Learn more

Havasu Falls, Mooney Falls, and Beaver Falls

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(874)
Havasupai Reservation

Havasu Falls, Mooney Falls, and Beaver Falls is a 24.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Supai, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 24.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,307 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Hikers must get a permit from the Havasupai Indian Reservation for this hike. You must get them well in advance. This is a very popular overnight backpacking trip. There are several variations hikers can do, including various falls, the confluence with the Colorado River, and the town of Supai. The Havasupai Indian Reservation is not part of the Grand Canyon National Park, but you cannot tell that from the scenery. From your very first step at the trailhead parking lot until your return at the end of your trip, you will be swiveling your head side to side to take it all in. The water is a turquoise blue/green and the perfect way to refresh the tired legs and back after the 12 mile trek down to the campground. The parking lot at the trailhead is stunning. It is perched more than 1000 feet above the valley floor and provides one of the best vistas of the trip. The trail starts with a steep descent down the face of the box canyon to the valley floor on a series of switchbacks. Be on the lookout for the approaching mules. They have the right-of-way, and won't stop to wait for you to move to the side. Once you reach the valley floor, the trail bends to the north and follows the wash for 8 miles into the town of Supai. Along the way, the canyon walls draw closer and the surroundings become more grand. You get a sense for the true size of the canyon walls when then tower hundreds of feet straight up as you make your way down the canyon. There is more shade in this narrow section of trail. The sun doesn't have the angle to penetrate the canyon and it helps to keep temperatures down. In this slot section ( which starts at about mile 7), you really need to watch for the mule packs. As they approach, move to the canyon wall side and not the cliff side. At the end of the slot section, it opens and the Havasu Creek comes in from the right side. As you cross the open expanse, following the trail as it curves to the left, you will hear the water for the first time. It comes into view as you enter the heavier vegetation. The town of Supai is close. You will follow the irrigation channel into Supai. The two miles following the town of Supai are packed with waterfalls, blue-green water, and tons of photo opportunities. It's just 2 miles to Havasu Falls from Supai. The campground and Mooney Falls are just beyond that. Visitors must camp overnight at either the campground near Havasu Falls or the Havasupai Lodge in Supai. Some adventurous hikers continue on to reach the confluence with the Colorado River.

An adventure of a lifetime!

This was such a fun adventure. The hiking, the camping, the people, the falls. All of it was amazing. Would go again if I have the opportunity. Be mindful where you set up camp. We went May 2019 and had some heavy storms at night and many people had to move their tents due to flooding.

Amazing amazing amazing. Honestly, surreal and can’t believe this is at the bottom of the Canyon! Highly recommend going for a few days.

private property

Did this last year on my birthday. Sept 2019, It is an east hike going in, just long since its about 10miles. Just make sure u have enough water and start early to avoid heat exhaustion. We started hiking in and out before 4am and had no problem.

The best! One of the most amazing places I’ve ever been!

private property

My #1 hike I’ve ever done. I did this in mid-October 2018. You start by hiking down into the canyon so it’s all downhill and not too hard going in; plus, the view makes time go by super fast (even with 20-40lbs. on the back). There were a lot of bees once you reach the village so be weary of that! Also it rained a lot for a couple of days right before we went so unfortunately the water was a bit brown and some paths were washed out, so bring water shoes and an extra, extra change of clothes! We were waist deep at points, scaling the sides but it was super fun (and we definitely went the hard way)! The waterfalls are gorgeous, and swimming was fun even in the clay infused water. We hiked to all the falls, going to Beaver Falls was like an obstacle course and super thrilling. I would not recommend for people afraid of heights. We did helicopter out, which honestly I’d highly recommend because your legs are ridiculously tired after hiking all that way all those days. If you can afford to stay more than 3-4 days for an extra day of rest, the hike out and back up the canyon would definitely be more doable! If passes weren’t outrageously expensive, I’d absolutely do it again (hopefully someday!)

private property

This place is definitely a bucket list hiking trip. Well worth the hike the reward once you see the water is priceless. Make reservations well in advance. Begin your hike in and out I. The early morning to avoid direct sun. Highly recommend water shoes, Tevas, etc. for water exploration. They have services to pack your items in and out by burro, horse back, helicopter for an additional fee. Recommend at least a 3 day stay. There is a spring to get drinkable water, a little restaurant type store in the Indian village. This is a must do the waterfalls are unbelievable!!!!

