Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail

Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tempe, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mormon Trail to Hidden Valley is great for hiking and normally takes 2-4 hours. There are many trails in this area, worthy of more hiking. The Hidden Valley loop offers interesting tunnels, dry waterfalls, and a cool squeeze through Fat Man's pass. While it might be tempting, it is not recommended to hike off trail in this area is it is very difficult to make any progress and easy to lose sight of the trail. Given the close proximity with Phoenix, you should be ready to share this trail with many others, especially on nice winter weekends. Bring your camera as there are many opportunities for great photos.

Great trail to take the pup on!

Great trail! It's probably best to go in the winter but I went in the summer and it wasn't too bad (bring lots of water though!) I recommend going early in the morning otherwise you will lose the little shade there is on the traim. The tunnel is awesome and I love the saguaro like usual. Definitely a beginner's hike and can be done in a couple hours even with some breaks.

I’m an avid hiker so I found this trail very easy. It’s a good workout and has some great views of downtown.

Great Hike beginning at 5:00 am in time for the sunrise! It was beautiful and a great first mile plus incline workout...Moderate Hike with awesome rock formations. No washrooms on site, but plenty of parking, Water and Picnic Tables.

This is my favorite trl in the Valley to take friends and guests too. Not too difficult. Cool sights at the top. Not too long. I am a fan.

It’s easy to get turned around once you are at the top. I’d suggest taking the alltrl app to make sure you don’t end up on the National trl.

Great and challenging trail that has a bit of scrambling and varied terrain. The first mile definitely gets your heart pumping and legs burning. Once you make the summit, it smooths out and gives you a break. I don't recommend doing it in 101F heat in the middle of the afternoon but that was my only window to hike. Very few shady areas.....VERY few. Sunscreen, hat and water are necessities. I went through 100oz of water and ran out with about 1/2 mile to go. I'm a 53yo Male who is a bit out of shape and needs to drop 20lbs and would do it again in a heartbeat. Do not underestimate the exposure to the sun.....it was brutal towards the end. I logged 4.9 miles in 2.5 hours. Had it been cooler, could have shaved 30-45 minutes off of that. Trekking poles helped on way down but could have done without them. Primarily took them in case of snakes but didn't see any.

Hidden valley at the end makes the whole thing worth it

This was a really nice trail for a beginner like me, amazing view of Tempe and if you wake up early enough you can watch the sun rise

great view of the city plus lots of rocks for the kids to climb.

my second hike using alltrails, has a little learning curve. good overall description. Nice walk. the climb was a challenge.

Cool trail but very easy to get lost There are no markings or cairns. I’m pretty sure we did get lost but somehow found our way back to National Trail thanks to GPS after climbing over and under various rocks The hidden valley feels like another world. The trek up Mormon trail to get there was quite the climb

Very special trail.

Gorgeous views with rock scrambling! This trail was unlike any other I’ve done with the valley. Lots of boulders around, and some that you have to climb over to stay on the trail. Certain parts of the trail are not clearly marked, so use the app map to stay on track. Cool photo opps on this one and nice views of the city! Downtown Phoenix is visible in the distance, and all in all a great workout that isn’t too strenuous.

Very scenic climb near the city. Challenging for people not used to the heat. Neat lizards and cactuses abound, as well as interesting rock formations.

Fun trail liked a lot about it - loved Fat Man's Pass. City view. Went on a weekday afternoon and it wasn't too busy. Small lot, backup parking on side roads. No restroom or fountain at trail head. Great urban trail - Hidden Valley makes you forget you're in the city for minute but little amounts of graffiti here and there pull you back to reality.

Annual hike when visiting the area. My kids and I love Hidden Valley and Fat Man’s Pass. Not terribly technical, but a good workout and great views of Phoenix.

I really like this trail. It has difficult parts but then theres flat areas so you can catch your breath. I can go up and come back down in an hour and a half maybe 2 hours if Im taking my time. Beautiful scenery, you go into the mountain and forget the rest of the world for a moment. I haven't done the loop just yet but Ive made it to the top and it is STUNNING!

Four of us late 50s and early 60s years of age hike this trail and loop! Loved the challenge of going straight up at the beginning and then the loop of Fat Mans Pass and the tunnels and rock formations! Would recommend plenty of water on this hike and stop when you need! Mostly enjoy the diversity of this hike!!

I love this trail and try to go with my dogs at least once a week. It goes back and forth between slightly steep inclines and level ground. For an inexperienced hiker, you may need to take a few breaks before reaching the top but it is definitely worth it. I usually am able to finish the entire hike in about 45-60 minutes if I am not rushing but going at a steady pace. I also will usually end right before the loop because its mostly flat and I don't feel as though it adds too much to my overall workout. With that being said, its definitely worth doing the loop at least once because there are a few cool rock formations to see. If you decide to complete the loop I recommend paying attention as its not incredibly well marked.

We did this today, but via National Trail at Buena Vista Lot, and it was great. Made it to Fat Man’s pass and turned around.

Fun hike! Get there early if going on the weekend because it gets busy.

Excellent hike and weather today! Highly recommend!!!

Really liked this one. Close to town with a beautiful view of the city. Some tight rocks go thru. In a couple of places it might seem like you lost the trail but sure enough you have to go thru rocks in very tight spaces. It’s not hard, just fun. Not for big people maybe.

Easy. No tennis shoes. Recommend hiking shoes or boots.
This trail is all about the rocks.
Lots of fun. Good workout.

wonderful hike. It's perfect for a great workout and vitamin D

Moderate hike with nice views

Beautiful trail! There is a good balance of rocky areas to flatter surfaces. There is a amazing tunnel and fat mans pass is really cool I think you can only fit through there if your a child but you can still get through it by sliding down the rock. Sliding down the rock is really fun just be careful not to hit your head!

I come here to trail run. Its a fun place and the rocks are nice to eat a quick snack and hangout!

Great trail. Beautiful views

Amazing sunsets, good climb but nothing too difficult.