Hermit Trail is a 15.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 15.4 miles Elevation Gain: 5,144 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Got a question for those who have completed the Hermit recently. I last went down the trail on 1967. (Was a Geology student a5 NAU at the time). Back then, there was the camp dump which contained numerous bottles, cans and a broken down Model T. Additionally, there was an overhang in camp which could be used as a shelter. 2or3 old beds w/springs rested there. Reason I am asking is I am planning to hike the Hermit one more time come come next May. Too old to do it in one day, plan one day down, one to river and a third back up. Having to camp out for 2 nights the overhang would be handier than lacking a tent. Got some pics somewhere, if I can find them will add to post, so all you youngsters can see what was there 50+ years ago.

Amazing hike - recommend to start early, morning light on this hike was amazing. I recorded the hike in 4k - posted on my channel for reference: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFCcB03vM-nepESoPJ4KvA

It was absolutely beautiful the entire time we were there. My boyfriend and I hiked down to the Colorado Rapids and back in two days and one night. It was probably one of the hardest physical challenges I have ever done and I have a pretty active lifestyle. 10/10 amazing experience. I would definitely do it again and recommend to others who want to be challenged. Just remember... hiking down is optional, hiking up is mandatory!

I'll start this review by acknowledging that there were numerous poor decisions by me. Also, the distance is easily 20 miles when accounting for the vertical. I am an experienced, fit 50-year old hiker who soloed this trail. When smart people tell you that the rapids and back should not be attempted on one day, PAY ATTENTION. My hike was a cloudless 100 degree day. Started at 6 AM with 3 liters of water, no means of purification and arrived at the rapids in <4 hours. Feeling self-confident (cocky) at this point. As you hike the Hermit Creek canyon and approach the Colorado, the rushing water gets louder and louder. It's hard to turn back. On the return as I ascended from Hermit Creek, I could feel the altitude changes and heat taking a toll. I ran into two ladies who recognized that I was not right. They provided water and electrolyte tablets. Still 7+ miles to go. Had I not encountered them, this might be an obituary and not a review. Even so, return was 9.5 hours from Colorado River to the trailhead. Caught the last bus. As for the trail, it's spectacular. The views are incredible and the solitude, while almost perilous for me, is as peaceful as you can get. Hermit Creek portion is a real payoff- narrow canyon walls, iridescent granite, cold water... I definitely recommend this trail, but with better preparedness and more realistic expectations.

I adore this trail. It’s both lonely and tough, two of the best qualities in any trail. The hike back up is twice as long and four times as strenuous, because... the Grand Canyon :-)

This trail is a bear. Awesome examples of trail craftsmanship and engineering throughout. The last/first mile is very steep. Bring lots of water!

Steep and secluded just what I like. :)

Fri May 17 2019

Rocky

Sat May 11 2019

Such a great hike . I would definitely recommend heading down to granite rapids to cool off in the water. It’s worth the few extra miles. Not gonna lie though, the distance was hell. Glad I did it but I wouldn’t do it again. Great campsites and amazing views . Definitely being something to hang your packs

Wed May 01 2019

Wonderful trail. I did it as a day hike on 5/1/19. If you do it as a day hike make sure you know the bus schedule. Day hikers can’t park at the trail head so know when the last bus is. Trail is pretty good - maybe not as maintained as bright angel or South K but still pretty good. I only saw a few obvious places to fill water (need to filter) - first is 2ish miles in and and then it was maybe 4ish or more, more miles till there was another obvious place to fill up. If you go from rim to river and back it is 18.2 miles. Ideally you would start early. I started at 10 am - which is not ideal - but I’ve hiked rim to river on other trails before and had a pretty good idea of how long it would take me - but if you haven’t hiked other GC trails be conservative and start early (like 6 am - seriously). Also - as many people mention it is much hotter at the bottom than the top and heat stroke/exhaustion really can sneak up on you. I was lucky today was a relatively cool day for this time of year. Also, I did it on a Wednesday which was nice there really weren’t very many people out on the trail today - especially compared to the most popular trails.

Sun Apr 07 2019

We did this in May of 2013/2014. There is a sign at the top that reads "do not attempt to start this trail after 9:30am" and it MEANS IT! We hike frequently but had a beginner with us who couldn't keep our pace. We also had aiport mishaps so we got on the trail late (8:45am) we planned to start by 6am. We had what i thought was plenty of water.... NOPE. there's only one place to refill and it's 3 miles in. We each had camel back and all ran out. The lower you go the more oven like it gets. All of us had symptoms of heat stroke 2 miles from the creek at the end. Luckily a guide passed us and saw we were out of water so he gave us some.We contemplated laying behind a boulder for shade until the sun went behind the cliffs. Then once he got his group settled he suprised us and came back with 3 camel backs for us which was very generous. It was turning into a very dangerous situation prior to that. Luckily the shadows hit us and we finished just fine. At night the canyon is like a wind tunnel. We hiked on down to the big river and it was so cold. It was like torture bieng so hot and unable to get in the river. but the hike from the creek campsite to the river was great and that water was comfortable. I wore long sleeves and pants and just kept them wet for cool (i sunburn very easily). I missed a spot on my back when we reapplied on the hike out and i still have scars. It was the Hike of a lifetime and we are all proud to say that we hiked it top to bottom. the views were well worth the hike. it really wasnt super steep the entire time just some areas of a lot of stairs and then stretches of nice hikes on a pretty even path. Watch out for rattle snakes we did have to kind of scale the cliffs to avoid one. Couldn't see it but could hear it... did want to take the chance. Overall amazing just plan to get up early so you can beat the heat.

