Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls Trail

Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls Trail is a 22.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Supai, Arizona that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

cave

The Havasupai Indian Reservation is not part of the Grand Canyon National Park, but you cannot tell that from the scenery. From your very first step at the trailhead parking lot until your return at the end of your trip, you will be swiveling your head side to side to take it all in. The water is a turquoise blue/green and the perfect way to refresh the tired legs and back after the 12 mile trek down to the campground. Hitting the trail The parking lot at the trailhead is stunning to say the least. It is perched more than 1000 feet above the valley floor and provides one of the best vistas of the trip. The trail starts with a steep descent down the face of the box canyon to the valley floor by way of a series of switchbacks. If you have creaky knees, you will definitely feel this descent! Be on the lookout for the approaching mules. They have the right-of-way, and won't stop to wait for you to move to the side. Once you reach the valley floor, the trail bends to the north and follows the wash for 8 miles into the Indian town of Supai. Along the way, the canyon walls draw closer and the surroundings become more grand. You get a sense for the true size of the canyon walls when then tower hundreds of feet straight up as you make your way down the canyon. There is more shade in this narrow section of trail. The sun doesn't have the angle to penetrate the canyon and it helps to keep temperatures down. In this slot section ( which starts at about mile 7), you really need to watch for the mule packs. As they approach, move to the canyon wall side and not the cliff side. The wrong move could be disastrous as these animals move through. At the end of the slot section, it opens and the Havasu Creek comes in from the right side. As you cross the open expanse, following the trail as it curves to the left, you will hear the water for the first time. It comes into view as you enter the heavier vegetation. The town of Supai is close. You will follow the irrigation channel into Supai. The two miles following the town of Supai are packed with waterfalls, blue-green water, and tons of photo opportunities. It's just 2 miles to Havasu Falls from Supai. The campground and Mooney Falls are just beyond that.

can this be done in one day? me and my GF are coming out in August we are well traveled and endurance trail runners...we have never been here I was just trying to get some info on the trail down to the falls....502-338-6297 I would appreciate all the info thanks.

Best hike ever! 38.6mi in 4 day. Hilltop down to Beaver Falls and all points in between.

Best hike ever!!!

stunning.
Really hard to get permits, but if you can snag one, you're in for a treat. I recommend at least 2 nights down there. I did 1 and it was tiring and didn't leave time to explore the area much. (one day hiked in and camped over night, hiked out next AM)
It rained the entire time we were there, glad we were prepared with rain coats. A lot of people were in trash bags.
Respect the land, pack out your trash.

My son and I are hoping to hike this 5/19-5/20 if anyone has a spot for us to join them pls txt me 2064082433.

This year was my 3rd time going and it never gets old! Or less beautiful!

Hi guys I know this is booked in advance I was hoping if anyone had two free open spots on a permit on 5/13-5/14 I plan to camp if possible and I could pitch in on anything. Pls shoot me a txt 8324756646 thanks names frank

This is everything a hike should be. People who fly in miss so much of the desert landscape it's unfortunate. Easy in tough out. Make sure and leave very early in the morning on your hike out as there is little shade and the temperatures are very intense. 3L of water on the way out is helpful maybe even 4. The waterfalls are the best in the world. This place is straight out of fiction novels.

Most intense hike I have done in one day doing only 11 miles one way in the hot heat in August