Heart of Rocks Loop

Heart of Rocks Loop is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Simon, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,614 feet Route Type: Loop

I got there for sunset shots and it was amazing. It was dusk hiking out and dark last 1.5 miles. I came from the visitor center and the trail is easy to navigate at night.

Beautiful hike. Two members of the group got attacked by coatimundi defending their nest so be careful!!! It can get hot with all the rocks absorbing the days heat so go early.

It is an amazing hike. The trail is in good shape. After doing the Heart of Rocks Loop instead of heading back down to the Visitors Center, I took a left and did a bigger loop adding 3 more wonderful miles. It was overcast, the sun popped out numerous times, there was some rain, and the clouds sank down to envelope us. It was spectacular.

This is an awesome hike. Although we had some snow and slush on the trail, it created water features that were stunning. Almost continuously you can hear the babbling of the creek coming down the mountain, many waterfalls, some icy frozen spots that were gradually melting. What we thought might be a tough day for hiking turned out to be absolutely gorgeous!

Despite spending the better part of two days a week prior filming at Chiricahua, I just had to go back for more. This time I spent pretty much all day filming off trail in and around Heart of Rocks, and once again I left with a pit in my stomach lamenting the dozens potential shots I just didn't have time to shoot. Every time you turn your head there's something else. The beauty of this area is astonishing...

Worth every step to the top! You can start this hike at the visitors center (the only option I had during the shutdown). I hiked 12-27-18. You will probably need yaktraks or some type of snow spikes.

Amazing hike today. Due to government shutdown, road is closed just past the campground. Only trailhead access in Chiricahua’s is via lower rhyolite trail at visitor center. There was increasing amounts of snow on the trail starting about a mile in, due to trail on north facing slopes. Some areas 3 inches deep. Trees and branches beautifully coated from recent storm. Nice snow scenes in heart of rocks loop as well. This trail will be slick in next day or two. Hiking poles recommended for anticipated icy conditions.

Beautiful

Excellent trail - not difficult at all beyond the distance. Great scenery at the Heart of Rocks Loop. Pleasant along the way with some open, hilly terrain and other forested terrain. Great place to get away from things and take some pics without pushing oneself too hard with a tough climb.

Great views as you near the loop of Heart of Rocks.

Friday, October 05, 2018

Love it!

Sunday, July 01, 2018

Started at Echo Canyon parking lot and entered to the right into the canyons. Beautiful views. If you're doing the whole loop back to the parking lot, it's not 8 miles like listed, it's between 10-12 miles. For us ended up being 11.8 miles because of the confusion at balancing rock and Heart of rock junction. We did not do the heart of rock loop so keep that in mind for your mileage. The second half of the trail past Balancing rock is not as breathtaking as the canyons but still beautiful. It's all mostly up hill from there!! 7 hrs total time for an unexperianced 54 yr old. well worth it.

Friday, May 18, 2018

awesome place, hard but worth!

Thursday, May 10, 2018

this is a great hike we started, at the echo canyon trail and ended by the parking lot making a lot. we started a bit late. it's a good thing to bring flashlights. this area isn't talked much about but it is definitely a hike I would recommend taking.

Saturday, April 07, 2018

Not only is the scenery amazing, the trails were built by the CCC’s and the amount of work that went into it is over the top.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

This is a beautiful easy to moderate trail depending on your activity level. The chiricahuas are a special place and the loop is like nothing I’ve seen in Arizona. The rock formations are amazing. Take your time and enjoy this one.

Friday, March 16, 2018

What Angie (+Samara) said. Do the whole thing if you can, but plan accordingly. I also finished the last few miles in the dark after hiking 10 miles in seven hours including stops. Caught it all though, including sunset followed by stars. Heart of Rocks specifically is the furthest point in. The loop is amazing! Chiricahua is an incredible place.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Ridiculously amazing and beautiful... We were pretty whooped by the time we got here bc we started by parking at the Echo Canyon Parking lot and worked our way here but stopped by Inspiration Point... New to this trail stuff and time management is a must... The hearts of rocks loop is 1.1 miles and scenic and amazing to look at every angle but I highly recommend mapping out your trip and making sure you have enough snacks and water for the trek and a fully charged high lumens flashlight or headlamp in case the sun goes down before you get back to the parking lot if you parked at Echo Canyon Parking lot bc it is going to be a doozy trying to get back in the dark. Very scenic and you'll want to explore and climb and take pictures but take that into account of the time management and sun... We didn't... And the moon didn't show up til the end... Smh. We were whooped but safe... But it could have been bad. Thankful for the snow we utilized to stay hydrated and the north face trail shoes I purchased the day before and the retractable trekking poles for the assistance they gave us towards the end... I definitely need to go back to do the Echo Canyon trail in daylight bc it was pitch black but eerily beautiful to see how the stars were. Don't underestimate your time management to get to the hearts of rock loop... It's so pretty there... But it was deep into the hike for us parking at the Echo Canyon parking lot and going the scenic route through Ed Riggs trail to Mushroom Rock trail to Inspiration Point and back...to the big loop to continue onto Sarah Deming trail then to Echo Canyon Trail passed the grottos to the parking lot... 9.5 hours... Last ones out and happy as a cam be to say we completed it safe with the resources we had. :) plan plan and plan. It's so worth it.

Thursday, March 01, 2018

Beautiful scenery, tall rock cliffs. Loved the in and out of the rock spires.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Worth the short hike out to see this area. Well maintained trail to get here. Breathtaking views in all directions. Well marked formations.

Monday, February 12, 2018

totally awesome

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Very beautiful place. We went all the way up to the mountain and were so amazed by the fabulous scene and spectacular rocks. Really worth the trip, will sure go there again .

Friday, December 29, 2017

This 12.7 round trip hike wins. It made it to my top 5 hikes. You hear a lot of people talk about havasupai falls, horse shoe bend, etc but not much of Chiricahua! I did minimum research before the hike and didn’t find much. I was lucky enough to find someone on the internet who mentioned a shuttle, which I HIGHLY SUGGEST IF YOU WANT TO SEE ALL OF THE TRAILS! You must arrive at the visitors center (park your car there) before 9am, as the FREE shuttle leaves right at 9am. It drops you off at echo canyon, and your one duty, is to hike all the way back to the visitors center. Is not VERY difficult, ofcourse, you will be stopping quite often to take a LOT of pictures of the beautiful scenic views you will get to see. This hike took my breath away.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Great hike in a special area

Sunday, November 26, 2017

“Wonderland of Rocks” Heart of Rocks Loop Trail. 7.3 miles (11.8 km) Round Trips (6.2 miles + 1.1 miles Loop). It was AMAZING hiking. A LOT OF ROCKS!! And a lot of different character of rocks. Double Thumbs Up!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Best hike I've done in Southern Arizona! Cool geology and reasonable temperatures made for a great day. We hiked this trail in late spring. I'm sure it's much warmer mid-summer.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Loved it!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Great hike. Beautiful formations. Bring plenty of water. Some tight spots in the loop.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Absolutely a must when visiting Chricicahua...literally the heart of the the rock formations in the park. My husband and I visited in early March: overcast, cold and STRONG winds. All the same, wouldn't have missed this trail. The hike from the visitor's center up to the Heart of Rocks wasn't overly strenuous. Once on the Heart of Rocks loop, the trail is mostly up and down, up close through the rock formations. On the way back, light hail (more a sprinkling of salt) and a dust storm that blew through the valley on the last 2-miles.