Hanging Garden Drive

Hanging Garden Drive is a 12.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Happy Jack, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 12.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,417 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

We hiked Tom's Creek Rd, no way our SUV was making it down that road. Didn't make it all the way to the water, wasn't sure how bad the road would be, but it is absolutely terrible so we didn't wanna even risk it and just decided to hike what we could. We did run into two black bears while hiking back out.

The road to get there is pretty rocky but aired down and disconnected in two jeeps was pretty fun and not too bad. Definitely need something with high clearance or it’s a very long hike. The trail down the the creek is very steep and slick but worth it. We didnt leave ourselves enough time to get to where we wanted to but will be making that journey again. Absolutely beautiful and so worth the steep hike out. Take some semi cheap but good tubes for the swims on some of the canyon areas. They will save you. Make sure you have a dry bag as well.

The road in to the trail head is super rocky and bumpy but so worth the trip. The trail down the canyon is really steep and parts are pretty slippery. Next time I will take the alternate road to a sois the steep climb. So beautiful once your on the creek. Definitely come prepared with good water shoes, dry bag and a float!!!

ohv/off road driving

We’ve done it all the way on a 4-door Wrangler. There was 1/2’ of snow on the ground, which made it difficult to follow the trail. Alltrails map is pretty good and it kept us on track. Trail is very rocky. Driving uphill is a bit challenging in these conditions. Overall it’s a lot of fun. Views of the canyon at the end of the trail are great.

Wed Nov 21 2018

I went during the 3rd week of October with my then 5 year old son. We spent a couple of nights back there and it was awesome. Didn't see a single other soul after we got off General Crook Trail which is exactly what I wanted. The water was cold but not unbearable. If you take Toms Creek Road in, you better have a fully lifted 4x4 because I started down it with a stock Xterra and had to turn around. This road is treacherous. I backtracked and ended up taking FSR 142 in.This road is still very rough, pitted, and full of large jagged rocks. It destroyed the side treads of my tires after I came out and I still bottomed out several times. Next time, I'm doing it on a dirtbike. Don't even think about taking a car in here. We saw several herds of deer and coyotes above the canyon on our way down but didn't see anything memorable down in the canyon. We did a lot of exploring upstream of hanging gardens and the whole canyon is just beautiful. We hiked in the stream for probably 75% of our stay, feet wet, and did lots of rock hopping and overall I didn't find the rocks to be that slippery. I brought along an inflatable donut for my boy to swim through the canyon areas where you had to traverse deep water pools. In the evening, bats would fly through these canyons. Set up hammocks on the side of the stream at night. Overall great experience if you want some peace and serenity away from civilization.

Wed Sep 05 2018