Hermit Trail

Hermit Trail is a 15.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

We did it in a day hike in november so temperature were OK. The last part in the canyon following the river needs some trail finding but you won't get lost since it is narrow. It will however take a little longer to do that last mile than your normal pace. Otherwise the trail is well marked and easy to follow. The slopes are not so steep. The last part near the river is awesome with very varied rocks and crystal. I absolutely recommend this hike.

Harder than I was ready for but a great goal for me just to finish.

Last day of the trip. Did I mention spectacular views already? Just awesome. Got a little chilly as we neared the top. Just a beautiful, wonderful trip!!

Light hiking for day number 4. Still spectacular views of the moon and the opportunity to walk in and near the creeks and "play" in the creek.

We actually started this day at Monument creek and went to the Colorado River at Hermit Creek. There was almost a full moon. The views of the moon coming over the mountains, with the sun behind, still illuminating the mountains the moon was rising over was absolutely breathtaking!! Saw some rafters too. That's the next trip!!

It's the Grand Canyon. Just make sure you bring a water filter. Climbing out is a stair stepping beast. Only saw 2 other hikers the 3 days in the canyon (they helped us out with their water filter). Other than my bad planning it was awesome.

Hiked with to Santa Marie Spring and Dripping Spring. Definitely a challenging hike due to the climb out. Amazing views, take your time and enjoy. It took my son and I 5 hours.

Not an easy trail but an incredible hike. Bring plenty of water, trail food, and sunscreen. The views were awesome the entire time.

I like solitude on my hikes. This trail is so awesome. It's long, hard, dry and very steep in some places. The perfect south rim hike.

Have lunch at Hermit Rapid. You'll never forget it

Did this trail this week as the first visit to GC with my brother. Went down to hermit rapids to camp and came back the next night. Amazing views, rewarding and challenging, can't see it getting much better in the GC! We both used about 5L of water/Gatorade each way and it was just right for us, don't underestimate the water consumption!

After you hiked popular but crowded BA and SK trails, you ought to yourself for hiking this trail. It is very quite and you will rarely come cross other hikers beyond Santa Maria Springs rest house (about 2.3 miles from TH).

It is very challenging but rewards great and I highly recommend this trail.

My knees still hurt just thinking about it. The cathedral stairs and sharp drops are challenging yet give you remarkable views. It is well worth if you can handle it.

This hike is pretty tough. Not a maintained trail by the park service and there are several areas where there are rock falls that have to be picked thru. By the time we got to the tonto cutoff, we were pretty beat. Another mile or so to the campground and was glad to have the pack off. Spent two nights and the day off we had was spent hiking down to the river to see Hermit rapids. Lots of history with this trail and area of the canyon, and with most of the canyon hikes I've done, I am not interested in repeating them. Once is enough for me. These are tough hikes, no way around it. It certainly sees less people that's one thing.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Amazing hike in on Hermit, two nights at Hermit Creek, then out Hermit. 6 hours in 6.5 hours out. My family of 5 all felt accomplished and sore afterwards. Will be hard to top this one.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

This trail is great. It's a very different view of the canyon than what most will get at south kaibab or BA. Definitely recommended. Not always well maintained. Very rocky. Stable water sources.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Super famous trail. I was by myself with no plans of backpacking, so I just went a few miles down. Great views, lots of elevation change. It's a great time and a great place t experience the canyon.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great trail if you are looking for a challenge. Very steep in sections, especially the 2 miles from the trailhead and the cathedral stair. The ruggedness of the trail WILL slow you down, so do not expect to keep your normal hiking pace. Plan ahead and start early give yourself plenty of time. The scenery is breathtaking and it is one of the most stunning and awe inspiring hikes I have done.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

I hiked the hermit down in to monument creek via the tonto trail, then to Indian Gardens, then back up the bright angel trail in the spring of 2014. epic hike. hermit can be technical as it is generally not maintained by the park.