Hieroglyphic Mountains OHV Loop

moderate 24 reviews

Hieroglyphic Mountains OHV Loop is a 17.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wittmann, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and off road driving.

Distance: 17.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,712 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

Nice ride. Has a little bit of everything you want in a 3-4 hour trail ride.

ohv/off road driving

This trail’s earlier reviews were either under rated or from a different trail...as this was AWESOME! 2020 Jeep Rubicon- bone stock....I think I took this backwards from the others...LP 9 ( had some SERIOUS hills to climb 18 degrees +...crazy fun and challenging the view 360 at the top was spectacular...you’d better trust your vehicle to take em! Then took LP 10 (basically just a wash) to LP 8 back out (you’re gonna get pin stripes on this one, slow tight and twisty...The AZ terrain is sooo beautiful!!! Based on the earlier reviews, I thought this was going to be mild...LP 9 was straight up wicked!!! The hills, the hills..steep long climbs...might be the most challenging trail I’ve done yet...I’d call it moderate ++

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail. We were in a lifted Wrangler JL on 37’s. Would not attempt in a stock off road vehicle without spotter and experience. Upsides: challenging terrain with spots that are more on the difficult side than moderate, great scenery, trail well marked, wild burros, and trail in good shape. Downsides: part of the loop is very narrow so expect major pin stripes, although well marked even with a guidebook it’s easy to miss a turn, definitely have a paper map or book there is no service, track your miles carefully in case you have to back track, and there can be a lot of side by side and motorcycle traffic so be aware on the trail. There are not many pull outs in spots.

We did this trail in a 4Runner with a 3.5” lift, Fox suspension, OME rear springs and a supercharger. We needed all the things! I know the rating says “Moderate” and most of it was. But there were 2 spots that I call “V” dips in the road that were extremely difficult. We scrapped the front winch bumper on the down entry and scrapped the rear bumper on the uphill exit. The road is extremely “moguled” from all the side by sides. It was doable with our setup but a lift is definitely a necessity. The views were amazing and I highly recommend the trail but it’s not for the faint of heart or an inexperienced driver.

ohv/off road driving

This has quickly become our favorite off roading so far in the area. Mix of everything with nice camping area!

closed