This place is magical, no other way to put it. The permits need to be acquired well in advance or otherwise you can join a tour group for a hefty charge. Make sure to camp out at least 2 nights. And being water proof shoes or Tiva like sandals, many river crossings. Truly wonderful place

Such a fun backpacking trip! Would go back if it wasn’t so expensive. I went in 2016 when it was only $62.

Highly recommend leaving very early in the hike out to avoid full sun. Pack less food. Can’t wait to do it again!!

private property

Best solo hike. April 2016 and May 2017, still was cold at start of trail. Started hike at dawn to arrive at office in Supai as they open. Once in canyon, it got warm. Scenic all around. Once at campground, the water was cold. Hike to Moony was 1 mile—have good grip shoes (or water shoes) for climb down. Hike to Beaver Falls from Moony is an extra almost 2 miles: lots of tall grass and bushes. Climbing back up and through lots of rock to get to Beaver Falls. Prepare for hike leaving Supai, as it’s more difficult than way down. Lots of water!

goodmorning, I was wondering to get to mooneyfalls (waterfall) would we have to do the 24 mile hike??is their a short cutt? I've been trying to locate this but on the map it doesnt say how to get there ? can someone let me know. I want to do this in july for my birthday 5053302313. thank you!

worth the hype. The hike was pretty flat other than the very beginning and very end. not great footing, lots of scree and sand, but otherwise not overly strenuous. beautiful views everywhere, Mooney Falls and Beaver falls are incredible. I recommend camping at the very end of the campgrounds, closest to Mooney Falls.

hello everyone my name is Lawrence and I've been dreaming of doing this hike for sometime now. I wasnt able again for another year to grave a spot. if you or know of anyone the is selling their tickets or spot please give me a ring. I'd really like to go with my girlfriend. my email is lawrence.anaya@gmail.com or text me at (323)816-4479 please and thank you

I don't think I'll ever stop talking about this adventure. I hiked the trail for my 30th birthday 11/14/19. There are no words to describe how beautiful this place is. So many vibrant amazing colors and wildlife as well. The tribe is very friendly! Bring cash for souvenirs as well as Inidian tacos (sold just above Havasu Falls). For the hike in I'd recommend a boot that is light with ankle coverage (the sand can be deep) and a wide toe box. Basically just get some Altra Lone Peaks . Weigh your packs! You want to glamp of course but don't under estimate the hike in. Bring trekking poles as the beginning of the hike is exceptionally steep with constant switch backs and you'll appreciate the extra stability. I would recommend filling your water bladder for the hike in. Hate the extra weight but you'll drink it down before you finally reach the first stream. Bring water filtration. Do not bring pool floats or inner tubes because they're not allowed anymore. I know you're probably thinking if you hike in super early, you'll get the best spot. That's not true. Other people's permits overlap yours and odds are it'll be hard finding the spot you think is just right so enjoy the hike in and don't race. Lastly HIKE TO BEAVER FALLS! Unless you are really afraid of heights or don't like fun obstacle courses there is no reason you shouldn't go! It was the best bonus of the entire trip. Safe travels

Trip of a lifetime!! I went the last week in September of 2019. The weather was perfect. Highly recommend doing research before consider getting permits. We didn’t meet an unfriendly soul. Be respectful and always carry out what you carry in. God definitely did some of his best work at Havasupai.

The best hike/experience and most favorite place I’ve been to! It is otherworldly. Do your research on what is required to hike in and prepare for the hike/camp. Please be respectful while there! This place is privately owned by the Havasupai tribe and visiting is a privilege, not a right. Leave no trace. What you carry in, carry out! There are horror stories of things disrespectful hikers leave behind, being in a remote location leftover trash and belongings remain there. We went in early June and it was perfect weather to enjoy the cold water.

fee

Hiked a month ago in November and stayed for two nights. Due to the time of year the sun only reach the canyon for just a few hours a day, making temperatures almost freezing. Beaver Falls is a must see but make sure to start around day break otherwise you will miss optimal lighting conditions. I carried my pack in and out and brought more food and water than necessary. It's okay to pack lighter since there is a store and restaurant at the bottom to get more supplies. Not worth the extra weight.

Amazing hike. It’s a must!! It’s like another world with blue Gatorade waterfalls:)

We hiked all the way to the campground by Havasu Falls. Definitely start early in the morning to escape the sun. Mooney falls is the real treasure so make sure you rest 1-2 days after hiking in. Especially if you hike with a lot of equipment. The trail was a total of 8 hours for us, we did stop at a couple points. We caught the helicopter on the way out. For pictures of this hike and more follow me on Instagram @Nathan_vanengen