Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls Trail

Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls Trail is a 22.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Supai, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

cave

The Havasupai Indian Reservation is not part of the Grand Canyon National Park, but you cannot tell that from the scenery. From your very first step at the trailhead parking lot until your return at the end of your trip, you will be swiveling your head side to side to take it all in. The water is a turquoise blue/green and the perfect way to refresh the tired legs and back after the 12 mile trek down to the campground. Hitting the trail The parking lot at the trailhead is stunning to say the least. It is perched more than 1000 feet above the valley floor and provides one of the best vistas of the trip. The trail starts with a steep descent down the face of the box canyon to the valley floor by way of a series of switchbacks. If you have creaky knees, you will definitely feel this descent! Be on the lookout for the approaching mules. They have the right-of-way, and won't stop to wait for you to move to the side. Once you reach the valley floor, the trail bends to the north and follows the wash for 8 miles into the Indian town of Supai. Along the way, the canyon walls draw closer and the surroundings become more grand. You get a sense for the true size of the canyon walls when then tower hundreds of feet straight up as you make your way down the canyon. There is more shade in this narrow section of trail. The sun doesn't have the angle to penetrate the canyon and it helps to keep temperatures down. In this slot section ( which starts at about mile 7), you really need to watch for the mule packs. As they approach, move to the canyon wall side and not the cliff side. The wrong move could be disastrous as these animals move through. At the end of the slot section, it opens and the Havasu Creek comes in from the right side. As you cross the open expanse, following the trail as it curves to the left, you will hear the water for the first time. It comes into view as you enter the heavier vegetation. The town of Supai is close. You will follow the irrigation channel into Supai. The two miles following the town of Supai are packed with waterfalls, blue-green water, and tons of photo opportunities. It's just 2 miles to Havasu Falls from Supai. The campground and Mooney Falls are just beyond that.

Ultimate reward at the end of a supremely scenic descent down into the red rock of Havasu canyon. Visits to all three main falls (Havasu, Mooney, Beaver) is a must so plan accordingly. Tip: try to catch a 5:30 sunrise at Upper Navajo Falls: we had the whole falls to ourselves and it was marvellous. We went in the last week of October 2014 and it wasn't overcrowded.

Maybe anyone is selling permits for 26 August 2017? My bf is coming to visit me and really want to let him show the best of USA:)) please let me know if somebody can share camping place, we will help with cost! contact me a.gabrielaityte@gmail.com

Absolutely beautiful! I would give the Falls more than 5 stars if I could! The falls are 1.7 miles apart. There is a spring from Havasu that is .4 miles away. The water is drinkable. The spring is on your way to Mooney Falls. Campground starts after Havasu Falls and ends about a half a mile before Mooney. Getting downs to Mooney is an adventure. You will use ladders and chains to maneuver your way down. Kinda looks like it's from the Gooneys! Bring a tube to float down the creek!

From Hualapai Hilltop there is over a mile of switch back dropping all the way to the bottom of the canyon. From there the hike is mostly inside the canyon. We started at 4am and were at Supai by 7:15am
Another 2mi to the Campgrounds that is through deep sand. There are 4 waterfalls that you can hike to, havasu Falls and little Navajo you see on your way in. Mooney Falls is at the end of the Campground and is a difficult trail mostly because you scale down the mountain using chains and ladders. Beaver Falls is about 3mi from Mooney and is worth the hike with amazing water crossings and views.

Just got back from this trail yesterday! It is very hot in the Grand Canyon, so be advised. LOTS of water, electrolytes, and sodium should be packed to stay safe. Hike in the early morning or after 5pm in the heat of summer. It can be dangerous otherwise. The trail is very easy to follow so hiking with headlamps is fine. The first two mile descent/ascent into the Grand Canyon is the toughest. This is the most beautiful hike I've done, hands down! You need a permit to pass the village of Supai and proceed two miles further to the falls. I recommend you add this to your bucket list!

Great 4 days out in June with wife and friends. She secretly enjoyed it. We'll be back next year for sure. We took a six year old and made it. It's not easy l; I recommend you prepare.

From the town of Supai, it was still another 2 mile hike to Havasu Falls and to our campsite. We passed Fifty Foot Falls and New Navajo Falls just after about a mile from Supai. On our way to the campsite, we passed Havasu Falls and our first view of this world famous waterfall is simply unforgettable. Our campsite was a short walk from Havasu Falls and we spent the remainder of that first day cooling off in the beautiful turquoise waters of Havasu Falls. Being that it was Memorial Day Weekend, it was not as crowded as I was expecting. Our guides informed us that the Havasupai tribe have recently implemented limits on the number of guests which is a good thing as they have been here for prior Memorial Day Weekends where the crowds made for a very unpleasant weekend. The second day, we did the hike over to Mooney Falls where we descended ladders down the side of the cliff in order to get to the base of the falls. From here, we hiked as far down as Beaver Falls where we spent a good part of the day swimming in the cascading pools over limestone terraces. Day 3 was spent swimming at Fifty Foot Falls and Navajo Falls which were my 2 favorite swimming spots during our time here. After an awesome 3 days of hiking and waterfall exploring, we hiked back out to Hualapai Hilltop early on Day 4.

Literally can't believe I had the opportunity to finally experience Havasupai Falls in late June. The hike to the campground is well established - easy to follow - and beautiful. When I first saw the blue waters I smiled from ear to ear. I had the best time enjoying the views and swimming in the water, especially given the fact it was 100+ degrees. The hike back out was difficult but manageable. Definitely a good challenge. Be sure to bring plenty of stuff for blisters and don't forget to stop and actually apply the stuff!!! I hope to go back to Havasu someday!! Absolutely incredible!

Reservations at the lodge. Permit needed?

going early August between 1st and 4th anyone I can join or buy a permit from? I'm on my own and would really aprichiate it!! email me on berendkoedam@hotmail.com

Best hike in Grand Canyon

one of the most beautiful places I've been. spend more than one night there!

I would recommend this trail to anyone! Best time to go is May or October. A permit is needed since it is on a reservation. The permits can be purchased Jan/Feb of each year. A limited amount of permits are sold each year and most are taken by guided outfits. The waterfalls were amazing and refreshing after a 11 mile hike in, passing 50ft Falls then camping at Havasupai Falls. Once you set up camp you can go further down to Mooney Falls and Beaver Creek Falls.