Havasu Canyon Trail to Supai

Havasu Canyon Trail to Supai is a 14.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Supai, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Completed this hike last week. Recommend mules to carry camping gear. Use daypack to hike in. Each one of us brought 2 liters and two extra water bottles. Only use 1.5 each. Weather was great. Sun does come up of the hilltop and gets warm quick. While walking through the canyon, plenty of shade to find. Once you make it to the office to check in, you still have 2 miles to the campground. Brought only what we needed and slept great through the night. Amazing trip. When ppl say pictures dont do justice...very understated. A must!!

Can’t believe this is in Arizona. One of my all time favorite trails. The blue water looks like the Caribbean and the waterfalls are a incredible.

Backpacked over an extended weekend here. Permits were somewhat difficult to obtain to get on the reservation itself. Fairly flat hike in (except in/ out of the valley). We started very early in the morning but the hike did get very hot during midday sun. No need for a guide, everything was easily followed. The views and waterfalls were out of this world. We happens to take this trip when the Milky Way was above the falls, it was a once in a lifetime experience. This definitely was on my bucket list. Only disappointment was the amount of trash left at parts of the trail. It was definitely worth it, I would recommend this!

Great hike specially if you’re with good company. Start early, it can get hot! If you can, rent a donkey for your stuff, just bring snacks and water with you.

If you are a lover of animals, BEWARE! You’ll want to remove this from your bucket list if you have any sensitivities to witnessing animal neglect. I wish I had read these reviews instead of listening to word of mouth on how great it was. If I had really known about the conditions of the animals I honestly never would have gone. I felt I was actually in a third world country based on the conditions of the animals in the town of Havasu, the hill top, and even close to camp. Within the first 15 minutes of my hike in I witnessed a horse carrying who knows how much weight in coolers almost fall to its death slipping on a switchback corner then almost getting its neck broken because it was part of a roped group and the horses didn’t stop right away; random hikers were the ones who helped lift/push it to be rescued because the carrier person didn’t want to free it of its gear to be freed of the neck wrapped rope and the impending cliff edge, I saw many starving horses, starving dogs and some animals sick with diarrhea because they weren’t getting proper nutrition and vet care, and horses standing in extreme heat with bleeding open sores. I’ve uploaded pics I could take of horses without breaking tribal respect for no pictures. Being on tribal land and not having adequate cell service to report concerns until by then it could no longer be “tracked/found” was crushing. Please read all the reviews and follow the advice of others in that if you do decide to go DO NOT use a hiking guide company that contracts with the pack mules - force them to use the helicopter, do not use the pack mules yourself, and do not uses horses as a way out. Support the tribe’s needs in other ways... with funding for food, education, etc and alternative options for supporting the tourism that helps them support their own families. Do right by the animals by not further funding this type of demand. Although it was pretty it wasn’t worth all the pain and suffering I saw around me. Also a sewer line broke up in town and was contaminating the water so enjoying the water was off limits the entire time we were there. All I really could and wanted to do the entire time was think of a good solution that would help end the cruelty yet work for the poor families, but I realized as long as people pay to use the pack animals, and there’s no federal intervention, this will continue. This wasn’t what I expected from what others raved about (some people choosing to ignore the problem?) and let’s just say I definitely didn’t get home feeling serene or relaxed from my “vacation” as expected. Go to Zion’s instead. Hike Angels landing, the narrows, or hike the Grand Canyon. Many other bucket list hikes with a good sense of challenge to chose from if you don’t have the stomach for this and aren’t ready to backpack in and out yourselves, or research a company that doesn’t perpetuate the mistreatment (I don’t know if one). Get it in writing though. I’ve seen companies say they were boycotting for change which made it to press, but they are back to using the mules. Do the research if you decide to use a guided service!

Does anybody know if you need permits for this trail?

We started the hike at 12:45 PM. Weather is OK in November to start late. Took about 4 hours to the village of Supai. A tribe of about 209 people. They are dependent on tourists but tourism is not developed ( a good thing) and adults remain aloof mostly. The children are a lot more friendly. The hike is nice, not too hard. Didn't need more than 1 liter of water per person.

Wonderful. The trail in and out was not bad at all. I will go back again.

Our group left the Hilltop at about 2:45am so we could avoid the morning heat. We arrived in Supai just after the sun had risen about 4 hours later. I highly recommend leaving as early as possible since the canyon doesn't offer much shade. Wear shoes with stability because the majority of this hike (once down the switchbacks - about 2 miles down) is in a wash. Gorgeous hike with beautiful canyon sights. We didn't see any other people until we reached Supai and others were up and hiking out. I suggest carrying at least 3L of water and some powdered Gatorade for electrolytes and calories! You won't have access to clean water until you get to Supai and then 2.5 later at the campgrounds spring. We didn't filter the spring water, which was fine! The remainder of the hikes to Mooney, Beaver, and Havasu were gorgeous. You'll pass Havasu on your way to the campgrounds (about .5 miles before the camping area boundary). Mooney is about .75 miles from the beginning of the camping area with a hike down the cliff in addition. Beaver is another 2.8 miles down from Mooney. Our group hiked to Beaver partially through the water (we didn't use the trail for the first mile) and then utilized the trail for the last 1.8 miles. Absolutely amazing trip! If you go during the week, the crowds aren't large. We had Havasu to ourselves each morning until about 8am and we had Mooney to ourselves in the late afternoon. Highly recommend!

