Horton Springs Trail

Horton Springs Trail is a 8.4 mile out and back trail located near Forest Lakes, Arizona and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Payson: Travel north on Hwy. 87 to Forest Road 300, 15.7 miles miles west of Hwy. 260 The trail sign is on the south side of the road.

AllTrails must have Horton Springs and Horton Creek mixed up. Yesterday, I did Horton Springs with a couple of buddies. I was beautiful, but AllTrails says that it’s a 2,400 foot elevation gain, it wasn’t. It was about 1,000 feet, which left me wondering if we had reached the real Springs or if we had to keep going.... but that was it... so a nice, gradual elevation hike...... next time, we’ll do Horton Creek which AllTrails shows at 1100 feet.... my guess is that it will be the challenging 2400 foot one. Based on AllTrails, you may prepare for a lighter hike only to be challenged by a more demanding effort.

Fiancé and I have done this trail twice now. Once with day packs and her 7 yo granddaughter, and once at night with fully loaded packs.
We truly enjoy this trail day or night.

Beautiful hike

Good hiking trail with dogs. Lots of places 2 stop & soak the dog paws while U enjoy the beautiful scenery. U can also catch the turning of the colors.

Did the Horton-Highline-Derrick LOOP. Long, but doable, very peaceful. Spring water COLD, refreshing, drinkable. Highly recommend. Get out and hike!

Awesome! Whoever put the trail markers on Horton Springs Trl, you are amazing!! That trail was tough. Horton Springs Creek Trail was great and enjoyable. Climbing up back to FR300 was killer but we did it

One of our family favorites! Also great for an overnite trip.

We started this trail at FR300 or Rim Rd. It's a mile straight down the rim. Brutal hike, steep grades. The trail is barely visible at times and invisible at others. Poorly maintained. The reward is Horton Springs at the end.
Many thanks to the folks we meet just below the FR 300 road that gave us water and electrolites. They helped a ton getting us down the mountain!

One of our favorite as a family. Our 9 & 7 year old kids did this with us, along with our puppy. Great great hike!!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Horton Creek is the trail from Zane Gray Rd to just before the spring. It is a pretty easy, well trodden trail with plenty of shade and places to get wet in the creek. Once you get to the spring, cross the creek and go through a gate. Horton Spring trail continues just to the right and is marked by a rock cairn. This is a very strenuous hike due to the elevation gain, route finding and overgrown trail with loose footing. It leads up to Rim Road (official start of this trail) in just over 1 mile with a 1000+ ft elevation gain. Probably one of the harder hikes I've done but it was so beautiful and I didn't see a single other person on this trail. There are a lot of cairns marking the trail but still had mild difficulty finding the trail in a few spots on the way up. It was pretty easy to follow on the way back down. (I have a little extra distance in my route due to a dropped hat)

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Walked this trail just before the Memorial holiday. Great hike, noisy with the water flowing, the wind in the trees and a massive number of lizards and other critters scurrying through the brush, a few hikers but they were quiet. maybe they were just like me listening to nature. Temperature was nice at about 85 and the views are great. Plan on doing this one again

Sunday, May 28, 2017

This was by far one of the hardest hikes I've done...... so far that is . It's very very beautiful BUT the climb in for the first 1.2 miles and that same portion out are very difficult. The trail isn't marked well at all due to fallen trees. My father wife and I tried to set up as many markers as we could. On the decent down I had fallen three times and got some bumps and scrapes so did my partners but we continued on and got a wonderful hike out of it! I would definitely only recommend to very experienced hikers. Oh and once you have gotten to the spring the trail for that 4mile portion is a breeze. Bring lots of water AND remember to drink it.

Monday, May 22, 2017

..don't expect Niagara Falls..but it's pretty cool (literally) considering you're in the middle of nowhere in desert Arizona. In the immediate area of the spring it looks like a million boy scouts trampled every square inch of ground..lol

Monday, May 08, 2017

One of my favorite trails. It's such a contrast to the desert hikes in the valley. The water flows every time I'm there

Monday, April 24, 2017

Great way to get out of the heat!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I enjoyed this hike, it wasn't too strenuous, a good distance too for a day hike, and the water was VERY refreshing (as in SUPER COLD) when I was there. We some some wildlife and most of the hike was in shade, so the heat of AZ didn't bother us too bad.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Amazing Great hike for the summer pine trees almost all the way. Very nice shady walk and the creek is so beautiful at the end of the hike you get to see the spring where all the water come from. You can do it two ways along the creek wish is my favorite or there is a well mark trail up in the woods if you want a little more power to your walk. Enjoy it. Love Arizona.

Friday, July 01, 2016

It is VERY important to know that this is trail 292 Horton SPRINGS trail that starts at the TOP of the Rim and descends one mile of rocky switchbacks to the bottom where it meets trail 285 Horton CREEK trail everyone else is reviewing. it's a beautiful descent, but strenuous climb out. Trail is very well marked with cairns but gets steep towards the bottom and is a bit closer to a scramble. Bring lots of water on a hot day. very rewarding, calorie torching hike.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

A great trail to get out of the Phoenix heat. It took us a little under 2 hours to drive from the 202 and Williams Field. We took our 3 and 1 year old in carriers and made it 2 miles in before we turned and around. Well worth the drive and short hike.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Great trail! 95% shaded, super rejuvenating. National Forest lists the mileage as 4 to the springs, 8 total. I finished it in less than 3 hours so that's probably an overestimation. Fishing is available in the creek and you'll share your trail with horses (and therefore their dung). There are quite a few trees down on the trail that hinder progress but are mostly easy to avoid. All in all, very cute day hike.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Started this trail at 715 am and didn't see anybody until after 1200.
Snow had covered up the trail in some areas but not a big deal. What a fantastic and beautiful trail!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Oh, man I love this hike. It's so damn beautiful, the whole way. Ah. And the clean spring water at the end is to die for! Next time I'm bringing empty bottles.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Not too difficult of a hike, did it with my family (ages 6 & 8), forest views with a nice creek and a beautiful crystal clear spring at the end coming out of the rocks.

Friday, October 26, 2012

horton springs is a flat hike it isnt very hard but it is a hike where u should bring lots of water