Hieroglyphic Trail

EASY 1,091 reviews

Hieroglyphic Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

At the end of this trail are petroglyphs and small waterfalls in early spring. Note: do not park on the side of the road - you will get towed. Instead be sure to park in the parking lot area.

Great little hike with kids. Was not crowded and nice views.

Did this hike on a Weekday morning. Only saw a handful of people the entire time. First half of the trail isn't anything special, but the second half makes up for it. Great easy/moderate hike. Spend some time at the top, the longer you look the more petroglyphs you see.

Easy fun trail for the kids.

Nice trail first hike was a bit tough due to distance for me, but fun!!

Decent short trail with a modest payoff at the end. 6.5 out of 10.

Nice trail with great views of the Superstitions. The petroglyphs are cool and we even saw a rattlesnake.

Heiroglyphic Trail is a good easy trail, with minomal elevation gain, a good hike for all skill levels, the coolest part was seeing the writings on the rocks at the top of the trail.

Went on Saturday with a friend. See some cactus flower bloom on the trail. Great work out. Beautiful design on the rock. Only challenge I have is to go around the biggest rock with so many people stand in the way. Not to give anyone access to get on rock my fear was to slide and fall but I did not

Great trail for a hiker with moderate ability.

A short hike to get to an amazing spot! Great photo ops. Go a little further up the the river to get to a very peaceful shaded spot.

Fun for the family. Not hard and has some amazing views, waterfall and hieroglyphics.

Beautiful views, have to do some minor rock climbing at the top but easy for all. Lots of families, dogs and little kids on this trail. Very picturesque! Have some hieroglyphics and the pools of water were mostly dried up in March but still some there to see.

This is a nice, easy hike. Due to this, it is busy.

Beautiful views of cactus and the valley! Easy to follow and especially amazing hieroglyphics at the end of the trail. Yesterday we were met by many telling us of mountain goats crossing the trail. We missed them, but you might get lucky as the water pools at the hieroglyphics apparently attract them to the trail. This trail can be done by people in a variety of fitness levels with probably a little variation in rests.

Went here last Saturday. It was a beautiful day. Easy trail and beautiful views.

Definitely not bike friendly. My son ended up leaving his bike a little ways in & continued on foot. I wouldn’t call this EASY, but not difficult. My 10 & 5 year old did the whole thing with little to no complaints. Great burn and incline!! Loved this trail. Super cool ending too! Totally worth it.

I took my in laws who are about 70 on this trail. I would say it’s moderate for someone who’s balance and skill level is not advanced.
Took us about 2.5 hours with a couple scenic breaks.
The views are great and the elevation is steady to the end of the trail. We started early around 8am and the trail was filling up around 10am significantly

Easy trail to hike beautiful sites to see

This was my first time back to hiking in while. I took my five kids, 3, 5, 6, 9, 11. The two oldest went ahead both directions and made friends along the trail. I carried the three year old most of the way, (though he probably could have walked, it just would have taken all day) and the two youngers stayed close by me. We brought a lunch and enjoyed the cool of the rocks in the shade while we ate. Then the kids had a good time exploring the rocks, climbing higher up, until it was time to go back. It was a great easy to moderate hike for me and the kids.

Beautiful hike! Although I would not say it’s flat!

Awesome trail!!!!

Great trial, not easy but worth the hike

Great trail and easy trail. The Hieroglyphics are pretty cool to see. There wasn’t that much water when i was there but after a good rain it would awesome to see. 90% of the trail was even, and easy to walk on. Gradual incline but nothing crazy. Kids can easily do the trail. Can’t wait to go back!

Great Hike! Almost no shade on the trail though, so the sun can be brutal

Great hike. The hieroglyphs were incredible

Great hike and very interesting

Nice hike today with my husband! He rates it as Moderate. Busy today, beautiful as always! Spotted a Lizard :)

Nice easy trail on an early March hike. Many Petroglyphs to see at end of trail. Lots of hikers on weekends. Get to the small parking area early during high season (Jan-Mar).

Great hike!

Fairly easy trail .... loose rocks made it interesting but not difficult. Nice amount of petroglyphs at the end