Havasu Falls, Mooney Falls, and Beaver Falls

Havasu Falls, Mooney Falls, and Beaver Falls is a 24.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Supai, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

cave

Hikers must get a permit from the Havasupai Indian Reservation for this hike. You must get them well in advance. This is a very popular overnight backpacking trip. There are several variations hikers can do, including various falls, the confluence with the Colorado River, and the town of Supai. The Havasupai Indian Reservation is not part of the Grand Canyon National Park, but you cannot tell that from the scenery. From your very first step at the trailhead parking lot until your return at the end of your trip, you will be swiveling your head side to side to take it all in. The water is a turquoise blue/green and the perfect way to refresh the tired legs and back after the 12 mile trek down to the campground. The parking lot at the trailhead is stunning. It is perched more than 1000 feet above the valley floor and provides one of the best vistas of the trip. The trail starts with a steep descent down the face of the box canyon to the valley floor on a series of switchbacks. Be on the lookout for the approaching mules. They have the right-of-way, and won't stop to wait for you to move to the side. Once you reach the valley floor, the trail bends to the north and follows the wash for 8 miles into the town of Supai. Along the way, the canyon walls draw closer and the surroundings become more grand. You get a sense for the true size of the canyon walls when then tower hundreds of feet straight up as you make your way down the canyon. There is more shade in this narrow section of trail. The sun doesn't have the angle to penetrate the canyon and it helps to keep temperatures down. In this slot section ( which starts at about mile 7), you really need to watch for the mule packs. As they approach, move to the canyon wall side and not the cliff side. At the end of the slot section, it opens and the Havasu Creek comes in from the right side. As you cross the open expanse, following the trail as it curves to the left, you will hear the water for the first time. It comes into view as you enter the heavier vegetation. The town of Supai is close. You will follow the irrigation channel into Supai. The two miles following the town of Supai are packed with waterfalls, blue-green water, and tons of photo opportunities. It's just 2 miles to Havasu Falls from Supai. The campground and Mooney Falls are just beyond that. Visitors must camp overnight at either the campground near Havasu Falls or the Havasupai Lodge in Supai. Some adventurous hikers continue on to reach the confluence with the Colorado River.

Amazing, very recommended hike if you love nature and challenges.

one of the most beautiful hikes I have done in my life, Highly recommended.

Absolute paradise! Well worth all my sore muscles!! We stayed 3 days/2 nights, and I wish I had planned another day. Spectacular views from the hilltop all the way to Beaver Falls. Going up and down Mooney was a little scary, but so glad we did!!

Take me back! The aqua water and waterfalls are truly worth the trouble. I was really worried about the hike out of the canyon but we made it out in 5 hrs, and it was not as difficult as I had anticipated.

one of the best hikes of my life! not terribly difficult, just long. but what a crazy adventure!

Breathtaking views, especially the beaver falls. Make sure to pack light to enjoy the hike.

Amazing experience. Opportunity of a lifetime. Pack as light as possible or send your pack down /up on a mule. The switchbacks are the hardest but then relatively flat thereafter. The hike to Mooney falls is a challenge. Bring rubberized garden gloves for that. And wear GOOD water shoes. Not cheap ones. The falls are breathtaking and worth all the effort! Start as early in the morning (both ways) as possible as there is not much shade from hilltop to Supai village.

If you have the opportunity to go, I say go! You see the pictures but this place is even more magical in person. Spent three nights and four days in the canyon and it was the perfect amount of time to see all the falls & do some additional exploring. They say the hike is 10 miles to camp but my Fitbit had me at 12 miles. Whatever the mileage is, just be prepared to walk a whole lot but just know it's not strenuous. Once you get to camp you're going to be tired but keep walking. The best sites are towards the back and it's a bonus because it will put you closer to Mooney Falls. I will tell you this, the descend down to Mooney Falls is sketchy as shit. So bad that the first day I turned around because I was so scared. The second day my friends convinced me and my other friend to give it another try. We did it, but it was terrifying. This is something I wish I would have known before, so now I'm telling you! Bring gloves! Not necessary but it gives you a sense of security as you death grip those chains. Once you're down there I say book it to Beaver Falls. Everyone likes to hang around Mooney, so if you just head straight to Beaver Falls you may get lucky enough and have the Falls to yourself for a little bit! Portions of that hike were a little sketchy too. I can talk for days about this place ... but I'll spare you the manifesto. But if you have any questions, need advice, etc. send me message and I'll be more than happy to help you out! Happy hiking!

What's left to be said? It's a magical fantasyland! We were in the canyon from 4/6-4/9. We stayed in Peach Springs the night before. We started hiking down at 7am and had our tent up and hammocks hung by noon. We mostly lounged around camp to read and let our legs recover. the next morning, we made our way towards Mooney and Beaver Falls. Getting down to Mooney is a bit sketchy, but If you set your mind to it and take your time, you'll be fine. Once you're down there, take your time and soak it all in. Mooney and Beaver falls are awesome, no doubt, but there are 20 or so unnamed (to my limited knowledge)falls and swimming holes along the way that would normally be considered destination hikes on their own merit. You cross the creek several times along the trail, usually no more than knee deep. Most of the trail is relatively flat, but when you do have to go up and down, it's usually pretty steep both ways, but nothing that should deter you. We spent all day in this part of the canyon. We hiked back upstream to Mooney, climbed the muddy, slippery wall, and were reading in our hammocks by 5pm. The next day was a pretty easy day, exploring Havasu and Lower Navajo Falls. They are much easier to access than Mooney or Beaver. We spent all the time we could soaking in the water and then headed back to camp for our last night. The hike back up to the plateau is rough. It was 11ish miles from our campsite and it just kept going up, up, and up. We started hiking out at 9am, spent 15 or so minutes in the village, and eventually got to the trailhead a few minutes after 2:30pm. It probably would have been a little warm on the last part of the hike, but we had a huge front blow in around mile 7, so instead of heat, we battled the wind. All that said, every quad burning step up those switchbacks is 100% worth it. If you ever have the chance to go, do everything in your power to make it happen!

