Horton Springs Trail

Horton Springs Trail is a 8.6 mile out and back trail located near Forest Lakes, Arizona and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Payson: Travel north on Hwy. 87 to Forest Road 300, 15.7 miles miles west of Hwy. 260 The trail sign is on the south side of the road.

Beautiful hike

Good hiking trail with dogs. Lots of places 2 stop & soak the dog paws while U enjoy the beautiful scenery. U can also catch the turning of the colors.

Did the Horton-Highline-Derrick LOOP. Long, but doable, very peaceful. Spring water COLD, refreshing, drinkable. Highly recommend. Get out and hike!

Awesome! Whoever put the trail markers on Horton Springs Trl, you are amazing!! That trail was tough. Horton Springs Creek Trail was great and enjoyable. Climbing up back to FR300 was killer but we did it

One of our family favorites! Also great for an overnite trip.

We started this trail at FR300 or Rim Rd. It's a mile straight down the rim. Brutal hike, steep grades. The trail is barely visible at times and invisible at others. Poorly maintained. The reward is Horton Springs at the end.
Many thanks to the folks we meet just below the FR 300 road that gave us water and electrolites. They helped a ton getting us down the mountain!

One of our favorite as a family. Our 9 & 7 year old kids did this with us, along with our puppy. Great great hike!!

Horton Creek is the trail from Zane Gray Rd to just before the spring. It is a pretty easy, well trodden trail with plenty of shade and places to get wet in the creek. Once you get to the spring, cross the creek and go through a gate. Horton Spring trail continues just to the right and is marked by a rock cairn. This is a very strenuous hike due to the elevation gain, route finding and overgrown trail with loose footing. It leads up to Rim Road (official start of this trail) in just over 1 mile with a 1000+ ft elevation gain. Probably one of the harder hikes I've done but it was so beautiful and I didn't see a single other person on this trail. There are a lot of cairns marking the trail but still had mild difficulty finding the trail in a few spots on the way up. It was pretty easy to follow on the way back down. (I have a little extra distance in my route due to a dropped hat)

Walked this trail just before the Memorial holiday. Great hike, noisy with the water flowing, the wind in the trees and a massive number of lizards and other critters scurrying through the brush, a few hikers but they were quiet. maybe they were just like me listening to nature. Temperature was nice at about 85 and the views are great. Plan on doing this one again

This was by far one of the hardest hikes I've done...... so far that is . It's very very beautiful BUT the climb in for the first 1.2 miles and that same portion out are very difficult. The trail isn't marked well at all due to fallen trees. My father wife and I tried to set up as many markers as we could. On the decent down I had fallen three times and got some bumps and scrapes so did my partners but we continued on and got a wonderful hike out of it! I would definitely only recommend to very experienced hikers. Oh and once you have gotten to the spring the trail for that 4mile portion is a breeze. Bring lots of water AND remember to drink it.

..don't expect Niagara Falls..but it's pretty cool (literally) considering you're in the middle of nowhere in desert Arizona. In the immediate area of the spring it looks like a million boy scouts trampled every square inch of ground..lol

One of my favorite trails. It's such a contrast to the desert hikes in the valley. The water flows every time I'm there

Great way to get out of the heat!

I enjoyed this hike, it wasn't too strenuous, a good distance too for a day hike, and the water was VERY refreshing (as in SUPER COLD) when I was there. We some some wildlife and most of the hike was in shade, so the heat of AZ didn't bother us too bad.