Green Mountain Trail

Green Mountain Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tucson: Drive up the Catalina Highway either to the General Hitchcock Campground trailhead or to the San Pedro Vista Point trailhead. Both are clearly marked.

Great trail! Maverick spring was full and the trail is went maintained. If you have the extra time I was suggest to head up Guthrie Mountain. The views were simply amazing!

My favorite Tucson area trail to date. I went from the bottom to the top so I could have an easy way back. This is a tough one with lots of prolonged climbing, especially as you make your way up to Bear Saddle, and my knees were definitely sore the next day. If you're used to the desert like I am, the forest and mountain views are stunning and invigorating, and the slight drop in temperature is very nice as well. Saw lots of wildlife on this trail, too: one coati, a squirrel, tons of birds, and five wild turkeys.

There is a sign and a parking lot for the Green Mountain and Bug Spring trails about 1/2 mile before the General Hitchcock campground. I parked here and began the trail from this point, which is the little red dot just to the southwest of the trailhead marked here. It's a very pretty little piece of trail and I recommend adding it to the trip if you can handle it.

As others mention there are many intersecting trails and social trails. I would have had a hard time staying on the trail if I hadn't had GPS on my phone. (And actually, I still ended up missing the junction to my trailhead on the way back and ended up exiting at General Hitchcock campground and walking down the street to my car.)

Also, your mileage may vary, but I definitely wished I had brought an entire gallon of water with me on this hike even though it wasn't hot. Lotta mouth breathing going up that mountain.

Perfect day hike in early November. Very nice trail immediately off Hitchcock Campground (although the campground is seasonal and currently closed). Steams near campground were dry. Around halfway point there's some burnt trees (not many but some) that left an incredibly nice smell in the air.

This is a fairly easy trail for a seasoned hiker. I did it with a 25 lb backpack for training and I'm 58 yrs old. I went from the low altitude end up to the maverick trail and took that 0.8 miles to Mt Guthrie which is by far the most scenic part of the trail and why I rated it a 4. Total hike was 6.2 miles. Look out for mountain bikers but not too many hikers on it and overall a very pleasant hike.

This trail totally kicked my ass but the views at the rock formation at the end were worth every step. I think it's closer to 8 miles out and back from the signed trailhead. The funny thing is apparently the end can be reached in about 1/4 mile from a nearby trailhead- or so I was told by someone surprised at how tired I looked. Well maintained and fairly easy to follow. Creek beds were dry today. I'll echo what others have said about GPS keeping me on track as many other trails intersect.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

The views were amazing, some spots of the trail were very over grown and not enough signs to let you know your direction. There are a ton of trails that intersect with Green Mnt. trail so it made it confusing! Really the only reason I rated so low! IMO you definitely need the GPS from this app!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

This trail is hard, my knees are most definitely feeling it. Yet I would do it again. The views are good and there's some areas where you can climb the rocks. The trail is easy to follow, I only had two slip ups and it was in the first mile where the stream is.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

I never knew there was such a lush forest in Arizona but you have to drive up Mt.Lemmon to get there. The hike is fun but rugged but being a California native I was just happy to enjoy whatever Arizona have to offer!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

This trail provides a steady journey of alpine exercise. Well maintained, easy access and fago

Monday, May 30, 2016

Dont know if there is a trail by this name in Ft McDowell, but there is on Mt Lemmon near Tucson. That Upper Green Mountain trail is easily acessable from Catalina Highway, and is a green, forested trail.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Probably my favorite hike I've done on Mt. Lemmon so far. Rewarding views with less fire damage than other hikes I've been on. Quiet and serene.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Beautiful views on this trail. Hiked this trail mid-September and the temperature was perfect. Started at mile marker 17.5 from Catalina Highway and hiked down to General Hitchcock campground. A lot of up and down, but beautiful views of the west and north valleys. We loved coming out at the campground - before that there are some beautiful rock formations and a nice little creek awaiting us. Keep on the lookout for baby horny toads - they are all over if you look for them carefully.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Nice trail. We went on a rainy day so it was nice and cool. Fairly steep in some spots. Saw a Coues Whitetail doe on the trail!

Monday, July 20, 2015

By far one of my favorite hikes! The views of the back of Mt. Lemmon was breathtaking. The trail is down hill and has parts that are clear for jogging down. I didn't go point to point and didn't complete the last mile, instead I went left at one of the last forks and ended in this beautiful green serene place. All in all I was out for two hours, and hiked round trip 4.5 miles.

Monday, December 19, 2011

A great technical mountain bike trail. Best done with a shuttle vehicle. Lots of steep,technical climbing and descending on this one. Camping with pit toilets available at the bottom of the trail. Be sure to keep an eye and an ear out for other trail users as it can be pretty easy to sneak up on people.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nice trail made it into a loop using Brush Corral tr #19 and Short cut trail #21A