Our group of 12 started out from Hualapai Hilltop at about 8am for the hike into Supai. This trial is hot and dry and most people head out early in the morning in order to avoid the midday heat. If you're looking for solitude, this isn't the place. As Havasu Falls is very popular, the trail is crowded with people hiking into Supai or on their way back out. In addition to hikers, mule trains would periodically come through carrying packs and supplies to and from the town of Supai. The hike into Supai is relatively easy once you descend into the canyon. From there it is mostly level terrain across the sandy and gravel trail. It took us about 5 hours to get into Supai as we spent a lot of time stopping for photos, taking breaks where our guides would give us some explanation of the area, and waiting for the others in the group to catch up. Once in Supai, you had to check in and from the town it was another 2 mile hike to the campgrounds. We hiked out 3 days later. We left the campground in the dark at 5:15am. A group of 4 of us took the lead hiking at a good pace with minimal stops. We were eager to get back to Hualapai Hilltop before we lost most of the canyon shade and the heat of the day set in. The last uphill part through the switchbacks back to Hualapai Hilltop was definitely brutal but our group of 4 were able to make it back at 8:30 with the last of our group finishing just after 9:30

Best advice for this hike - start as early as you can! We left the parking lot a little before 6:30 am and our early hike out time helped us reach the partly-shaded path in between the canyons before the sun reached its full morning strength. Hiking down isn't too bad - I would definitely suggest a walking stick, though. Hiking up on the other hand.... I didn't really believe that the switchbacks would be too hard (I am in good aerobic shape), but WHEW LET ME TELL YOU - hiking up those switchbacks with 35+ lbs on my back in the blazing sun is HARD. I would suggest at least 3L of water for the trip down to Supai and 4L of water for the trip back to the parking lot. Leave as early as you can for the trip back - there isn't any shade once you leave the canyon - and shade in the canyon is hard to come by as well, if you leave later! Also, the morning glow makes the canyon walls look super cool. This hike is well worth it, because it leads to one of the most magestic places on earth!!!!! Please don't abuse the mules - hike your own gear in and hike your own gear out (if physically capable and you haven't developed some sort of food poisoning / sickness while you are down at the campgrounds). Enjoy!!!

Keep your pack light, your feet wrapped tight and your stay long... Majestic!

The hike into the campground from hilltop is mostly descending, and I would say yes it is moderate to easy getting there. The hike back out on the other hand, is challenging indeed. we left camp at 5:15am and didn't get to the Hilltop until 10:30, we dont take many rest stops and we hustled. I'd recommend leaving earlier to beat the heat (we went end of may). Those switchbacks are killer coming out when you're already tired and the heat is kicking in. Do the horses and mules a favor and don't contribute to thier use - its Animal abuse, and those who don't have horses wouldn't see it. enjoy!

Awesome hike, not very difficult but pretty. Stayed at the campsite & did the Beaver Creek Trail which was so peaceful, but get on the trail early to have it to yourself

A must see and must experience the full hike to camp.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Really busy on Sunday

Monday, October 17, 2016

Amazing! A must for your bucket list! Make time to see all the falls and camp out!

Monday, September 19, 2016

This may be the Garden of Eden. The colors and sights are absolutely surreal. An incredible and challenging hike. I backpacked in during the end of April and temperatures were perfect.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Yea it could be done in a day but why? My wife and I hiked the 10 miles to Havasu falls and camped for two nights and Hiked out the third day. We went in April of 2016, weather was awesome, not too hot in the day and not too cold at night. We chose to go with a guide that packed our tent and provisions we only packed in our packs with clothes and typical hiking gear. Pygmy Guide service was great and seemed to be the cheapest of the available guides. Do yourself a favor and go to Moody falls, it is a bit sketchy getting down the canyon but well worth it, take some gloves.

Friday, July 29, 2016

This is an incredible trail, correctly rated as moderate because of the steep descent on the way down. Once you get to the reservation, it's another couple of miles to camping. I don't think it's right to not make a reservation and not pay for camping. These are people who make most of their money off of the tourist seasons and who are generous enough to allow us on their spectacular land. Call WELL in advance for summer reservations, keeping in mind that flooding can happen in August, which is what shapes and changes the canyon and the waterfalls. Ah, the waterfalls. Bring a bathing suit because you'll want to spend every day swimming in the pools.