Holbert Trail

Holbert Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,115 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This description starts from the Holbert TH and ends at the Mormon TH. See Directions for both at the bottom of the page. The Holbert TH takes you immediately into a passageway of large rock and if you look up you will start to see the ancient Rock Art appearing. You will travel out of the passageway into a fairly open area with more Petroglyphs on large and small boulders along the trail route. You will also see Petroglyphs on the rocks further above the trail on the hillside. After you encounter a large picnic area, the trail going east will gradually start to climb and soon you will parallel a paved road going to a large water tank against a hill. The Trail starts turning here to the south and the grade becomes a little steeper. You enter a large canyon and the trail becomes steeper yet, but is far from unmanageable and is well defined. The canyon serves as a large drainage and judging from the rock and steepness, is probably quite a site after a very large rainstorm. Don't forget to turn around every once in awhile and enjoy the views of the canyon and the city behind you. As you near the top of this canyon you will likely encounter more people as you pass Promontory Point, a scenic vista area with a large rock Ramada, with vehicle parking and restrooms.

Started this trail in the morning and only saw about 4 other hikers throughout. The trail wraps around the mountain and gives beautiful views along the way. Only issue is there are quite a few off-trails. I accidentally took one, but it was worth it for an overlook of the valley! There are some spots (boulders, a couple trees) to provide shade, but not much. My dog also had a blast jumping and climbing over boulders on trail!

On Holbert Trail yesterday. First time in a couple years. Went up about 2 miles, and then simply turned around and came back down. Not even close to alone, despite the heat. On the first lookout, there was a pile of discarded water bottles, just left lying. Alas, I picked them up and carried them down to trash.

hot Rocky and pretty boring... but great if you want to just do some cardio.

Glad I started early on this Independence Day hike, it's dead still and 82 degrees. Great hike, friendly traffic, excellent start to the day.

Excellent challenging trail with awesome display of nature and great views. Watch out for speeding bicycles when you cross the roads

I would not consider it as difficult/hard. there is a constant elevation but not much. Well maintained parking lot. Easy to get to. Visible trail to go to the top. you will need to exit to Dobbins Lookout to see the sunset view of the city. It took me four hours to go out and back because I had to take photos along the way. Be careful with the creepy crawling creatures on the ground. I would wear hiking boots for this trail. It should take only 2 hours to go out and back.

I would not say it was difficult. Slight elevation toward the top. You will need to exit Dobbins lookout to see the gorgeous sunset view and city lights at night. Well maintained trail. The road to the parking lot is also well maintained. It will take about 2 hours out and back. You can find my photos on Instagram annguyentravelalbum

Great experience. Started at 6 in the morning.

Great hike! I was not able to get to the top because some how couldn’t find it, I’ll come back for sure!

Loved this hike, will definitely do it again!

A great 2 hour hike. 1hr going up & 1hr heading down at a normal steady pace. I take my children as well, and they love it! Although they end up VERY tired. We've seen pretty flowers and birds. Also some lizards that are black w/an orange tail. It is a good trail to get a good workout in, and connect with nature.

Great solo hike. Last 1/2 mile was barely trafficked. Gradual incline with a scattering of steep passages.

Great morning hike. Quite a bit of people on the trail, so get there early. Lots of parking and great views. Couple of areas have some larger rocks to get over, but overall not too hard.

Great trail, really enjoyed it

Good views. Solid trail.

Every single step you take to get to the summit is worth it! The view from the top, especially during sunset, is like being in a dream!! It’s a great place to get out of the noisy routine and find an absolute silence and peace. I didn’t feel to be a hard hike. The trail is not very steep. Instead it goes up in a winding shape.

A really nice trail. I wouldn’t say it’s hard, so much as it’s rocky and requires attention so you don’t fall. I detoured to Dobbins Lookout, which was beautiful. Someone said the natural end of this trail isn’t all that scenic, which is true, but I found the view of the winding road and city skyline lovely on the way down.

LOVED IT!! So many beautiful sights, it changes up a lot, moderately challenging. My only complain is that the end of the Holbert Trail is nothing really worth working for, but the first 85 percent of the trail is great. Not too busy, the hikers are all polite. I really appreciate this trail being here. I will be back

This is a semi challenging hike with great views of the valley of the sun.

Hiked this trail with my husband.11/26-18...our fifth trail in seven days. It’s interesting how you can stay within a 10 mile area, hike four different mountains/peaks, and have them be completely different from each other, ie, terrain, rock formations, plant life, trail terrain, rain water fall out crevice conditions, etc. This is why we have fallen in love with hiking Phoenix! The overall general description of this trail is accurate, and hiking it is an excellent workout. Holbert Trail is a unique adventure, incredibly beautiful, and our favorite of the five we hiked this week!

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

This was the first trail I hiked in South Mountain Preserve and it is challenging. The hike has many different looks and layouts. The day I went in early March the trail was desolate surprising for a Saturday. Initially you go through a flat area over creek beds and around plant life looking up the side of the mountain. Then once you hit the brief road surface the upward climb begins. The trail though rated hard is definitely not technical in any aspect - at least not to a 40 something dad-bod climbing in Brooks. It does get steep in spots and doesn't really relent until just after the Dobbins Lookout cut off. Plenty of opportunity to look out over the northern part of the Valley of the Sun to see what is out there. From Dobbins it's flatter and more open with a good trail to go on. My only draw back is the trail crosses the road twice - once on somewhat of a blind curve. However, there are plenty of places this trail can get you on South Mountain. Still one of my favorite hikes in the Valley and I recommend it for running as well, if that's your thing, as it is lightly trafficked most of the time.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Did Holbert-National-Kiwanis today. I had done that trail before, but not in a few years. As many hikers know, Holbert is a little bit tough going up. Most times on Holbert, I have stopped at the lookout that is up about 1 mile. Today, I knew I had to reach End of Trail on Holbert, and then continue to National and Kiwanis. It was harder than I remembered! I actually fell off trail on Holbert while traipsing through the desert east of Dobbins Lookout and had to bushwhack up to the summit road, turn left and then hike up the road to the continuation of Holbert and then the link to National West. National is beautiful right there, sweeping within just a couple hundred feet of the radio towers that are visible from all over Phoenix. Kiwanis is essentially all downhill from right there, bringing an easy end to the difficult hike. Cactus flowers were out today! Fun stuff.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

great trail, so beautiful at sunset. did this alone. saw a snake at the very beginning, be safe.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Good, quick workout but it just sort of ends unless you go up to the very crowded lookout.