she was very nice and friendly.

off road driving
Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Trail was moderate however there are few spots youll need to move around. It is a long drop in spots. Recommend day time tripTook the trail and found the trail very narrow and parts pretty beat up. Make sure you leave early and bring plenty of water in case you have mechanical issues. Had one couple pass us the other way no one else. Pretty desolete and towards Yucca the trail had some areas of a landslide and had to move some of the debris to get by.
Probably would never take trail again without a second vehicle.

Good Luck

off road driving
Tuesday, November 12, 2013

3 of 5 stars to reflect the "moderate" difficulty of this route. Beautiful views, lots of back country camping available. I've ridden this route 3 times on a dual sport motorcycle, and have met both quads and Jeeps along the way. Popular with locals from Kingman, Bullhead, and Havasu.

Depending on recent weather, the route may be impassable, check with the Ranger Station at Hualapai Mountain Park, 928-757-3859

Flag Mine Rd. meets Boriani Mine Road at the south end, then intersects Alamo Road at the east side of Yucca, AZ. Boriani Mine is visible on the north side of Boriani Mine Road, then you will see the northern most natural stand of Saguaro Cactus, marching up the side of a protected cove on your north side.