Heart Trail

Heart Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: The best access to the Heart Trail, would be to begin at the Sandy Seep trailhead. This is approximately 1.5 miles north of the Peaks Ranger Station on Highway 89, just past Elden Pueblo, on the west side of the highway. The trail is within the incorporated boundaries of Flagstaff, and can be reached by the Fatman Loop Trail and the Little Elden Trail. Equestrian parking is limited, but additional equestrian parking is located at the trailhead west of the Little Elden Spring horse camp on FR 556.

This a good hike. The Elden Lookout portion is by far the most difficult portion. I love the Sunset trail (catwalk) part. Beautiful views on both sides. The Heart trail down is pretty loose and it was wet when I did it but didn't have any trouble. It's also very exposed, only some scrub oak. There are a bunch of forks near the bottom (Sandy seep/Christmas tree area) but the map was good in guiding. Didn't have any trouble connecting to Fatman's and getting to the parking lot. I really liked it.

I began hiking at the Sandy Seep trailhead (which is about a half mile past (North of) Townsend-Winona on the left side, Forest Road 9139). Heart Trail basically picks up where Sandy Seep ends. It is a beautiful trail in the basin behind Mt. Elden. As you hike a spine you can see some other-worldly red rock spires/cliffs on your right and the top of Mt. Elden on your left (as noted by the lookout tower and electrical towers). This trail is moderate until it hits the switchbacks and then gets quite steep. The views of East Flagstaff are amazing and there is fairly good shade provided by the trees. I did not complete this hike to where it meets Sunset Trail at the top of Elden, but rather turned around at one of the saddles. Next time I'll make it to the top when I have more light. Highly recommended trail.

Went March 10th via Christmas Tree trail and up through Heart then Sunset then down Elden. Heart and Sunset had lots of snow still with sheer drop offs. Did not bring my micro spikes so the snow made it interesting.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Bills review lays this out perfectly, the switchbacks if you go the entire way are a bit brutal in direct sunlight above 75 degrees. Bring water if you are doing the loop Bill described or do it outside of sunny and hot weather :)

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Scenic. Saw a bunch of yellow aspens at the top. Heart Trail is is very bad condition though. Still worth it and it will definitely become a regular trail run for me :)

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Friday, August 07, 2015

I did the loop from Fatman's-->Christmas Tree-->Sandy Seep-->Heart-->Sunset-->Elden Lookout. The only strenuous part is Heart Trail as you ascend steep switch backs. Great views from the top. I would have given the hike 3, maybe 3.5, stars except for 1 area on Heart Trail that is not well marked. The TH was clear, but after the first westward portion you come to a clearing and there is not an obvious way to proceed. I wandered for over an hour and actually encountered a portion of Arizona Trail, which threw me off even further. As I was making my return in frustration, I stumbled across the Heart Trail slightly south of the aforementioned clearing. That was the only portion of the loop that wasn't perfectly clear. Trail is narrow is some parts with tall grass and vegetation on both sides. I wished I had been wearing long pants despite it being pretty hot: 82 degrees with little shade.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Heart Trail is a 2.3 mile track that winds its way from Little Elden Trail to Sunset Trail. Following the spines of a series of connected hills, Heart Trail climbs some 1,450 feet en route to Sunset. That and the 11.6% grade make this a challenging route, especially for those not used to hiking at high elevation. I've hiked Heart Trail about 70 times, usually as part of what I like to call, the HELL Hike - Heart, Elden Lookout Loop Hike. This is a 9.2 mile loop, according to the Flagstaff Trails Map.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Saturday, February 09, 2013

Wow! Such a beautiful place..