Hieroglyphic Trail

Hieroglyphic Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

At the end of this trail, there are petroglyphs and small waterfalls in early spring. Note: do not park on the side of the road; you will get towed. Instead, be sure to park in the parking lot area.

recorded Hieroglyphic Trail

Loved the trail - it gets a little rocky towards the top but not bad and I didn’t haven’t any issues finding the trail! Loved it! I got a good workout in but didn’t feel like I needed to make many stops to the top.

We ran into some great wildlife. might be 5 star after a rain. Go cool down in the Cave after you reach the top!

This is a great hike, especially in the spring. It’s just beautiful. Breathtaking views. It’s just steep enough to break a little sweat, but was easy enough for my 5-year-old. We enjoyed the water at the end of the trail and kicked back and hung out for a while. The petroglyphs were super cool and the more you explored the more you found. The Porta potty‘s were disgusting at the trailhead- so I highly recommend stopping somewhere before hand - and DO NOT PARK in the towing area. A ranger had 4+ cars towed away when we were there; they mean business. Stay on the trail- rattlesnakes have been seen in that area and so has the scorpion weed.

Hiked the trail and found it to be nice and leisurely. Passed several people going and leaving and everyone was friendly. Lots to see and the petroglyphs I saw were amazing! Unfortunately no waterfalls this time (wait till monsoon season) but still a nice hike!

Went today, the wild flowers were everywhere! Perfect hike for early morning or early evening! The falls at the end were worth it from the rains we had earlier this month.

beauty is everywhere.. just did this hike this evening! wild flowers in bloom and beautiful water fall at the end due to the rain earlier in the month.

My Hubby and I really enjoyed this Hike. Would totally recommend this hiking trail. A little rocky but great views and beautiful scenery. There’s a little waterfall & creek at the end of this trail and huge rock area to sit and relax and enjoy the view. Definitely worth the hike.

We did this hike last week and hands down for beauty it’s my favorite this year. We started the trail by 8am. so there weren’t too many people at the top. The parking lot was packed by the time we came down. We saw a rattlesnake that wasn’t very happy. Over all an absolutely great way to start the day! Highly recommend this east trail to epic beauty!

Great views of wildlife and petroglyphs everywhere!

great trail

it was a lot of fun for a first hike. the scenery was beautiful but the scramble to get to the water fall was slippery. something to be careful of. here's a few photos!

I had a great time, the trail was busy but everyone was nice!

heavily trafficked to the first pool seems to be where most stop, hike past that and it is much more quiet

I recommend this trail. Especially if you want to take your kids hiking. When the water is still running at the top, the kids love to play in it. the Petroglyphs were all over the place and very cool to see. Pack a lunch and enjoy at the top.

Great trail.. beautiful scenery.. the water was flowing well.. only gave it a 4 because there were lots of kids running around unsupervised.. jumping and running in front of people.. good way to knock someone over &/or hurt someone.. I don’t mind kids being on trails at all but the parents really need to watch them and teach them hiking manners..

Trail was nice pretty easy if you hike often. Also very crowded definitely go early otherwise you won’t find parking in the lot. Pretty limited spots to park. Worth to go see once, probably won’t be back.

Beautiful trail! We started hiking at 6am and there were only a few hikers in the trail. There were TONS coming back. If you want to beat the crowds, start early

Packed, screaming kids and tourists being typical tourists! If you dont like hiking around a lot of people, this trail isnt for you!

This is one of my favorite trails. The water was really flowing this morning and it was beautiful! Great spot to sit and relax and/or have a picnic. Remember - pack in/pack out.

The Hieroglyphics trail on the West side of the Superstitions is a fairly easy and quick hike. I did this hike with family members and completed the hike in about 2 hours, including down time checking out the water and markings on the rocks at the end of the trail (not exactly the end, but hiking to the climax point of the markings). You could turn this hike in to about a 5 mile if you extended the hike past the markings, and even a LONG loop if you wanted to... This hike IS dog-friendly, a medium and large sized dog will have no issues on this hike, small dogs will need help getting over some of the transitions when you reach the climax. You will take in the beauty of the Superstition Mountains on this hike and for picture-takers, you won't have a shortage of plants and 360 degree views to shoot. This is a very heavily trafficked trail, so be prepared to share the trail and wait for people to pass if you go past 7am. You will also encounter runners on the trail, as it is a gradual incline that will give you a good, steady workout. I feel that hikers of all levels, including beginners would be okay on this hike. Have fun!

Very nice trail, but with huge crowds. Hiked on a Friday morning and found one of two parking spaces. Fortunately, the folks on the trail pointed out the hieroglyphics and the rattlesnake. The snake was poised to strike and rattling loudly. I got three good pix before it slithered off. The trail has lost of rocks and I recommend a trekking pole. Fantastic wild flower display!

easy hike. scenery is beautiful. started trail at 5:00 pm. hikers coming down said they saw rattlesnakes. We did not encounter any.

This is a beautiful trail!! I would rate it as Easy, though. I like more of a workout on trails than this gave but the views more than made up for it.

it's was an amazing hike. I took my three kiddos and we absolutely loved it.

lots of people, lots of views. good hike and small waterfall still running at the end. also, great wildflowers right now.

The hike was great! Beautiful hieroglyphics and a waterfall at the end!

Beautiful hike, great for family with the waterfall at the end. If you don’t like hiking with lots of people around this isn’t your hike.

beautiful day for a hike.