Horseshoe and Desert Parks Loop

Horseshoe and Desert Parks Loop is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 88 feet Route Type: Loop

Flat trail with lots of plants. No inclines or difficult parts. Connects to many other trails and good identifying maps and trail markers. But pretty views of the mountains and of the city. Be aware if the time you choose to walk it.

great trail for beginners. beautiful scenery

Beautiful, rocky and quiet. Great hike if you’re looking for something simple. I recommend taking the short Saguaro loop shortly after you get on the Gateway. This time of year lots of plants are blooming. There were SO many bees. If you have a phobia I highly recommend waiting a few more weeks.

Rocky but a nice trail.

Good trail but a bit too rocky for my taste. I like to walk and enjoy nature as I go but with this one it’s mostly watching out not to trip and fall. Nice nature though, a good afternoon-evening walk.

Great facilities and beautiful rocky terrain through desert mountain foothills...lots of color in late March!

An easy trail for beginners with good views and nice scenery. We took the dog and a 7 year old, both loved it. Some sections are pretty rocky, so you need to watch your step. Overall very enjoyable and something we’ll do again soon.

This is a short trail that isn’t very difficult, not too rocky, more flat, and less scenic. It was great for leisurely walking my more high energy dog, Loki. I have a Husky (medium high energy not so strong large dog), Newfoundland (medium energy, hella strong giant dog) and Chihuahua (low energy old gal with some knee issues). I can see myself walking with all of them on this trail. It’s also less frequented than the Gateway Loop Trail. When we got on Gateway to loop back to the trailhead, we saw more people and dogs. I had a water pack on him to tire him out some more and to carry his own water. Hope this helps!

Recommend this for beginners like us. My 7year old son enjoyed the hike, distance is just right and with very good view!

Giving 5 stars as it was exactly what we were looking for. Family hike with 2 babies on carriers. Still had the “feel” of a hike, but mostly level and a nice distance. No shade so be prepared especially with little ones. Passed a few groups on a nice sunny Thursday morning. Great for families! Bathrooms and a fountain with filtered water.

Super trail to get back into hiking after a year long hiatus. Three hikes on this trail in a week and I'm ready to hike further. Poppies are in bloom now (February 2019) and I saw Ocotillo beginning to bloom as well. Overcast days produce the most beautiful photos and offer a cooler hike than when the sun is out. Hiked this trail with my three year old rescue pup and my late 60s hubby. Recommend for beginner hiker.

I hiked with my toddler in a pack. On a Thursday, it wasn’t too crowded. Nice and quiet. Clean and scenic. The man at the entrance was helpful and gave us a map. There are bathrooms too!

Quick hike great for kids

Easy trail on rocky path. Essentially flat/downhill after very small rise in elevation on gateway trail. Impressive interesting variety of cacti. Easy managed for beginners

Good for kids

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Easy trail that's basically flat. Nice trail if you just want to get in a quick hike and still have that feeling of being on a trail. Got a late start and this shares the trail with Gateway Loop so it was a little crowded initially with lots of loud chatter. However, once the trail split, I only encountered 4 other people and a dog along the way and was able to enjoy the birds chattering instead. :) I've done a few trails in the preserve and I think this preserve might be my favorite. There's a little something for everyone.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

My first hike and a loved it Lots of hikers and an easy trail The we come center was great with clean bathrooms

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Nothing particularly challenging, but the plant life is notable.

Friday, November 10, 2017

I really enjoyed this hike. The scenery is beautiful and will leave you invigorated.