Hieroglyphic Trail

Hieroglyphic Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

At the end of this trail are petroglyphs and small waterfalls in early spring. Note: do not park on the side of the road - you will get towed. Instead be sure to park in the parking lot area.

22 minutes ago

Trail was really great. Definitely busier than I would have liked, but it was a holiday. I was impressed with all the kids and older people breezing through. It was MLK day and the lot was full so everyone was parked on the dirt road, we made the mistake of following suit and got towed. Thank goodness we had more people with a second vehicle to take us to our car, but they were ticketing and towing dozens of vehicles. Leaving folks stranded. Moral; no matter how many people are parked on the road, don’t do it! $75 for the tow and that was cheaper than a citation.

Such a great hike for families! Long enough for the little ones to complain (it’s good for them) but super rewarding at the end with all the rocks to climb. I had an 11, 10, 8, 5 and 2 year old (in a pack) with me and they all did awesome. The parking lot fills up quick and I got a ticket for parking along the road... so watch out for that!

loved the hike. my two boys did it pretty well without too much complaining and they loved the end!

Nice enjoyable hike. Cool little waterfall at the top. Be ready to climb over some rocks.

Hieroglyphic Trail is a lot of fun and should not be missed, there are petroglyphs and small waterfalls at the end of the trail along with beautiful views of the Valley. This family friendly trail is a 2.8 mile moderately-heavy trafficked and rocky out and back trail. Depending on experience level, this trail is mostly easy with some moderate features including rocky areas / loose gravel and "possible climbing" for some around the petroglyphs and waterfalls. For bonus points, keep hiking past the waterfalls for a more challenging experience. Weekend foot traffic can get heavy, best for weekday and early morning use. We highly recommend this trail.

Very very easy trail to hike, did it with my wife and her young nephews. Gorgeous when you get to the end with the spring and you can see the many Native American Petroglyphs. Carried a single bottle of water with me and was fine.

Love this trail! Not too strenuous but just enough to get your heart rate up, depending on your pace. The length of the trail is maybe 90% loose gravel and rocks so I recommend wearing shoes with good grip and stability. There are a couple of spots near the top where older or less-steady hikers might require 3 points of contact, but still, I saw plenty of folks 65+ make beyond those spots with no problem.

beautiful trail

This trail won't disappoint, my 85 year old Mom had no problem, but then again her nickname is mountain goat

The trail doesnt really end at the waterfall area. That's what makes this a great hike. All the touristy people stop at that point .You can keep on going and there is a TRAIL. No one out there. I'll go back to continue furthur on the SECRET trail..shh..

This was a nice morning hike! Took my dog for the first time and it wasn’t too hard for him. It’s beautiful at sunrise! It took about an hour to hike the whole thing!

a little rocky but a great day/workout. we would definitely do it again. the water and views were beautiful.

Perfect hike! Beautiful!

Was so beautiful in the evening! The only downside was too many people. There were probably at least 50 people I saw. I would still come back though! Waterfall was a nice thing to see

I loved this trail! It was a great morning hike and had a beautiful end area to explore. This is doable for all ages and dogs!

Great quick hike!!
I did this this afternoon 1-9 took about 2 hrs
a very beautiful trail with amazing views!
I was out there by myself very nice and peacful

great trail for a quick walk.

I love it at sunset. The views and colors are beautiful.

Got out on Monday. Trail was still wet in places and just a little soupy. However, it was still a good stroll in the Superstitions. The Petroglyphs did not disappoint. Even saw a fish of some sort in a pond that was near the etchings. Only downside (for me) was noticing the number of people that had their faces still stuck in their phones as they walked. I admire them on a level though as I'm certain I would have fallen numerous times due to the number of rocks to step over!

It's a very nice trail had the luck to enjoy it in the rain had waterfalls and caves had a blast would definitely go back to this one.

Beautiful sunrise hike with my friend Stephanie but no waterfall...very muddy in areas from the rain. Lots of birds chirping, Enjoy!!!

pretty cool

Hieroglyphic Trail is vey rocky but absolutely doable. Slight to no elevation change. Our three little dogs did great... but it was very crowded for them both humans and other pouches. Busiest Trail we have trekked and we have been on many around Arizona. Absolutely recommend going perhaps during the week to avoid the park & hiking heavy traffic.

Fun short hike

We loved it. Took the my boys 7 and 9 yr olds and they did great!

great hike! took my 5 and 6 year olds. the rocks were a little slippery at the end and it was pretty crowded but well worth it.

Loved this hike! So beautiful! Gonna bring my kids next time! They will enjoy this one!

Easy one. A lovely small canyon leads to a sweet reward of petroglyphs. I’m not one to finger wag, but please don’t climb all over the rock carvings. They didn’t stick around 1000 years to be worn away by folks needing an instagram story.

grandkid had a blast