Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls Trail

Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls Trail is a 22.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Supai, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

cave

The Havasupai Indian Reservation is not part of the Grand Canyon National Park, but you cannot tell that from the scenery. From your very first step at the trailhead parking lot until your return at the end of your trip, you will be swiveling your head side to side to take it all in. The water is a turquoise blue/green and the perfect way to refresh the tired legs and back after the 12 mile trek down to the campground. Hitting the trail The parking lot at the trailhead is stunning to say the least. It is perched more than 1000 feet above the valley floor and provides one of the best vistas of the trip. The trail starts with a steep descent down the face of the box canyon to the valley floor by way of a series of switchbacks. If you have creaky knees, you will definitely feel this descent! Be on the lookout for the approaching mules. They have the right-of-way, and won't stop to wait for you to move to the side. Once you reach the valley floor, the trail bends to the north and follows the wash for 8 miles into the Indian town of Supai. Along the way, the canyon walls draw closer and the surroundings become more grand. You get a sense for the true size of the canyon walls when then tower hundreds of feet straight up as you make your way down the canyon. There is more shade in this narrow section of trail. The sun doesn't have the angle to penetrate the canyon and it helps to keep temperatures down. In this slot section ( which starts at about mile 7), you really need to watch for the mule packs. As they approach, move to the canyon wall side and not the cliff side. The wrong move could be disastrous as these animals move through. At the end of the slot section, it opens and the Havasu Creek comes in from the right side. As you cross the open expanse, following the trail as it curves to the left, you will hear the water for the first time. It comes into view as you enter the heavier vegetation. The town of Supai is close. You will follow the irrigation channel into Supai. The two miles following the town of Supai are packed with waterfalls, blue-green water, and tons of photo opportunities. It's just 2 miles to Havasu Falls from Supai. The campground and Mooney Falls are just beyond that.

Assume trail.

I placed my reservation 8 months in advance, the spots go quickly for hiking permit and hotel!

Not possible in one day, I barely recommend it in 2 unless your using the helicopter or horses to get out(They also dont allow one day hikes, the native rangers will kick you out and fine you, your in their reservation and will abide by their governing laws). If your taking friends choose them carefully as your friendship will be tested in this lengthy journey. Brace yourself its a long one, the trail from the parking to the village is like 90% riverbed rock. This riverbed blistered my feet by mile 4, as my foot was constantly slipping in my shoe due to the loose gravel/rock. Once you make it to the village the Natives can care less about customer service anywhere in the village, to them you are trespassing and are not wanted! So if your whiny about being treated like a princes... this is not for YOU! The hotel in the village isnt a resort or high end lodge its bare minimum essentials to sleep and shower. You must be as independent as possible! Plan carefully your food and water rations to at least last you to the village where you can purchase more food and water to continue on down to the falls. Really think about what you are carrying in your backpack as its a commitment! The end result is beyond worth it! I made it as far as Mooney Falls(dangerous climb down on chains) it was worth every agonizing step for me but I buckered up and ended up flying the helicopter out due to my blisters.

I did this hike in July 2016 in 100+ degree weather we started off the parking lot at 5:30am we reached the village by about 9:30am, then made it to Havasu falls by 12:40pm. Finished my camelback gallon of water before reaching Havasu falls; I did not refill at the village stupid mistake, but there is a fresh water fountain near a campground after Havasu falls on your way to Mooney.

Hope this helps!

I wanna go there with a friend. I have also questions about that reservation. And also, has anyone done this in one day? Is it possible? Pls contact me Susann.eckert88@gmx.de
Thx

Hello everyone I have a question is there hotels in the village? I have never been there before and I was wondering if it's only a camping place or if there's hotels were people can stay at. And I read on another review that you are suppose to get a reservation is that reservation required to go there? Please contact me if you have any info to jazmin198986@gmail.com thank you.

I've done this hike twice and it's amazing. Fairly easy hike to the village and on to the campsites. Coming back is much more difficult and as another mentioned leave early.

Great hike! Left out at sunrise around 5:30 am with 2 liters water made it to the village at 9:30am, consumed about 1/2 my water. Stayed overnite explored all the falls. Woke up bushed and slept in and didn't leave till 10:30am, big mistake, didn't make it out till 6:30pm, drank all 2 liters, still had 1 mile of switch backs up the canyon . Torture! Lesson learned always leave out at sunrise and don't hike the afternoon!!! You will die!
Or think you are dying!! Also bring 3 liters on your way out and up the canyon!!

Most amazing, rewarding and challenging hike of my life! We left the trail head at 6:30am and got to the campground around 11. An intense switchback to get down, long strait away and then another long 2 miles into camp. Once we set-up, we decided to hike to Mooney Falls (told by the park ranger that it was only a 5 min walk), another epic experience down traversing through caves and relying on chains and bolts to get to the bottom (we did this one twice!). The next day we went to Beaver Falls and Havasu Falls, both equally amazing. The final morning we packed up and headed out with our packs. Be prepared for a long walk and bring at least 3 liters of water each way! We opted to carry our own packs in and out and not cheat the first time by traveling by helicopter or having mules carry our luggage. Hard but worth it!!!

This is a bucket list type hike. It's a long haul down to the campground and falls, but it's well worth it. I was a little out of shape for this one, and carried way to much stuff in my pack. My calves were sore the next few days after. But a swim in the cool water was beyond refreshing. We went in Sept. Still hot, but the water was certainly warmer than other months would be. The hike down Hualapai Canyon is really cool. The cliffs just keep getting steeper the further you go. Then you get to the junction with Havasu creek and follow it to the village of Supai. You pick up your permit there and continue another 2 miles to the falls. The trail from the village down is like talcum powder. The dirt is just ground right down from the mules and horses. Makes for some hard walking when you're already tired. We spent 2 nights, and on the second day we went down to Mooney falls and hung out there for a while. Hard to describe this place, you just have to be there. The color of the water, the red cliffs, unreal. Bring lots of water for the hike. There'll be none anywhere along Hualapai canyon. You can get some supplies in Supai at the little store there. You can also get something to eat at the small cafe there. I bought and downed a few Gatorade's before the hike out. The last mile to Hualapai hilltop is a pull when you are hiking out, especially in the heat. Beware, and ration your water for this last pitch!!

Has anyone ever done this without a reservation?! Please email me
Dagham67@gmail.com

Great hike, not at all technical nor crowded. A heavy backpack is the biggest handicap. April seemed the ideal time, would not want to do it under the summer sun as there is no shade in the steepest section.

Havasupai and money falls are hands down the most stunning and beautiful place I've been to (after living in 4 countries and traveled to much more) the hike down is super easy, no elevation gain, just bring enough water. The descend down money can be a bit tricky due to the most and slippery grounds, but take your time and you'll be fine. The camp spots near money is probably the best place on earth!!!!

A group of 3 of us hiked in with 40lb+ packs in 3 hours. It was a very well maintained trail- the views made everything worth it. Bring lots of water!!!

The way out was much worse- would highly recommend setting aside money for a mule to carry your pack out.

The first mile in is a series of switchbacks as you descend over 1000 ft in elevation into the canyon. Over the next 7 miles, you descend another 1000 ft or so.

After you check in to the village for your campsite, you descend another 500 ft over 2 miles until you get to your Campground.

Like I said, the way in: easy. The way out: not so much.

BEAUTIFUL!! Pictures don't do this place justice! A must see! We were a group pf 20, 15 adults & 5 kids ages 6yr-13yr. Kids hiked it like champs.
It's a very long hike but easy. Hard to get reservations , but don't give up stay on that phone!!