Hermit Trail

Hermit Trail is a 15.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

My group of 3 hiked to Hermit Creek in April and camped for two nights before returning. The creek is lovely and we enjoyed lunching by the rapids. The campground is basic, with two composting toilets and a bar for hanging packs. You can quickly access the creek below for water; be sure to use a filter. Hermit Trail is just as tough as advertised. We knew it would be steep and rough. We didn’t expect the areas that felt quite dangerous, as we tried to get over slide areas or sections that has mostly loose rock on the incline. If you are afraid of heights, this isn’t a trail for you. The views are stunning, however, and there is little traffic on the trail. I’m glad I did it, but won’t repeat this adventure.

prepare yourself for a treat. prepare yourself for a challenge. what an awesome trail all around.

Great trail with no crowds.

Stunning views!

We did it in a day hike in november so temperature were OK. The last part in the canyon following the river needs some trail finding but you won't get lost since it is narrow. It will however take a little longer to do that last mile than your normal pace. Otherwise the trail is well marked and easy to follow. The slopes are not so steep. The last part near the river is awesome with very varied rocks and crystal. I absolutely recommend this hike.

Harder than I was ready for but a great goal for me just to finish.

Last day of the trip. Did I mention spectacular views already? Just awesome. Got a little chilly as we neared the top. Just a beautiful, wonderful trip!!

Light hiking for day number 4. Still spectacular views of the moon and the opportunity to walk in and near the creeks and "play" in the creek.

We actually started this day at Monument creek and went to the Colorado River at Hermit Creek. There was almost a full moon. The views of the moon coming over the mountains, with the sun behind, still illuminating the mountains the moon was rising over was absolutely breathtaking!! Saw some rafters too. That's the next trip!!

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

It's the Grand Canyon. Just make sure you bring a water filter. Climbing out is a stair stepping beast. Only saw 2 other hikers the 3 days in the canyon (they helped us out with their water filter). Other than my bad planning it was awesome.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Hiked with to Santa Marie Spring and Dripping Spring. Definitely a challenging hike due to the climb out. Amazing views, take your time and enjoy. It took my son and I 5 hours.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Not an easy trail but an incredible hike. Bring plenty of water, trail food, and sunscreen. The views were awesome the entire time.

Monday, April 24, 2017

I like solitude on my hikes. This trail is so awesome. It's long, hard, dry and very steep in some places. The perfect south rim hike.

Have lunch at Hermit Rapid. You'll never forget it

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Did this trail this week as the first visit to GC with my brother. Went down to hermit rapids to camp and came back the next night. Amazing views, rewarding and challenging, can't see it getting much better in the GC! We both used about 5L of water/Gatorade each way and it was just right for us, don't underestimate the water consumption!

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

After you hiked popular but crowded BA and SK trails, you ought to yourself for hiking this trail. It is very quite and you will rarely come cross other hikers beyond Santa Maria Springs rest house (about 2.3 miles from TH).

It is very challenging but rewards great and I highly recommend this trail.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

My knees still hurt just thinking about it. The cathedral stairs and sharp drops are challenging yet give you remarkable views. It is well worth if you can handle it.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

This hike is pretty tough. Not a maintained trail by the park service and there are several areas where there are rock falls that have to be picked thru. By the time we got to the tonto cutoff, we were pretty beat. Another mile or so to the campground and was glad to have the pack off. Spent two nights and the day off we had was spent hiking down to the river to see Hermit rapids. Lots of history with this trail and area of the canyon, and with most of the canyon hikes I've done, I am not interested in repeating them. Once is enough for me. These are tough hikes, no way around it. It certainly sees less people that's one thing.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Amazing hike in on Hermit, two nights at Hermit Creek, then out Hermit. 6 hours in 6.5 hours out. My family of 5 all felt accomplished and sore afterwards. Will be hard to top this one.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

