Learn more

Holbert Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,115 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This description starts from the Holbert TH and ends at the Mormon TH. See Directions for both at the bottom of the page. The Holbert TH takes you immediately into a passageway of large rock and if you look up you will start to see the ancient Rock Art appearing. You will travel out of the passageway into a fairly open area with more Petroglyphs on large and small boulders along the trail route. You will also see Petroglyphs on the rocks further above the trail on the hillside. After you encounter a large picnic area, the trail going east will gradually start to climb and soon you will parallel a paved road going to a large water tank against a hill. The Trail starts turning here to the south and the grade becomes a little steeper. You enter a large canyon and the trail becomes steeper yet, but is far from unmanageable and is well defined. The canyon serves as a large drainage and judging from the rock and steepness, is probably quite a site after a very large rainstorm. Don't forget to turn around every once in awhile and enjoy the views of the canyon and the city behind you. As you near the top of this canyon you will likely encounter more people as you pass Promontory Point, a scenic vista area with a large rock Ramada, with vehicle parking and restrooms.

Excellent trail, it's about the same vertical elevation increase as Camelback or Piestewa, but about twice the horizontal length. It's easier than Camelback or Piestewa, but does take longer to complete. When you finish this trail keep going to Dobbins point for an amazing view, it's maybe 3/10 of a mile longer. Happy trails!

really nice

Great trail with a steady incline. There were a ton of people on the trail which slowed down the pace, but everyone was super polite and friendly. I am not sure I would consider this a difficult trail. Most people drop off at the dobbins look out so it was wide open from there on. You cross the road a few times to finish the trail. Overall condition of trail is very nice and it’s worth the hike.

I loved this trail! There is more than enough parking, so that is never an issue. The trail was very well marked and had decent views all the way to the top. It is very rocky, not much of a flat dirt trail.

I was surprised that you have to cross two roads to reach the end of this trail. And I was kind of expecting the best view from the top but that wasn’t so. Overall it’s an easy hike. Steady incline. I didn’t need to stop at all on the way up. It is really beautiful. I just wish people would use headphones on the trail.

This was a good trail. Very heavily trafficked. We enjoyed the beautiful rocks, wildflowers and desert botany. It was nice and quiet aside from people carrying along a speaker and blasting their own music. I enjoyed this trail but would not do it again because there were too many people.

Sunday morning hike. Going up only saw a few people, very busy coming down. Lots of people with loud music in their backpacks and dogs not on leashes.

recorded Holbert Trail

Absolutely stunning views!!! It’s a nice slow incline hike. If you go on a clear day all the views of the city are magnificent. I will be back

Too easy. May have rated it higher if it weren't rated as "Difficult". Also, pretty crowded on Sunday 08:30.

This trail wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The last three fourths of the trail didn't really lead anywhere. Instead, there's a scenic view stop near the end that I'd recommend as the end to this trail.

Nice trail - wouldn’t consider this “Hard” but a decent hike with some incline

An easy trail for me. I went on 10/29/19 with classmates and it was good. We started early so not much of hikers.

Love it!

Nice workout but Not a difficult trail. It is rocky and definitely a busy trail. Great views.

Started this trail in the morning and only saw about 4 other hikers throughout. The trail wraps around the mountain and gives beautiful views along the way. Only issue is there are quite a few off-trails. I accidentally took one, but it was worth it for an overlook of the valley! There are some spots (boulders, a couple trees) to provide shade, but not much. My dog also had a blast jumping and climbing over boulders on trail!

On Holbert Trail yesterday. First time in a couple years. Went up about 2 miles, and then simply turned around and came back down. Not even close to alone, despite the heat. On the first lookout, there was a pile of discarded water bottles, just left lying. Alas, I picked them up and carried them down to trash.

hot Rocky and pretty boring... but great if you want to just do some cardio.

Thu Jul 04 2019

Glad I started early on this Independence Day hike, it's dead still and 82 degrees. Great hike, friendly traffic, excellent start to the day.

Sun Jun 23 2019

Excellent challenging trail with awesome display of nature and great views. Watch out for speeding bicycles when you cross the roads

Tue Jun 04 2019

I would not consider it as difficult/hard. there is a constant elevation but not much. Well maintained parking lot. Easy to get to. Visible trail to go to the top. you will need to exit to Dobbins Lookout to see the sunset view of the city. It took me four hours to go out and back because I had to take photos along the way. Be careful with the creepy crawling creatures on the ground. I would wear hiking boots for this trail. It should take only 2 hours to go out and back.

Mon Jun 03 2019

I would not say it was difficult. Slight elevation toward the top. You will need to exit Dobbins lookout to see the gorgeous sunset view and city lights at night. Well maintained trail. The road to the parking lot is also well maintained. It will take about 2 hours out and back. You can find my photos on Instagram annguyentravelalbum

Fri May 24 2019

Great experience. Started at 6 in the morning.

Fri May 17 2019

Great hike! I was not able to get to the top because some how couldn’t find it, I’ll come back for sure!

Mon Apr 29 2019

Loved this hike, will definitely do it again!

Fri Apr 19 2019

A great 2 hour hike. 1hr going up & 1hr heading down at a normal steady pace. I take my children as well, and they love it! Although they end up VERY tired. We've seen pretty flowers and birds. Also some lizards that are black w/an orange tail. It is a good trail to get a good workout in, and connect with nature.