Heart of Rocks Loop

Heart of Rocks Loop is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Simon, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

awesome place, hard but worth!

this is a great hike we started, at the echo canyon trail and ended by the parking lot making a lot. we started a bit late. it's a good thing to bring flashlights. this area isn't talked much about but it is definitely a hike I would recommend taking.

Not only is the scenery amazing, the trails were built by the CCC’s and the amount of work that went into it is over the top.

This is a beautiful easy to moderate trail depending on your activity level. The chiricahuas are a special place and the loop is like nothing I’ve seen in Arizona. The rock formations are amazing. Take your time and enjoy this one.

What Angie (+Samara) said. Do the whole thing if you can, but plan accordingly. I also finished the last few miles in the dark after hiking 10 miles in seven hours including stops. Caught it all though, including sunset followed by stars.

Heart of Rocks specifically is the furthest point in. The loop is amazing! Chiricahua is an incredible place.

Ridiculously amazing and beautiful... We were pretty whooped by the time we got here bc we started by parking at the Echo Canyon Parking lot and worked our way here but stopped by Inspiration Point... New to this trail stuff and time management is a must... The hearts of rocks loop is 1.1 miles and scenic and amazing to look at every angle but I highly recommend mapping out your trip and making sure you have enough snacks and water for the trek and a fully charged high lumens flashlight or headlamp in case the sun goes down before you get back to the parking lot if you parked at Echo Canyon Parking lot bc it is going to be a doozy trying to get back in the dark. Very scenic and you'll want to explore and climb and take pictures but take that into account of the time management and sun... We didn't... And the moon didn't show up til the end... Smh. We were whooped but safe... But it could have been bad. Thankful for the snow we utilized to stay hydrated and the north face trail shoes I purchased the day before and the retractable trekking poles for the assistance they gave us towards the end... I definitely need to go back to do the Echo Canyon trail in daylight bc it was pitch black but eerily beautiful to see how the stars were. Don't underestimate your time management to get to the hearts of rock loop... It's so pretty there... But it was deep into the hike for us parking at the Echo Canyon parking lot and going the scenic route through Ed Riggs trail to Mushroom Rock trail to Inspiration Point and back...to the big loop to continue onto Sarah Deming trail then to Echo Canyon Trail passed the grottos to the parking lot... 9.5 hours... Last ones out and happy as a cam be to say we completed it safe with the resources we had. :) plan plan and plan. It's so worth it.

Beautiful scenery, tall rock cliffs. Loved the in and out of the rock spires.

Worth the short hike out to see this area. Well maintained trail to get here. Breathtaking views in all directions. Well marked formations.

totally awesome

Very beautiful place. We went all the way up to the mountain and were so amazed by the fabulous scene and spectacular rocks. Really worth the trip, will sure go there again .

This 12.7 round trip hike wins. It made it to my top 5 hikes. You hear a lot of people talk about havasupai falls, horse shoe bend, etc but not much of Chiricahua! I did minimum research before the hike and didn’t find much. I was lucky enough to find someone on the internet who mentioned a shuttle, which I HIGHLY SUGGEST IF YOU WANT TO SEE ALL OF THE TRAILS! You must arrive at the visitors center (park your car there) before 9am, as the FREE shuttle leaves right at 9am. It drops you off at echo canyon, and your one duty, is to hike all the way back to the visitors center. Is not VERY difficult, ofcourse, you will be stopping quite often to take a LOT of pictures of the beautiful scenic views you will get to see.
This hike took my breath away.

Great hike in a special area

“Wonderland of Rocks”
Heart of Rocks Loop Trail.
7.3 miles (11.8 km) Round Trips (6.2 miles + 1.1 miles Loop). It was AMAZING hiking. A LOT OF ROCKS!! And a lot of different character of rocks. Double Thumbs Up!!

Best hike I've done in Southern Arizona! Cool geology and reasonable temperatures made for a great day. We hiked this trail in late spring. I'm sure it's much warmer mid-summer.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Loved it!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Great hike. Beautiful formations. Bring plenty of water. Some tight spots in the loop.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Absolutely a must when visiting Chricicahua...literally the heart of the the rock formations in the park. My husband and I visited in early March: overcast, cold and STRONG winds. All the same, wouldn't have missed this trail. The hike from the visitor's center up to the Heart of Rocks wasn't overly strenuous. Once on the Heart of Rocks loop, the trail is mostly up and down, up close through the rock formations. On the way back, light hail (more a sprinkling of salt) and a dust storm that blew through the valley on the last 2-miles.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

A must see. I'll keep going back.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Really will maintained! Up hill hike all the way in, the turnaround back out is downhill. Awesome rock formations! Took me and my husband 3.5 hours to complete. Saw quite a bit of deer too!

Sunday, February 21, 2016

There is no entrance fee to this National Monument. At the visitor center, we learned that the road leading into the park was closed for maintenance. We took the Sarah Deming Trail from the visitor center to the Heart of Rocks Trail. The Heart of Rocks Trail features the most incredibly unique rock formations! You will see Thor's Hammer, Duck Rock, the famous Balancing Rock, and more. The Heart of Rocks loop is about a mile in length and an easy hike. (The trail to the Heart of Rocks, the Sarah Deming Trail, was about 3.5 mi. each way- a slight uphill grade the entire way.)

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

One of my favorite hikes in the Southwest! The trails were less crowded than a lot of the parks closer to Tucson. There was a decent amount of snow and ice-pack on the trails, so you had to watch your step. The views are incredible and very unique.

Friday, November 13, 2015

One of the best hikes we have taken. The rock formations are breath taking!

Sunday, June 14, 2015

One of the best hikes out there! Chiricahua National Monument is one of the GEMS of the National Park Service! This hike contains a great deal of diversity in scenery and there is rarely anyone else on the trail!

Friday, November 21, 2014

An out of the way park to get to but well worth the drive. Car camping spots are great. I was pressed for time and couldn't spend the whole day here. Hopped the shuttle that takes you to the top and hit the big loop trail that hits a lot of the high points. absolutely beautiful. Break it up short or long hikes this is a must see.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A must see!! I started this hike at 7:30am at Lower Rhyolite Trailhead from the Visitor's Center, and completed Lower Rhyolite, Sarah Deming and Heart of Rocks Loop trails (see attached pdf "Heart of Rocks" under strenuous hikes). It was very chilly and breezy which I didn't expect this time of year, so I recommend taking a light hoodie for the morning. I consider the hike to be in the "moderate" rating instead of strenuous if you're used to getting exercise in 2 to 3 times a week. The Heart of Rocks is the ultimate treat at the top. Some of these giant rocks have taken the form of characters, like Punch and Judy, Camel's Head, and Duck on a Rock, and they are all marked along the 1-mile loop. Every where you turn will take your breath away. These trails will take you longer than usual as you stop and take in all the wonder. Watch your steps!

Sunday, October 05, 2014

This is a really gorgeous hike. I wouldn't say it's strenuous--but I hike a lot. I started at Masai and went down which meant I went up, up, up a lot towards the end, but I was glad I did it that way (harder). The grottoes, by far, were my personal favorite. I took some amazing pictures. I saw some lizards but the wildlife minded it's own business yesterday (I did hear there was a bear with cubs nearby). Ran into some birders from SV and Benson that had no clue where they were going so that gave me a laugh. I did this fast--under four hours. And no, the visitor's center doesn't sell coke--I was dying for something sweet. But they said if they could actually get someone out there to service a machine they might consider it. So, there's hope.

recorded the big loop