Highline National Recreation Trail

Highline National Recreation Trail is a 46.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Pine, Arizona that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

East out of Pine TH along Highline Trail. Turned up the Donahue Trail - that was a tough climb. Some of Donahue were hard to see due to overgrowth.

260TH to Pine TH. In other words, the whole thing, which following the updated trail and reroute, was 54.5 miles according to my GPS. Takes 3-5 days depending on your ability and weather cooperation. Although there were many, many dry creek crossings along the length of the hike, water was still pretty reliable for most of it (first week of May 2018) although you'd be smart to carry a couple liters at all times. Saw almost no one in my 4 days... one other solo chick hiker (good for you girl) and a group doing the AZT. Weather sucked day 3 with rain, snow, hail and everything in between which boxed me in in a waterless area feeling like survivorman catching rain water. Makes the finish line seem that much more awesome. End rant, be prepared, it's rugged country and around the midpoint of the trail you really are pretty far removed from any other humans. Saw deer and scads of elk and one small black bear and some of my favorite birds like grosbeaks, towhees, warblers, and hummers. Anyhow, I'm done with getting my butt kicked by this trail for now, maybe again come fall! Hiked with my little dog, beware the paws on all that abrasive rock. Mine wore boots for about half of each day's hike but we were both pretty gimpy at the end. Otherwise very dog friendly if your dog is in shape for it.

Here to work on my section of the AZT the best section on the whole 800 miles⛰

I did the whole thing starting at 260 TH to Pine in about 3 and a half days. The trail was beautiful with many opportunities for water and camping. Certain parts are very poorly marked. It seemed like I'd have to search for the trail again everytime I crossed a wash. Luckily it had just rained and I was able to follow other's footprints.

Hiked this trail from Pine TH to Geronimo TH around 8 miles one-way and turned around. I’m not a huge fan of walking the same trail in and out, but I did not have the time or gear to go the full 51 miles.

Did 7 miles from Horton to Derrick. Spectacular Fall colors. Love this one!

Started this from the east end (260 Trailhead) and only went in until I hit Drew Trail 291. Lovely hike with a variety of gullies and views. Much easier than Military Sinkhole Trail, which also starts at the 260 Trailhead.

Made a loop along the Derrick 2.1 trail to the Highline 2.6 to Horton Springs and back down the Horton Creek 3.3 trail to car. Easy hike and beautiful places to camp. Avoid the Springs on the weekends if you can it gets crowded.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

I did the ranch loop, which includes part of the Highline trail that circles up and over the plateau near the Pine trailhead. It was a magnificent view. Only complaint is that some of the trail markers at the top of the plateau were vandalized/missing. Crummy people.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

I hiked 4 miles in and out, fabulous beautiful trail. It wasn't strenuous but kept the heart rate up. Great hike, highly recommended.

Monday, May 02, 2016

There's a short stretch of this trail between Horton Creek, and Derrick trails in Payson. It is FAR from easy.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

I only did a seven mile section of the 50 miles. I started at the town of Pine and hiked 7 miles west and back. Nice hike, many scenic areas. Elevation put you in the pines and not the desert.

Monday, May 01, 2017