Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail

Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tempe, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mormon Trail to Hidden Valley is great for hiking and normally takes 2-4 hours. There are many trails in this area, worthy of more hiking. The Hidden Valley loop offers interesting tunnels, dry waterfalls, and a cool squeeze through Fat Man's pass. While it might be tempting, it is not recommended to hike off trail in this area is it is very difficult to make any progress and easy to lose sight of the trail. Given the close proximity with Phoenix, you should be ready to share this trail with many others, especially on nice winter weekends. Bring your camera as there are many opportunities for great photos.

Great trail. Beautiful views

Amazing sunsets, good climb but nothing too difficult.

The trail was ambiguous at some points but very scenic with interesting rock formations and moderate traffic. Great photo oops at Fat Man’s Pass!

Gorgeous sunset hike! My advice would be to wear good shoes; you’re Nike Frees aren’t going to cut it on this one. Especially with the rock scrambling. Not a terribly difficult hike, just right. The view overlooking the city at night is to die for. Note to self: bring head lamps for sunset/night hikes.

Rocky at some parts, sandy at others but overall absolute quality trail

Very easy and rewarding! Good spot to relax for an hour and eat lunch. Best time to go is after rainfall to see small waterfall and water pool. Good climbing for kids and lots of areas for photos. One of my favorites! I recommend it for children and fit elderly depending on how mobile they are.

Very nice mountain and nice hike good for everyone.

The trail itself is okay, nothing spectacular, but hiking through Hidden Valley and passing through Fat Man's Pass and the Natural Tunnel is pretty cool which makes the rest of the boring hike well worth it. This is my favorite local trail.

This was a great trail except for the fact that we did not do Fat Mans Pass first and we could not find the trail after we went through the tunnel. It was a difficult scramble for us up the slippery rocks after the tunnel and we almost gave up on ever finding the trail. We did not understand why the signage stopped after the tunnel as well, because up to this point the signs had been very clear and easy to follow. Now I see that the Hidden Valley Loop to Fat Mans Pass is an undesignated trail, so I guess that explains a lot. So my advice is to go first to Fat Mans Pass (which is really cool) and then on to the tunnel.

A fun hike to do with friends, family, dogs, or solo. It is easy, yet can offer a bit of a rewarding challenge for those who are just getting into hiking.

So much more than I was expecting! Challenging but not so hard that you’re not enjoying the climb!

Climbing part is definitely during the first part of the amazing hike. Next time, I will probably cut out that loop at the end of the Mormon trail. Too much actual ROCK climbing and hard to find the trail on the loop. Lots of dogs on the track + a fair amount of people that should probably exercise to work up to this level.

Best hike yet! There is some minor rock climbing involved in this loop, but I just picked up the pup and crawled on up. We will be back again! :)

My boyfriend and I decided to check out this trail last weekend and found that it's a pretty popular hiking trail, but for good reasons...it's slightly challenging and has beautiful scenery! The first half of the trail is steep, so make sure you bring plenty of water and snacks. The parking lot can be slightly crowded with families and other hikers heading up on the weekend, so be sure you get there early in the morning to find parking in the local neighborhood and avoid a little chaos. The trail itself is beautiful, a little sunny in some spots and shaded enough to see different rock formations and all of Phoenix on the way up. The loop around was a great reward after hiking up and taking a few breaks. Only con- LOTS of dog poop scattered along the trail- as this is a dog friendly hike. Be sure to watch your step for loose rocks and poop!

1st mile is a bit steep.
It's a fun hike, definitely would go again.

Arrived around 9:00am on a Sunday in January. Parking lot was full and people were parking on neighborhood streets (but we somehow got a spot in the lot!) About 60 degrees- perfect temp, with a light breeze. First mile of Mormon trail is very steep and rocky. Rest of the trail is not as bad, but there are still several parts where you need to scale rocks to get by. Fat Mans pass was fun! And the tunnel near the end of The Hidden trail was pretty cool. My 14 year old son and friend took many side trails over rocky formations.

Advice: get there around 8:00am. Bring water and some snacks. We did the whole loop in about 2.5 hours and that was with a pretty long snack break at the fat mans pass.

Had a great time hiking this trail. I‎t was heavily trafficked during our descent around 1:00pm, but not overwhelming. Easy hiking the entire way, with descent views. Looks like a lot of trails lead to this summit... would do I‎t again and continue onto other trails (I’m guessing National).

Great hike on South Mountain! I have wanted to do this for a while and finally managed to come here. I believe it's one of the more popular trails here, so be ready for crowds. I came early enough to find good parking and have Hidden Valley almost all to myself, but it was getting very crowded as I was finishing my hike. The smog took away from the experience as well. Otherwise, I loved it! The rock formations were awesome and I loved squeezing between the rocks! Very fun!

Loved it. Great for the kids.