Learn more

Horse Tale Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is best used from September until June.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 495 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The 'Horse Tale Trail' is the latest trail added to the Hawes Trail System. Offline map is recommended. Users have reported that the trails are not marked well.

we did twisted sister trail and horse tail loop for a total of 5 miles it was awesome and would definitely do it again ...where twisted sister ends the horse tail trail begin/ends ( depending on where u start) so we too the trail back to the car instead of going back through twisted sister it was a really good work out .... completed 5 miles in just under 2 hours

wow if u want a short and sweet GOOD LEG work out this is for u!! I loved it !! there is no WOW factor at the end of the trail but it was a pretty clean easy to follow "road" I am definitely doing this one again!! u can run in a alot of places too which I love doing so u get the best of both worlds

Good trail with views of red mountain and the river almost the whole way. The scenery around the immediate trail wasn't as pretty as others in the area, but still nice. I did not see another hiker the entire trail which was great, only 2 bikers. Skinny trail but very easy to follow.

Awesome trail very technical what a blast

nice fun hike rude bikers but was a purdy hike

Good hike. Some rude bikers that have no curiosity for the hikers but on Wild Horse there was nobody so made up for it. Great scenery and enjoyable hike with climbs and descents.

Got lost about 1.5 miles in. Trail is not clear whatsoever, so we had to turn around and just go back out. You get some nice views of horses though. A couple tough uphill parts but other than that ok. Didn’t enjoy not being able to complete the whole trail.

Nice trail to run. If you are looking for a nice easy, short run this is a good one.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Not difficult for sure. Decent trail, not spectacular. Saw 2 rattlers right by the trail today.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Not difficult. Bikers were riding out of control and we had to jump into the side of the mountain to get out of their way. Good hike, beautiful, and a would do again.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Great hike! Would not rank as difficult. Had a scare with out of control bikers racing to the bottom. They came around corner with no regard to blindspot and people on foot.

Wed Feb 20 2019

Not a difficult trail, while it is rocky at points. There are amazing views of some incredible, huge quartz, and other VERY interesting strata of rocks along the trail. It was somewhat lightly trafficked but I was tailed by a group of people who were yelling. At one point I heard someone curse across the canyon and yell out in distress. I shouted if they were ok, they responded no, and I sprinted about half a mile back just to see that it was just some teenagers, who were fine. That aside, this trail was beautiful. MSHA shows there is an open pit from the remnants of a mine near the big quartz, and we spotted three deer running up the hill nearby.

Sun Feb 03 2019

We hiked the Twisted Sister then used the Horse Tale Trail to get back to our starting point. It was a good hike, not difficult but definitely a good challenge.

Tue Jan 29 2019

Very slippery! Weathered granite the entire way. Bring your poles. I slipped a dozen times and would have landed eight of them had I not had my poles with me. This is a mountain biking trail, so be careful for bikers. The trail hairpins a lot, giving you constant views of Red Mountain.

Sun Jan 20 2019

This was a mountain biking trail that we hiked. It’s rated as hard, but I’d say it’s more moderate. The trail hair pins a lot, so you get constant views of Red Mtn. The entire trail is covered by weathered granite, so it was very slippery. Bring your poles! I slipped a dozen times and would have fallen eight of those times if it weren’t for my poles. We added on a segment that made it a loop trail. That brought us to an abandoned mine shaft about 30 minutes from the end.

Sun Nov 11 2018

Not too difficult, go early, the trail is completely exposed. I saw several horses on the trail, as well as trail runners.