Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail

Hidden Valley Trail Via Mormon Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tempe, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mormon Trail to Hidden Valley is great for hiking and normally takes 2-4 hours. There are many trails in this area, worthy of more hiking. The Hidden Valley loop offers interesting tunnels, dry waterfalls, and a cool squeeze through Fat Man's pass. While it might be tempting, it is not recommended to hike off trail in this area is it is very difficult to make any progress and easy to lose sight of the trail. Given the close proximity with Phoenix, you should be ready to share this trail with many others, especially on nice winter weekends. Bring your camera as there are many opportunities for great photos.

Cool trail but very easy to get lost There are no markings or cairns. I’m pretty sure we did get lost but somehow found our way back to National Trail thanks to GPS after climbing over and under various rocks The hidden valley feels like another world. The trek up Mormon trail to get there was quite the climb

Very special trail.

Gorgeous views with rock scrambling! This trail was unlike any other I’ve done with the valley. Lots of boulders around, and some that you have to climb over to stay on the trail. Certain parts of the trail are not clearly marked, so use the app map to stay on track. Cool photo opps on this one and nice views of the city! Downtown Phoenix is visible in the distance, and all in all a great workout that isn’t too strenuous.

Very scenic climb near the city. Challenging for people not used to the heat. Neat lizards and cactuses abound, as well as interesting rock formations.

Fun trail liked a lot about it - loved Fat Man's Pass. City view. Went on a weekday afternoon and it wasn't too busy. Small lot, backup parking on side roads. No restroom or fountain at trail head. Great urban trail - Hidden Valley makes you forget you're in the city for minute but little amounts of graffiti here and there pull you back to reality.

Annual hike when visiting the area. My kids and I love Hidden Valley and Fat Man’s Pass. Not terribly technical, but a good workout and great views of Phoenix.

I really like this trail. It has difficult parts but then theres flat areas so you can catch your breath. I can go up and come back down in an hour and a half maybe 2 hours if Im taking my time. Beautiful scenery, you go into the mountain and forget the rest of the world for a moment. I haven't done the loop just yet but Ive made it to the top and it is STUNNING!

Four of us late 50s and early 60s years of age hike this trail and loop! Loved the challenge of going straight up at the beginning and then the loop of Fat Mans Pass and the tunnels and rock formations! Would recommend plenty of water on this hike and stop when you need! Mostly enjoy the diversity of this hike!!

I love this trail and try to go with my dogs at least once a week. It goes back and forth between slightly steep inclines and level ground. For an inexperienced hiker, you may need to take a few breaks before reaching the top but it is definitely worth it. I usually am able to finish the entire hike in about 45-60 minutes if I am not rushing but going at a steady pace. I also will usually end right before the loop because its mostly flat and I don't feel as though it adds too much to my overall workout. With that being said, its definitely worth doing the loop at least once because there are a few cool rock formations to see. If you decide to complete the loop I recommend paying attention as its not incredibly well marked.

We did this today, but via National Trail at Buena Vista Lot, and it was great. Made it to Fat Man’s pass and turned around.

Fun hike! Get there early if going on the weekend because it gets busy.

Excellent hike and weather today! Highly recommend!!!

Really liked this one. Close to town with a beautiful view of the city. Some tight rocks go thru. In a couple of places it might seem like you lost the trail but sure enough you have to go thru rocks in very tight spaces. It’s not hard, just fun. Not for big people maybe.

Easy. No tennis shoes. Recommend hiking shoes or boots.
This trail is all about the rocks.
Lots of fun. Good workout.

wonderful hike. It's perfect for a great workout and vitamin D

Moderate hike with nice views

Beautiful trail! There is a good balance of rocky areas to flatter surfaces. There is a amazing tunnel and fat mans pass is really cool I think you can only fit through there if your a child but you can still get through it by sliding down the rock. Sliding down the rock is really fun just be careful not to hit your head!

I come here to trail run. Its a fun place and the rocks are nice to eat a quick snack and hangout!

Great trail. Beautiful views

Amazing sunsets, good climb but nothing too difficult.

The trail was ambiguous at some points but very scenic with interesting rock formations and moderate traffic. Great photo oops at Fat Man’s Pass!

Gorgeous sunset hike! My advice would be to wear good shoes; you’re Nike Frees aren’t going to cut it on this one. Especially with the rock scrambling. Not a terribly difficult hike, just right. The view overlooking the city at night is to die for. Note to self: bring head lamps for sunset/night hikes.

Rocky at some parts, sandy at others but overall absolute quality trail

Very easy and rewarding! Good spot to relax for an hour and eat lunch. Best time to go is after rainfall to see small waterfall and water pool. Good climbing for kids and lots of areas for photos. One of my favorites! I recommend it for children and fit elderly depending on how mobile they are.

Very nice mountain and nice hike good for everyone.

The trail itself is okay, nothing spectacular, but hiking through Hidden Valley and passing through Fat Man's Pass and the Natural Tunnel is pretty cool which makes the rest of the boring hike well worth it. This is my favorite local trail.

This was a great trail except for the fact that we did not do Fat Mans Pass first and we could not find the trail after we went through the tunnel. It was a difficult scramble for us up the slippery rocks after the tunnel and we almost gave up on ever finding the trail. We did not understand why the signage stopped after the tunnel as well, because up to this point the signs had been very clear and easy to follow. Now I see that the Hidden Valley Loop to Fat Mans Pass is an undesignated trail, so I guess that explains a lot. So my advice is to go first to Fat Mans Pass (which is really cool) and then on to the tunnel.

A fun hike to do with friends, family, dogs, or solo. It is easy, yet can offer a bit of a rewarding challenge for those who are just getting into hiking.

So much more than I was expecting! Challenging but not so hard that you’re not enjoying the climb!