This trail is great. It's a very different view of the canyon than what most will get at south kaibab or BA. Definitely recommended. Not always well maintained. Very rocky. Stable water sources.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Super famous trail. I was by myself with no plans of backpacking, so I just went a few miles down. Great views, lots of elevation change. It's a great time and a great place t experience the canyon.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great trail if you are looking for a challenge. Very steep in sections, especially the 2 miles from the trailhead and the cathedral stair. The ruggedness of the trail WILL slow you down, so do not expect to keep your normal hiking pace. Plan ahead and start early give yourself plenty of time. The scenery is breathtaking and it is one of the most stunning and awe inspiring hikes I have done.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

I hiked the hermit down in to monument creek via the tonto trail, then to Indian Gardens, then back up the bright angel trail in the spring of 2014. epic hike. hermit can be technical as it is generally not maintained by the park.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Going down is almost worse than climbing out. Recommend your pack be 30lbs or lighter if possible, mine was 40lbs with water. The last 2.2 miles from Santa Maria Spring to the rim are pretty steep and took me almost as much time as the 6+ miles from Hermit Creek camp.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My son and hiked down the Hermit Trail as part of a 26-mile loop including Tonto and Boucher trails. The trailhead is located at the far end of the scenic drive on the South Rim. It is accessible only by the tour buses *except* if you have a backcountry permit for this area you receive the gate code and can drive your vehicle to the parking area at the trailhead.

A popular day hike is down Hermit to Santa Maria Spring, about 5 miles round trip. Don't let that mileage fool you, this is not a simple hike. It is very steep in places, but very well maintained and heavily traveled. Traffic thins out significantly after Santa Maria Spring for the remaining 2+ miles to Hermit Camp along Hermit Creek. A permit is required to camp here, and camping is only allowed in the designated camp area. Hermit Creek was flowing strong (March) for ample water collection and there is a composting toilet available here. You can hike 1+ mile down Hermit Creek to the Colorado River (although we did not).

I highly recommend this trail and can't wait to do it again, but it is not simple and you need to be prepared with proper footwear, clothing and hydration. Hiking poles help a lot also. The temperatures will increase as you go down in elevation from the rim, be prepared.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

I have this trail, and variations of it, a total of five times, all when I was in my 20's and 30's. Tough, demanding, and potentially lethal. This should only be done by the experienced and well conditioned hiker.

That being said, I want to do it again . I hope to assemble an experienced group to do this in 2013. Doing another Grand Canyon hike this Fall and finished a 14K peak earlier this week, so I am serious if others wish to participate. Most likely Springtime if logistics work out.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

This was our first trip into the GC and the trail is not to be taken lightly. Going into the canyon is hard, steep and hot so enough water is critical. Coming out is both an emotional and physical challenge. My wife fell on the loose rocks and boulders on the way in and fractured her tailbone - she was life flighted out by helicopter and I completed the hike back out in 6 1/2 hours for the 7 1/2 mile hike. Please be very prepared with the right equipment, enough water and in great physical shape. Otherwise it will not be a fun memory. I am proud to say I did it.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

This was my first hike down into the GC. The trail was difficult in some places and I'll be the first to admit I did not understand what I was getting myself into. Looking back I'm glad I did this trail. I can say that most trails are easy compared to this one.

Some places the trail was difficult to locate other places the hiking was down right mean (think cathedral stairs). Water was scarce to nonexistent before & after the one watering area on the trail. If you drink a lot like I do you need to be prepared for that. But it was the best workout I've ever had.

If you're a first time GC hiker I would not recommend this trail unless you are in excellent shape & have experience hiking difficult trails. Just know that 9 miles in the GC often seems much longer.

Monday, April 16, 2012

This was my introduction to the GCNP. It was raining, I mean flooding, and the Park Service put up the trail closed sign . . . after I was a mile down the trail. I was surprised to see the difficulty rating, until I remember the boulders. It was fun, and the canyon looks much different under rainclouds. I did it again two years later, different weather, but we started late so most was in the dark.

Bring plenty of water.