Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail

Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tempe, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mormon Trail to Hidden Valley is great for hiking and normally takes 2-4 hours. There are many trails in this area, worthy of more hiking. The Hidden Valley loop offers interesting tunnels, dry waterfalls, and a cool squeeze through Fat Man's pass. While it might be tempting, it is not recommended to hike off trail in this area is it is very difficult to make any progress and easy to lose sight of the trail. Given the close proximity with Phoenix, you should be ready to share this trail with many others, especially on nice winter weekends. Bring your camera as there are many opportunities for great photos.

Arrived around 9:00am on a Sunday in January. Parking lot was full and people were parking on neighborhood streets (but we somehow got a spot in the lot!) About 60 degrees- perfect temp, with a light breeze. First mile of Mormon trail is very steep and rocky. Rest of the trail is not as bad, but there are still several parts where you need to scale rocks to get by. Fat Mans pass was fun! And the tunnel near the end of The Hidden trail was pretty cool. My 14 year old son and friend took many side trails over rocky formations.

Advice: get there around 8:00am. Bring water and some snacks. We did the whole loop in about 2.5 hours and that was with a pretty long snack break at the fat mans pass.

Had a great time hiking this trail. I‎t was heavily trafficked during our descent around 1:00pm, but not overwhelming. Easy hiking the entire way, with descent views. Looks like a lot of trails lead to this summit... would do I‎t again and continue onto other trails (I’m guessing National).

Great hike on South Mountain! I have wanted to do this for a while and finally managed to come here. I believe it's one of the more popular trails here, so be ready for crowds. I came early enough to find good parking and have Hidden Valley almost all to myself, but it was getting very crowded as I was finishing my hike. The smog took away from the experience as well. Otherwise, I loved it! The rock formations were awesome and I loved squeezing between the rocks! Very fun!

Loved it. Great for the kids.

One of my favorite hikes to travel alone in Phoenix! Definitely a fun one if you like a more interesting course such as rock tunnels, tight squeezes and lots of rock formations to climb to the top of and enjoy the view. It’s not difficult.

Great trail with some cool views. The trail is pretty challenging in the beginning, but the loop is worth it.

Fat Mans Pass was an added bonus to this hike!

Great trail.

Gorgeous views and beautiful rock formations!

Lots and lots of fun! Cool rocks to climb up on to and a nice workout in the beginning. Bring snacks to have a picnic near fat mans pass!

A good, short and easy hike with cool rock formations.

better bring a camera ,awesome pics to take

It’s a decent hike, safe and fun for kids. You’ll crouch and slide a bit between the dry river and Mormon Loop. There are neat spots to take pictures. This trail stays pretty busy during the day.

Hidden Valley and Fatman’s Pass are a hoot. Be prepared for a tight squeeze through Fatman’s Pass as well as some rock scrambling and sliding down boulders on your backside which is the safest way to traverse some of those steeper areas. Beautiful and fun.

Def my favorite.

Fun trail. Took me about 1.5hr moving quickly but had a couple stops for water and photos.

If you start your hike early, it is mostly shaded. The views are beautiful!

I did this hike with my 8 year old son and we had lots of fun. The hike up the mountain is steep but once you get past that it’s great! We will do this again!