Granite Mountain Trail

Granite Mountain Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,656 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Once you leave the forested area below it starts to heat up. Still lots of wildflowers and many butterfly’s in late August. Fun rick hopping and great views in too, but I went 180 around summit and couldn’t find a way to the very top (without climbing gear). Very hot and no shade on the way down with lots of lose rocks which makes footing tricky. Take lots of water.

A good hike with no traffic. I made a loop coming back to the last 1.5 miles of the trail so as not to traverse the same trail in and out. Total miles just under 11.

Start early if you’re doing this in the summer. Not much shade once you start hiking up. Not too difficult but it’s decently long and elevated a bit. I tried to get to the “true summit) once I backtracked from the lookout ( go north instead of south at the end of the eastern portion of the path) but there were tons of boulders and brush in the way. Not to mention the path wasn’t well defined at parts. I did see cairns and rocks placed at various points so people do hike up to the true peak. I probably could’ve found the way up but I was by myself in the middle of the day in July...not a good idea if I got lost or injured.

Bring a lunch and make an entire day of it. Once you are on top the views are heavenly. Such a fun group hike. It’s can get hot durning the day so wear a sun hat and protection from the sun and plenty of water.

Awesome!

Hiked this with our dog and it’s such an incredible hike! I can’t wait to go back and do it again. It took us 2 hours to hike out and back-packed light wind breakers because the top was a bit windy and water with some snacks. Moderate trail the whole way and incredible views!

Solid climb, great views. Will be doing again for sure

Beautiful and green! So many flowers and many more to come. It was rather windy at top, but there is no danger in being blown off! It was nice to finally get to hike this because I liver right next to it.

It's a shame that locals don't do this hike more often! It's a gem. We went up to the summit and from the parking lot, it was 10 miles total with some stopping for pics and resting along the way. The views while climbing are dramatic, especially of the Bradshaws at the top. At the same time, It was a beast with the 20 mph winds and pretty tough grade climbing. And coming down you have to be pretty careful with the loose dirt and some shaky rocks. But without a doubt, it was a great accomplishment, and I want to do it again!

Wow!! I have lived in the Prescott area over 20 years and never completed this hike! The trail was superb and the views were incredible. It says it's 7.9 miles, but from the parking area to the top and back, we logged 10 miles. It was rather windy today, and the wind gusts up top were pretty intense. This is definitely a hike worth doing!

Great incline which is well shaded in the morning includes beautiful views!

loved the hike

With the conditions of the hike, getting to the top was a bit of a challenge. Hiking in 2 feet of snow, no foot prints to follow , not knowing where a cactus may be hiding, was difficult to navigate . Overall great hike, especially being able to see everything covered in snow!