Groom Creek Loop Trail - #307

Groom Creek Loop Trail - #307 is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From downtown Prescott, take Gurley Street east to Mt. Vernon Avenue. Take Mt. Vernon (Senator Highway, Forest Road #52) south for approximately 6.5 miles to Groom Creek. Trailhead for Groom Creek Loop Trail #307 is east across Forest Road #52 from the campground.

Really fun ride. Lots of loose rock and steep climbs. Technical down hill.

This trail was amazing. Shade from tree tops complicated and an amazing work out. Beautiful scenery. Highly recommend this trail.

Just hiked this trail for the first time and i really enjoyed it. Taking the right side up is definitely easier then taking the left side up. Trail was really easy to follow well maintained and marked. Not really any great views from the top but if you're into forest hiking then this is the trail for you. lots of shade. even the ridge line is really wooded. I did the entire loop in 4.5 hrs that was with several breaks and a 40lb pack. 32oz of water was plenty for me. There is parking right at the trail head with restrooms and i believe there's no fee to park. but i could be wrong. I was dropped off. But yeah it's a great hike and I'm looking forward to doing it again. Oh yeah. one more thing. the creeks were dry. (hike date 5-5-18)

fantastic trail.some elevation, lots of trees and shade.

Gorgeous trail up Spruce Mt! Started at 7am and it was very peaceful. Birds singing their morning songs and the sun rising over the mt. Saw a lot of deer hanging out, some right in the middle of the trail. The weather was perfect! One of my favorites so far for sure!

This is my favorite hike in the Prescott area. I've done the out and back to the top of Spruce Mountain but I enjoyed this loop even more. Saw about 10 deer running through the forest. This was in the afternoon. Started about 10 a.m. Weather was great. Love all the pine trees, the great smells and listening to the wind through the trees and, of course, the spectacular view at the top. Will do this one again and again.

Fabulous hiking. For older not in great hiking shape people like me, it was a bit of a challenge. Somehow went the wrong way right from the beginning and wound up hiking 2 miles out of our way. Understand now counter-clockwise is definitely the harder way. Was a little disappointed watch tower at top of mountain was closed. Must not be open on weekends. One more thing - I think the All Trails directions get you to trail 377. Trail. Trail 307 (Grooms) is at the 6.5 mile mark from Gurley St.

Reminds me of Michigan!

Omg what a perfect morning. Prescott was buried in fog, but Spruce Mtn was bright and clear. Got started at 5:30 am, 37F and brilliant starlight at the trailhead. Had a couple of false starts following blue tree blazes in the darkness. Once I caught the trail had no more issues. Pretty sunrise at the watch tower. Loved it.

total loop is 9 miles, only time for 3...wished I could have done it in its entirety

I like this hike, but AllTrails should really update their "directions" which are very confusing. They should read that you will be on the FR52a for some time and then you'll see a sign for the 307 Trailhead on the right. If you have hit where the FR52a is no longer paved, you've gone to far. Again, I liked then trail, I just think it is funny that the name the forest calls it, "the 307" is nowhere to be seen on AllTrails. So, other things. it was snowy and somewhat muddy, which is to be expected this time of year. A very enjoyable, and for me, challenging trip. My trekking poles saved my life or my ankles several times. Good views, nature around, doing their thing. Only ran into a few other folks

Beautiful trail. Some challenges and some easy hiking. Perfect for training for long hikes.

Went up the “short” side with my teen daughter and her friends. Beautiful well maintained trail and not a lot of people! Great views!

Beautiful hike. Only saw one person on the trail on a holiday weekend.

Great loop with good elevation. Views were beautiful. We did the counter clockwise route. We didn't do the watchtower and I wish we had. The views must be incredible.

Very nice hike. Well maintained trail and great views from the Ranger tower. Unfortunately it was locked so I was unable to lookout from the inside. Only 1:40 mins from Phoenix metro area.

Good hike with beautiful views. I went counterclockwise for the first time today. Long hike, but one of the better hikes I have done.

My absolute favorite trail in Prescott! I recommend taking the long way (6 miles) up and then doing the shorter (3.5) on the way down. Don't skip out on the watchtower. The views are unparalleled. Whether you live in Prescott or are just coming up for the day add the Groom Creek Loop trail to the top of your list.

Great moderate hike. Went counter clockwise on the loop. Enough elevation gain to make it challenging. Saw deer, birds, squirrels, butterflies, and lizards. Trail offered plenty of shade and is both rocky and sandy. Make sure to go up into the lookout tower. The view is phenomenal. Wonderful way to spend a Sunday in August!

When you get to the trailhead from the parking lot. There's a sign saying 3.5 miles to the lookout and 6 miles on Groom Creek trail. I took the longest way (6 miles) to the lookout. It was tough comparing to taking 3.5 miles to the lookout. So, if you want the easy way to the lookout, take the 3.5 miles to the lookout and then to Groom Creek trail loop back to the parking lot. If you are looking for a good exercise, do what I did this morning. It was a very nice hike in the early morning. Took me 4 hours with a stop at the lookout. The host was nice! I did not know that I had to "knock" and figured it was closed but she opened the lid. It was very interesting inside. Beautiful view! Be sure to come in the morning to beat the heat in the summer!!!!

/Some bugs today but not too bad. It started raining about noon but luckily we had our backpack rain cover. We took this path counter clockwise and it makes it a little more difficult IMO. The lockout tower is super cool and the one lady is nice. You can go inside the tour and get orientated. Mount Union is a little higher but I believe this tower is easier to get to.
I will do it again.

the only downside to this trail is the massive amount of horse feces. if you can ignore that then you will have a great time.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great walk, early morning in Summer. Saw Coyote, Horn Toad on trail. Dogs loved it!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sweet walk, long uphill when doing this hike counterclockwise. Saw about three people total. Great peaceful walk will definitely do this Eleven-miler her again.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great hike, a little tough for a first timer like me but enjoyed it. My gps recorded 4 miles up to the left to the lookout tower. Took some amazing pictures from inside the tower.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Fantastic hike - 3 hours at a moderate hiking pace averaging 20 minute miles.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Great trail. Did the whole loop. Trail was so much fun. When starting go to the left first to get to the top. Then coming down the other side it's easier. My opinion. But what a sight when up there. With a 1700 ft climb it is definitely worth it.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Great trail! Only hiked 3 miles in. Didnt make it to the lookout tower. Had to turn back to catch the sunset. Will complete it next time! Beautiful! Even ran into 6 bucks leaping out in front of us at twilight.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

We really liked this trail, saw a lot of deer and it was moderately well wooded so shade was available for hotter months. We also saw a coyote as soon as we left on the road that was large and fluffy compared to the Phoenix ones. If you go near evening you will definitely see a lot of deer though and it was a beautiful hike. May have taken a longer path by accident but gps said over 10.5 miles.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Great hike! Scenery is beautiful!