Horton Springs Trail

Horton Springs Trail is a 8.6 mile out and back trail located near Forest Lakes, Arizona and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Payson: Travel north on Hwy. 87 to Forest Road 300, 15.7 miles miles west of Hwy. 260 The trail sign is on the south side of the road.

We started this trail at FR300 or Rim Rd. It's a mile straight down the rim. Brutal hike, steep grades. The trail is barely visible at times and invisible at others. Poorly maintained. The reward is Horton Springs at the end.
Many thanks to the folks we meet just below the FR 300 road that gave us water and electrolites. They helped a ton getting us down the mountain!

One of our favorite as a family. Our 9 & 7 year old kids did this with us, along with our puppy. Great great hike!!

Horton Creek is the trail from Zane Gray Rd to just before the spring. It is a pretty easy, well trodden trail with plenty of shade and places to get wet in the creek. Once you get to the spring, cross the creek and go through a gate. Horton Spring trail continues just to the right and is marked by a rock cairn. This is a very strenuous hike due to the elevation gain, route finding and overgrown trail with loose footing. It leads up to Rim Road (official start of this trail) in just over 1 mile with a 1000+ ft elevation gain. Probably one of the harder hikes I've done but it was so beautiful and I didn't see a single other person on this trail. There are a lot of cairns marking the trail but still had mild difficulty finding the trail in a few spots on the way up. It was pretty easy to follow on the way back down. (I have a little extra distance in my route due to a dropped hat)

Walked this trail just before the Memorial holiday. Great hike, noisy with the water flowing, the wind in the trees and a massive number of lizards and other critters scurrying through the brush, a few hikers but they were quiet. maybe they were just like me listening to nature. Temperature was nice at about 85 and the views are great. Plan on doing this one again

This was by far one of the hardest hikes I've done...... so far that is . It's very very beautiful BUT the climb in for the first 1.2 miles and that same portion out are very difficult. The trail isn't marked well at all due to fallen trees. My father wife and I tried to set up as many markers as we could. On the decent down I had fallen three times and got some bumps and scrapes so did my partners but we continued on and got a wonderful hike out of it! I would definitely only recommend to very experienced hikers. Oh and once you have gotten to the spring the trail for that 4mile portion is a breeze. Bring lots of water AND remember to drink it.

..don't expect Niagara Falls..but it's pretty cool (literally) considering you're in the middle of nowhere in desert Arizona. In the immediate area of the spring it looks like a million boy scouts trampled every square inch of ground..lol

One of my favorite trails. It's such a contrast to the desert hikes in the valley. The water flows every time I'm there

Great way to get out of the heat!

I enjoyed this hike, it wasn't too strenuous, a good distance too for a day hike, and the water was VERY refreshing (as in SUPER COLD) when I was there. We some some wildlife and most of the hike was in shade, so the heat of AZ didn't bother us too bad.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Amazing Great hike for the summer pine trees almost all the way. Very nice shady walk and the creek is so beautiful at the end of the hike you get to see the spring where all the water come from. You can do it two ways along the creek wish is my favorite or there is a well mark trail up in the woods if you want a little more power to your walk. Enjoy it. Love Arizona.

Friday, July 01, 2016

It is VERY important to know that this is trail 292 Horton SPRINGS trail that starts at the TOP of the Rim and descends one mile of rocky switchbacks to the bottom where it meets trail 285 Horton CREEK trail everyone else is reviewing. it's a beautiful descent, but strenuous climb out. Trail is very well marked with cairns but gets steep towards the bottom and is a bit closer to a scramble. Bring lots of water on a hot day. very rewarding, calorie torching hike.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

A great trail to get out of the Phoenix heat. It took us a little under 2 hours to drive from the 202 and Williams Field. We took our 3 and 1 year old in carriers and made it 2 miles in before we turned and around. Well worth the drive and short hike.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Great trail! 95% shaded, super rejuvenating. National Forest lists the mileage as 4 to the springs, 8 total. I finished it in less than 3 hours so that's probably an overestimation. Fishing is available in the creek and you'll share your trail with horses (and therefore their dung). There are quite a few trees down on the trail that hinder progress but are mostly easy to avoid. All in all, very cute day hike.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Started this trail at 715 am and didn't see anybody until after 1200.
Snow had covered up the trail in some areas but not a big deal. What a fantastic and beautiful trail!

Monday, August 10, 2015

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Oh, man I love this hike. It's so damn beautiful, the whole way. Ah. And the clean spring water at the end is to die for! Next time I'm bringing empty bottles.