Hieroglyphic Trail

EASY 1,106 reviews

Hieroglyphic Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

At the end of this trail are petroglyphs and small waterfalls in early spring. Note: do not park on the side of the road - you will get towed. Instead be sure to park in the parking lot area.

No waterfall.

It’s a pretty Trail. The only downside was there were tons and tons of bees by the purple trees but we didn’t get stung lol we just ran right underneath each one. We also went right before sunset so not sure if it’s the time of day we chose to go because there were lots of nats also. The hieroglyphics at the end of the trail were cool and we did a little climbing up the stream since it was dry. It was totally worth it though to watch the sunset from up there!! Amazing amazing amazing view! Was a little nervous walking back in the dark but saw some deer, nothing scary haha.Definitely want to check out lost gold mine trail also which starts at the same trailhead. The backstory behind that was interesting.

It's pretty busy with lots of hikers off all ages and capacities. It's also a bit of a rocky path so with lots of folks there, you may have to take the rockier side of the path.

This was a beautiful, easy jaunt through the desert with lots of great views and very mild elevation gain. There's plenty of parking and the trail is well-marked the whole way. The petroglyphs at the end were really cool to see, as well!

This hike was great. The views were amazing! The petroglyphs on the rocks were very interesting. No water falls this time!

Great little hike with kids. Was not crowded and nice views.

Did this hike on a Weekday morning. Only saw a handful of people the entire time. First half of the trail isn't anything special, but the second half makes up for it. Great easy/moderate hike. Spend some time at the top, the longer you look the more petroglyphs you see.

Easy fun trail for the kids.

Nice trail first hike was a bit tough due to distance for me, but fun!!

Decent short trail with a modest payoff at the end. 6.5 out of 10.

Nice trail with great views of the Superstitions. The petroglyphs are cool and we even saw a rattlesnake.

Heiroglyphic Trail is a good easy trail, with minomal elevation gain, a good hike for all skill levels, the coolest part was seeing the writings on the rocks at the top of the trail.

Went on Saturday with a friend. See some cactus flower bloom on the trail. Great work out. Beautiful design on the rock. Only challenge I have is to go around the biggest rock with so many people stand in the way. Not to give anyone access to get on rock my fear was to slide and fall but I did not

Great trail for a hiker with moderate ability.

A short hike to get to an amazing spot! Great photo ops. Go a little further up the the river to get to a very peaceful shaded spot.

Fun for the family. Not hard and has some amazing views, waterfall and hieroglyphics.

Beautiful views, have to do some minor rock climbing at the top but easy for all. Lots of families, dogs and little kids on this trail. Very picturesque! Have some hieroglyphics and the pools of water were mostly dried up in March but still some there to see.

This is a nice, easy hike. Due to this, it is busy.

Beautiful views of cactus and the valley! Easy to follow and especially amazing hieroglyphics at the end of the trail. Yesterday we were met by many telling us of mountain goats crossing the trail. We missed them, but you might get lucky as the water pools at the hieroglyphics apparently attract them to the trail. This trail can be done by people in a variety of fitness levels with probably a little variation in rests.

Went here last Saturday. It was a beautiful day. Easy trail and beautiful views.

Definitely not bike friendly. My son ended up leaving his bike a little ways in & continued on foot. I wouldn’t call this EASY, but not difficult. My 10 & 5 year old did the whole thing with little to no complaints. Great burn and incline!! Loved this trail. Super cool ending too! Totally worth it.

I took my in laws who are about 70 on this trail. I would say it’s moderate for someone who’s balance and skill level is not advanced.
Took us about 2.5 hours with a couple scenic breaks.
The views are great and the elevation is steady to the end of the trail. We started early around 8am and the trail was filling up around 10am significantly

Easy trail to hike beautiful sites to see

This was my first time back to hiking in while. I took my five kids, 3, 5, 6, 9, 11. The two oldest went ahead both directions and made friends along the trail. I carried the three year old most of the way, (though he probably could have walked, it just would have taken all day) and the two youngers stayed close by me. We brought a lunch and enjoyed the cool of the rocks in the shade while we ate. Then the kids had a good time exploring the rocks, climbing higher up, until it was time to go back. It was a great easy to moderate hike for me and the kids.

Beautiful hike! Although I would not say it’s flat!

Awesome trail!!!!

Great trial, not easy but worth the hike

Great trail and easy trail. The Hieroglyphics are pretty cool to see. There wasn’t that much water when i was there but after a good rain it would awesome to see. 90% of the trail was even, and easy to walk on. Gradual incline but nothing crazy. Kids can easily do the trail. Can’t wait to go back!

Great Hike! Almost no shade on the trail though, so the sun can be brutal

Great hike. The hieroglyphs were incredible