Groom Creek Loop Trail

Groom Creek Loop Trail is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Prescott: Take Gurley Street east to Mt. Vernon Avenue. Take Mt. Vernon (Senator Highway, Forest Road 52) south for approximately 6.5 miles to Groom Creek. Continue on FR 52A for 4.5 miles. You will have just passed the entrance to Goldwater Lake before coming to FR 52A. Turn left onto FR 52A and travel for about four miles to the picnic area.

Beautiful hike. Only saw one person on the trail on a holiday weekend.

Great loop with good elevation. Views were beautiful. We did the counter clockwise route. We didn't do the watchtower and I wish we had. The views must be incredible.

Very nice hike. Well maintained trail and great views from the Ranger tower. Unfortunately it was locked so I was unable to lookout from the inside. Only 1:40 mins from Phoenix metro area.

Good hike with beautiful views. I went counterclockwise for the first time today. Long hike, but one of the better hikes I have done.

My absolute favorite trail in Prescott! I recommend taking the long way (6 miles) up and then doing the shorter (3.5) on the way down. Don't skip out on the watchtower. The views are unparalleled. Whether you live in Prescott or are just coming up for the day add the Groom Creek Loop trail to the top of your list.

Great moderate hike. Went counter clockwise on the loop. Enough elevation gain to make it challenging. Saw deer, birds, squirrels, butterflies, and lizards. Trail offered plenty of shade and is both rocky and sandy. Make sure to go up into the lookout tower. The view is phenomenal. Wonderful way to spend a Sunday in August!

When you get to the trailhead from the parking lot. There's a sign saying 3.5 miles to the lookout and 6 miles on Groom Creek trail. I took the longest way (6 miles) to the lookout. It was tough comparing to taking 3.5 miles to the lookout. So, if you want the easy way to the lookout, take the 3.5 miles to the lookout and then to Groom Creek trail loop back to the parking lot. If you are looking for a good exercise, do what I did this morning. It was a very nice hike in the early morning. Took me 4 hours with a stop at the lookout. The host was nice! I did not know that I had to "knock" and figured it was closed but she opened the lid. It was very interesting inside. Beautiful view! Be sure to come in the morning to beat the heat in the summer!!!!

/Some bugs today but not too bad. It started raining about noon but luckily we had our backpack rain cover. We took this path counter clockwise and it makes it a little more difficult IMO. The lockout tower is super cool and the one lady is nice. You can go inside the tour and get orientated. Mount Union is a little higher but I believe this tower is easier to get to.
I will do it again.