Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Hawk's Nest/Desert Tortoise/Dixie Mountain Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(403)
Phoenix, Arizona

Hawk's Nest/Desert Tortoise/Dixie Mountain Loop is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Loop

A nice moderate trail through great desert scenery crossing creeks and twisting and turning around the hills. Provides a loop opportunity between Hawk's Nest Trail, Valle Verde Trail, and Dixie Mountain Loop.

My friend and I do this trail often. It is a nice trail not very populated this time of year. Today we weren’t paying attention and did not do the big great owl loop and Union Peak because we were talking too much! We do consider this to be a very easy hike it is one of our active rest day hikes.

Enjoyable with only one real uphill of any consequence. If I was a better mountain biker, I’d try this out. In the meantime, makes for a lower-intensity trail out and away from the nearby neighborhood. Hit it in the late afternoon and there was only a handful of people out.

If taking the clockwise route, first half has plenty of inclines. Remember the trail sequence. I missed the turn at Desert Tortoise and went a mile further than I needed to. Second half is mostly flat easy to run or bike.

Not too busy today on a Sunday morning. Very nice trails. Would highly recommend

We cut halfway through (my dog and I) because it was reaching 90 and there’s no shade so I think he was getting a little hot. We stopped for water about every mile. Will definitely be out here again for the full loop just early in the morning or later in the evening. Beautiful views!

Nice easy to moderate trail. A few uphill but nothing a novice can’t handle. Do not recommenced small children unless your going to carry. Otherwise nice hike about an hour easy pace

We enjoyed this trail combo very much. Fortunate to catch the cacti and wild flowers in bloom.

One of my go-to trails for a quick hike (mostly because it's essentially in my backyard. ) Very lush and green right now, with lots of lupine, brittlebush, saguaro and cholla.

Saw 2 rattlsnakes so be careful out there. Beautiful trail with lots of wild flowers.

easy trail with slight elevation changes. wildflowers just starting

Mostly a hardscrabble, loose rocky surface with mostly gentle inclines. Dog friendly, we saw a dozen or so on leash, enjoying the day. Of course temps were in the 70s, higher might not be so dog friendly. Prohibited over 100F. Beautiful scenery, beautiful day.

great trail, beautiful views...beware of the chollas! Pretty easy hike

Great trail! We walked through a cholla forest at one point. Lots of cactus on the path so be careful if you do bring dogs!