Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail

Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tempe, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 918 feet Route Type: Loop

There are many trails in this area that are worthy of more hiking. The Hidden Valley loop offers interesting tunnels, dry waterfalls, and a squeeze through Fat Man's pass. While it might be tempting, it is not recommended to hike off trail in this area as it is very difficult to make any progress and easy to lose sight of the trail. Given the close proximity with Phoenix, you should be ready to share this trail with many others, especially on nice winter weekends. Bring your camera as there are many opportunities for great photos.

Pretty nice

Nice evening hike with Guadalupe. We started around 5pm & made the lasso loop through Hidden Valley. Some ominous clouds moved in for the second half of the hike. We were treated to some heat lightning off in the distance & a spectacular sunset. Solid evening in south mountain.

Fairly steep climb for the first mile to start the hike. But the views on the loop at the top are worth it. Some climbing is needed. Definitely a tight squeeze at fat man’s pass. Some of the rocks are slick. Be careful.

Great trail just outside Phoenix. Came here for a short hike while staying downtown and it's well worth the 20 min drive. Great views of the skyline and other ranges.

This trail had lots of diverse wildlife, including hummingbirds, prairie dog, velvet ant, zebra-tailed lizard and a black-tailed rattlesnake!

Saw the most Incredible sunrise over the valley. Well marked trail - can’t wait to do this again!

Nice trail! Bring lots of water!

Started the trail a little before 6am and there were a few parking spots left at the trailhead. Once you get to Hidden Valley Trail (around the Hidden Valley Tunnel area) stop and spend some time enjoying the wildlife. I stopped on a rock and had 3 hummingbirds flying around me while watching a chipmunk in the distance. Saw many lizards while exploring the rocks and even saw a large Common chuckwalla with a nice orange/red tail. Enjoy!

This trail has never disappointed. Sure, it was warm this morning, but that didn't deter our little group. Hard to find another trail with so many features: plenty of elevation, good distance - only takes 1.5 - 2 hours, The Tunnel, Fat Man's Pass, Hidden Valley itself, great views of the city below. For first-time hikers, I'd recommend going with someone who's been before, as there are a few turns that are not entirely clear.

Really fun! Great views. Moderate hiking trail with some areas where you have to climb around the loop. Thank God I had this app to guide us as the visible trail disappears around the loop. There should be more signs as we had to climb rocks. Overall awesome. Would do it again.

As always, I love Mormon Loop! This time, I took the trail to Hidden Valley Tunnel and Fat Man's Pass. I love the rock formations and foliage! There are a couple of parts that were overgrown near the tunnel, but I was able to find my way ;) During this time of year, I recommend starting a hike no later than 6am. Any later and you'll have the AZ sun in your face, and the heat will be uncomfortably hot. When I started my hike, it was 83 degrees at 6am. When I finished at 8am, it was 86 degrees. Overall, I highly recommend this trail. :)

I’ve done this trail twice now and both times have been in the evening. Maybe encountered 5-10 people total. The sunset is BEAUTIFUL overlooking Phoenix. “Moderate” is a good description as it’s an uphill hike in the beginning that tends to get me out of breath. The trail levels off a bit eventually. Beware of rattlesnakes!!! I encountered my first one when it began to get dark, it was dead center in the middle of the trail. I’m glad I brought a flashlight with me or else I would’ve stepped on it

Watch out for the wild rabid dogs. Also the killer bees...