Hawes Trail System Loop

Hawes Trail System Loop is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is poorly marked.

Sweet trail for mountain biking loose and flowy will go again

Nice trail! But as others have said no markings. Park along the highway and follow someone to find the trail head. Going clockwise is pretty hard as I discovered today! Great views!!

This hike was the perfect challenge for two fairly active people. There were spots that got narrow and fairly steep, but nothing that couldn’t be done in tennis shoes (although I would recommend thicker soles, it’s pretty rocky!) We clocked closer to 7.5 miles. We took clues from people leaving the trail when figuring out where to enter (it’s on the east side of the road from the red rock, just north of the bridge). Absolutely stunning and a great workout. We had overcast & 70 - this would be a hot one if much warmer.

Really enjoyed this trail !

Nice hike, not too crowded, great scenery. Park along the main road.

Second time out exploring this trail system. Went out on Xmas Eve Day and the trail was busy, mostly with Mtn. Bikers. Everyone was friendly and courteous, but this is probably a much better biking trail than it is for hiking.

I would call this more on the easy side of moderate, but there is a bit of a climb around the old mines on the north side of the trail system. I would probably only come back and use this system of trails for a run rather than a hike.

Love this trail, beautiful views of red mountain and the salt river amongst saguaros and flowing desert cactus

This is an excellent running trail. Nice rolling terrain with some decent short climbs. Good views and not too heavily trafficked. Lots of mountain bike use, but everyone I encountered had a solid sense of trail etiquette. The north end of this loop has the most aggressive and technical sections but nothing un-run-able..

Great trail to hike. My dad and I enjoy going here when we hike since it isn’t too far from where we live. It is fun and was great for my 50 lbs pit bull who has never hiked.

I went hiking with my boyfriend and our dog today. He is about 28 pounds and this trail was not difficult at all for him, especially being his first time hiking. There are some steep short ledges that can be scary when a biker comers around the corner. Make sure you keep an eye on your pooch as there are many cacti along the trail. Great day!

There is a lost dog, she is tan colored, about 50 pounds, long haired, possibly a shepherd or husky mix. She was spotted here about an hour ago. If you see her, please call her owner- Jon @ 480-593-5029. She is posted as missing in the Next Door App. Her name is Sierra, she is skiddish and has been missing since Friday. Thank you.

Very poor markings on trail, got a little lost but all in all beautiful hike, good running/biking trails.

Fun trail occasionally hard to find. Some great views of red Mountain and the salt River. There are many other trails and washes that intersect. This makes it easy to take a quick short cut back to the beginning. We cut about 2 miles off the main trail by doing this. We didn’t want to do the whole 7 miles. We did about five.

Park for free by the bridge just before Granite Reef recreation site or roadside just after. Granite Reef requires a paid pass.

This is a great MTB trail. I was hiking and went off trail most of the time. I did a Little Rock hounding and found some nice quartz.

It’s straight up desert crossing, not featured, maintained hiking trails. I like that.

I think the only parking area is about a mile away from the trail. You have to get a permit at the Walgreens on the way in ($8). I skipped this trail.

Fantastic loops! Make your own distance by adding loops or subtracting...... good elevation not too much, good for trail running and bikes! This is a great easy go to trail system!

Nice trail, mostly flat but enough elevation to catch a few decent peeks at the Salt River and the Red Mountain.

By far my favorite loop at the Hawes Trail System. Not as much elevation as doing the full Hawes Trail Loop, but the views are much better and the trail is way more fun. Lots of rolling hills and undulations - the miles just fly by. Trail is easy/moderate when on the Ridge Trail connector, bumps up to moderate on Saddle Trail, and is more difficult/technical on Saguaro Trail and Mine Shaft.

Pros - great views, well maintained trails, good terrain and elevation, not too crowded, most of trail is shaded in the afternoon/evening.

Cons - Trail is pretty poorly marked. Thankfully the AllTrails app on my phone was very accurate and I was able to get back on the trail pretty easily.

More of a mountain bike than a hike trail. For hiking it’s pretty easy and very exposed. Not a tad of shade, so better for the winter months. Be aware of bikers.

Not very crowded. Free. Beautiful scenery. Not much bad I can say about this one.

It's a very nice trail with a good amount of uphill and some great downhill running. I did get lost at one turn but if you follow your phone you should be good. It's a great run and it's very challenging. Highly recommended:)

Good trail! Lots of switchbacks and up and down terrain. A few bikers to watch for. On a weekend there's probably a lot more, so have to be aware. I've noticed after using AllTrails for a while now that you can't always take the information as being accurate. For example this trail as mapped on the app is called the Hawes Trail. Well parts of it are signed as Hawes, Saddle Trail, Maricopa, and Saguaro. Without the app, we could have got lost and could have walked for hours in the wrong direction.

The trail head needs a new map. It is badly faded. We felt the trail markers were confusing. It’s a good thing we had enough water and time as ended up doing about 8 miles Several more than we intended. It was our first time on the trail. The view of Ted Mt was fantastic.

This hike was a nice, easy one. Very little change in elevation with a few minor ups and downs. TONS of mountain bikers. Very easy to follow with wooden markers pointing out the split offs and nice views of red mountains. Actually only did half of the loop and turned back to take the turn off for saguaro trail which was much more beautiful and less trafficked by bikers. I’ll be back to give the whole loop a shot—it would be worth sticking it out past the part where it’s backed by a neighborhood as the other side of the loop seems more desolate.

Great trail beautiful scenery a lot of bikers on this trail

Monday, January 15, 2018

This is a moderate, low elevation hike. Nice open space and close to city. Trail is used primarily for biking, keep an eye for those bikers. Something else, if you are lucky you will come across some beautiful wild horses, very cool sight.

Trails is well maintained and is marked, no way of getting lost on this one. I love the views of red mountain and river. After the hike you are about 5 minutes drive to river which is a perfect place to cool down.

Thursday, January 04, 2018

We went off the beaten track a couple of times and didn’t realize it. Thank god for the app! Ended up walking 11.7 kms. Our pup was pooped when we finished!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

great Trail for running a bit challenging awesome for training