Amazing experience, this is a very unique place. Verizon Wireless service is available in the town. If you are backpacking into the campground note that many people car camp at the trailhead the night before. I stayed off Route 66 at a campground and was bummed to see when I arrived at about 4am that everyone else did the same thing but right on the trailhead! Try to only hike in between 3AM-11AM, after you obviously have a ton of time to take between the falls. Those switchbacks will kill you at the end on the way out, try not to do that with the afternoon sun if you can.

The best trip. If you have the opportunity, hike until your legs fall off because there is so much to see.

So great. Unbelievable beauty. The trail into the canyon is a strenuous hike but doable for a person in reasonable shape. My pack was 30 pounds going in, and 24 coming out because of food. Many people either flew their packs out on the helicopter or had the burros carry them, but we didn’t. It was in the 60s mostly, and going in we had 2 liters of water each, which was adequate. Coming out we had the same amount but bought Gatorade in the town. One more liter would have been perfect. Any hotter we would have needed double that. If you have an opportunity to go, don’t hesitate.

What a great trip. The trails capture your attention at all times. I thank the Lord I am alive after going down and back up mooney falls!! The ladders, rock steps, and chains are wet and muddy...not a trail for people with phobias. We met so many nice people on the trails and campground which makes the experience more special. The non-stop fern spring is awesome, because it is unlimited water that does not need filtering. Unfortunately I brought my water hiking shoes but did not pack them in my backpack?? big mistake because you cross the river 3 times going to Beaver Falls and 3 more times coming back. We had to take our hiking boots off 6 times and walk barefoot on the river rocks...ouch! Then I slipped and my boots got wet. Overall, I give it a 5 stars because any problems we had were my fault.

Amazing hike! The most beautiful waterfalls.

Where do you buy permit...any input. ?

one of the best hike I have ever been to.

Check out my videos for the Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls hike.

This is an amazing trip. I've read a lot here and on the FB Havasupai Group that this hike is brutal. I did not find that to be the case. 10 miles is "long" but it's not difficult. The "hardest" part is on your way out, the first mile to the village is pretty uphill and the last mile to the hilltop is also uphill.

Beautiful way to view the canyon. Seeing it from the bottom up is unforgettable. Havasu falls is very memorable, but not for people afraid of heights. Climbing down into the bowl around the falls is steep and narrow.

The trail itself isn’t particularly difficult, I found, except on the way back as it’s a steady incline and then the last mile or so climb is challenging. The toughest part is the length and carrying a heavy pack. All in all, gorgeous trail. It snowed on us quite heavily on the way out, but made for a unique scene. One we won’t soon forget.

One of a must visit place in your life time. The weather was colder and adverse being in Feb but this does not stop you from fully experiencing the beauty of these falls.The water temperature of the falls is cold and little warm closer to the banks and is good enough for wading through . Had hiked to Navajo, Havasu, Mooney and Beaver falls.
The hike is not hard rather could be little strenuous for novice hikers.. I would rate this hike as moderately strenuous.

I hiked down February 19 2018 and hiked up the 21st. yes it snowed but the cold would not stop me from doing it again.

One of the best places in the US to visit

Once in a lifetime, must see and do hike!!!! There’s nothing more to say about this place.

One of the most beautiful places on earth.

Once again a great hike with absolutely beautiful destinations! Sadly there seem to be more people not taking their trash and other items out with them. Some people left behind an air mattress, shoes, dirty clothes, bottles, cans and other trash. if you hike it in, hike it out or don’t bother going. It is a disgrace that some humans ruin things for others. I would agree that if you were going to have your belongings packed into the canyon for you that you should use the helicopter. There are still several horses and mules along the route that had bleeding saddle sores and other injuries. That stuff aside, it’s a place worth checking out if you are lucky enough to get a permit.

This was the most fun I have ever had. climbing down a cave then realizing I have to climb down using chains and then there's a huge ladder thats wet from the mist of the most beautiful waterfall. I faced my fear of heights. then we take the trail and get to take off our shoes and socks and make our way across the water not once but 3 times on this hike (and 3 times on the way back) when it seemed to never end we got to those final ladders to get up top above Beaver Falls and that feeling you get is just so worth the hike. Amazing view. Amazing feels.
Not ok for kids, adults only

This is a great adventurous beautiful walk with multiple river crossings along the way, with the water coming to about your knees so dress/pack appropriately for this. The most challenging back of the walk is climbing down the cliff face to Mooney falls. There are craved out foot holes and chains to help you down but definitely not for those scared of heights. Apart from that it is a pretty easy walk and a lovely oasis. Took us about 5 hours from the lodge and back. There are no toilets after the campground though.