Holbert Trail to Dobbins Lookout

Holbert Trail to Dobbins Lookout is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Start out at the main entrance to South Mountain and make a left past the vistor's center. Go to the end of the road to the beginning of Holbert Trail. Get to the top and make a right to Dobbins Lookout. This trail is challenging at first. Inclines will definitely get your heart beat going. It is worth it get to the Lookout point. Good views of the city and the television tower on top of the mountain.

46 minutes ago

Awesome time

Great views along the way! Go early as the sun does shine on most of the trail making the climb seem tougher than it is.

What an ass kicker. I would rate myself as an easy-moderate trail hiker and I took this one on convinced in my head that I was more capable than I am. I got to the lookout point. The terrain is rocky and sandy and the sun beats down on the side of the mountain that most of the trail runs across. You better keep your eyes on the trail because any distractions will result in a trip and there are steep drop offs that could definitely hurt.
But persevere because the end goal is absolutely worth the pain. I'm crawling into a hot bath full of ice now to recover. Happy hiking.

One of my favorites !

Enjoyed the hike! I'm out of shape and sort of a beginner hiker and thought the hike was a good one. There were little kiddos and parents with their babies on their backs up and down the hike so it isn't as difficult as it is rated. The view at the top was rewarding and I came on a day where cars are blocked off.

Not Hard if you stay on the trails.
Use thick hiking boots. I have steal toed boots.
Extra water. Lots of fun !!!

Great trail. Specular view of a gorgeous sunset awaited us. Good trail for a family who may want to mix hiking for some and driving for some members not wanting to hike but supply the food at the top. Great place for a dinner with all the vistas.