Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hidden Valley from Buena Vista Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(204)
South Mountain Preserve

Hidden Valley from Buena Vista Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is best used from September until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 570 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a nice easy hike not very long but a lot of great views all they there and back. You Start at the top of Buena Vista Outlook. You have great views of Phoenix and Tempe.

This is a beautiful hike that offers a lot of different scenic views. Secret caves, mountains, rock climbing, and much more! We went on Superbowl Sunday, so the trail was fairly quiet. I took my seven year old and she loved it, however, she did need her dad to put her on his shoulders for a bit..so if you're bringing little ones, be sure to allot for enough rest times. With her, it took us about 3.5 to 4 hours to complete, but we stopped a lot! Adults would be able to finish much quicker than that! Downside is just parking (tiny lot at trailhead). Mountain bikers are also very prevalent, however, everyone we encountered was polite!

Very pretty

I took this trail to find fatmans pass. Worth the trip! Lots of views along the way. Parking is limited though and several cars did have tickets.

Fun hike, lots of fantastic rock formations to scramble on! Mid week, afternoon, in December was a perfect time to go. Few people, sunny, and 70 degrees.

Just to the lookout, beautiful!

Tue Apr 23 2019

Amazing hike. Easy to get to, moderate with a few scrambles to keep it interesting. Feels like going back in time! Saw two snakes on the trail, give them their space. I yelled and in both cases they slithered back where they came from. They IMMEDIATELY DISAPPEAR in the brush so STAY ON THE TRAIL because you would never see them. We went early (6am) but it was getting crowded by the time we were heading back. Definitely recommend!

Mon Apr 08 2019

Sun Feb 17 2019

easy trail to get to fat mans pass and natural tunnel. Both are amazing to visit!

Sun Apr 16 2017

This was my first hike ever; a friend of mine wanted to introduce me to Fatman's Pass, which is about 2 miles (1.8 to be exact) into the hike. It was a beautiful mountain filled with breathtaking scenery, voluptuous rock formations, and we even ran into some wildlife along the way (Rattlesnakes, Quail, and Chuckwalla Lizards). The trail is well marked and moderately trafficked, especially on weekends. 10/10 would recommend. Just make sure you goto the bathroom at Dobbin's lookout before you get there, because there isn't a bathroom.

Sun Jan 15 2017

I didn't take this exact route, but the area was gorgeous. The views and rocks that I had to scramble down really got my blood pumping.

Sun Jan 15 2017

Carol Wedin It was a great hike...we had done it at least 6 years ago or more but forgotten how beautiful it was. Nice to do on a cool day since it is pretty much in the open. Love Fatman's Pass and Hidden Valley and all the beautiful huge boulders along the way.

Mon Mar 28 2016

Great variation of scenery, with spectacular views of the valley.

Mon Mar 14 2016

First, if this is your first time like it was for me, go slowly on the road to the trail head because there are lots of cyclists and joggers. You start on National Trail. About .3 miles in there was a marker on the ground at a crossroads but I kept going straight and that was the right choice. It wasn't busy (maybe because it's a weekday) and I went early enough that it wasn't hot. Nice view and scenery.

Mon Jan 18 2016

Awesome kids loved it! Free park awesome views n things to see n do!

Mon Nov 18 2013

Took my mother on the trail today. Now that the weather is good, this place is busy. Bikers and hikers are everywhere, but the trail is beautiful.

Wed Nov 06 2013

First, I love hidden valley. Been there many of times. Enter at Central at the main entrance. Follow it all the way up to Buena Vista lookout. Just look for the TV Antennas. You'll take National trail to hidden valley. you can loop either direction. It a great trail. On this day, actually found a lost hiker and helped her out and rescued her. How do people hike South Mountain without water?

Thu Aug 01 2013

It was a beautiful morning for a hike. We had a good rain a few days before and you can see what a big difference it made. Lot of green and some plants blooming just awesome. I seen lots of creatures running around even a Speckled Rattlesnake sun bathing.