Thu Apr 04 2019

Backpacked to Hermit Creek for a 2 night stay with my sons, age 13 and 10, during the last week of March. I'd backpacked on the Hermit trail before with my wife almost 20 years ago, and it seemed easier this time; probably a combination of being better prepared, and also many of the large rockslides have been cleared, so route finding in places is no longer an issue. It took us about 6 hours to get to Hermit Creek and another 6 to get back to the rim. Going down with a heavy pack can be slow going due to the steepness in places, and caution with footing, so in some ways, the climb back out is easier. The hike was no problem (though not easy) for my 13 year old, and just the right challenge for my 10 year old. If planning to take kids on this trail beyond the recommended dayhikes, I would recommend giving them very little weight to carry, and consider their height along with their physical and mental endurance capabilities, as many of the steps are quite high for smaller kids, and even the relatively level areas have many ups and downs. Don't underestimate how draining the sun and dry air can be either, especially if unaccustomed to the environment.

Thu Mar 28 2019

We hiked Sunday to Monday staying at Hermit Creek Campsite, which requires a permit from the backcountry office. This was an amazing trail and was well worth the effort. The hike down was fairly easy, but just enough to make our body feel worn out. We hiked to the Colorado from camp and that was so beautiful. Hiking out was tough and we had to take many breaks. The hardest part is for sure the last 2 miles. Hike down took us 6.5 hours and the hike out took 8.5 hours and we were moving at a leisure pace

Wed Jan 09 2019

did the trail first weekend of 2019. camped at hermit rapids. close to 11-12 miles each way to the Rapids from the trail we took. Just over 8 to hermit creek per my garmin. great himed. huge snowstorm the night we camped by the river. very challenging hike out through very deep snow. However snow was already melting a couple of miles from reaching the top. Another week or so and trail should be relatively clear of snow as long as more snow doesn't fall

Wed Jan 09 2019

Great trail. Did the section down to Breezy Point late December 2018, no ice in sight. Did this one the day after Grandview, and found it to be slightly less difficult but more varied in view and terrain, and also with more potential stop points early on to take a break. Once you get down the initial descent, the trail is nice and flat up until the Cathedral Stairs, which we voted against descending. Overall, even without going all the way down, the views are stunning, the trail is well-maintained, and the hike is much more off the beaten path than many others (though we still saw about 15-20 people, compared with 2 the day before). Overall, you can’t go wrong with this trail, and the solitude was welcome given the chaos up at the rim!

Sun Dec 30 2018

Tough as it gets. Unforgettable experience.

Sun Sep 30 2018

was doing trail maintenance and got rained out so i didn't do the whole thing. the trail is absolutely beautiful BUT brutal and super hard. if you're going for a more easy hike i do not recommend.

Wed Apr 18 2018

My group of 3 hiked to Hermit Creek in April and camped for two nights before returning. The creek is lovely and we enjoyed lunching by the rapids. The campground is basic, with two composting toilets and a bar for hanging packs. You can quickly access the creek below for water; be sure to use a filter. Hermit Trail is just as tough as advertised. We knew it would be steep and rough. We didn’t expect the areas that felt quite dangerous, as we tried to get over slide areas or sections that has mostly loose rock on the incline. If you are afraid of heights, this isn’t a trail for you. The views are stunning, however, and there is little traffic on the trail. I’m glad I did it, but won’t repeat this adventure.

Sun Apr 08 2018

prepare yourself for a treat. prepare yourself for a challenge. what an awesome trail all around.

Sun Mar 11 2018

Great trail with no crowds.

Fri Jan 26 2018

Stunning views!

Wed Nov 29 2017

We did it in a day hike in november so temperature were OK. The last part in the canyon following the river needs some trail finding but you won't get lost since it is narrow. It will however take a little longer to do that last mile than your normal pace. Otherwise the trail is well marked and easy to follow. The slopes are not so steep. The last part near the river is awesome with very varied rocks and crystal. I absolutely recommend this hike.

Sun Nov 26 2017

Harder than I was ready for but a great goal for me just to finish.

Sat Nov 18 2017

Last day of the trip. Did I mention spectacular views already? Just awesome. Got a little chilly as we neared the top. Just a beautiful, wonderful trip!!

Tue Jun 06 2017

It's the Grand Canyon. Just make sure you bring a water filter. Climbing out is a stair stepping beast. Only saw 2 other hikers the 3 days in the canyon (they helped us out with their water filter). Other than my bad planning it was awesome.